-------------------------------------------------------

> I think motive is an issue here. If the

> Government genuinely wishes to help the unemployed

> back into work by making them feel socially useful

> and training them etc., then fine. However, if

> this is about demeaning or punishing so-called

> scroungers or malingerers, then I am not

> comfortable with that.

But I'm agreeing with you LadyMuck, this is exactly my point too. and so is DJKQ

>

>

> @#$%& @#$%& @#$%& @#$%& (because Brendan says we

> can)

Oh bless you zeban...I wasn't having a go at you at all...

No no no no no no...

I was being facetious with the Queen...in respect of her Majesty's comment: "I absolutely agree with every word..."

Nothing to do with anything YOU said...LOL!

I agree with much of what you have said, bye the way.

Apologies for any confusion.

This is all rather reminiscent of a policy from the dying days of the Major government. Imaginatively entitled "Project Work", an experiment was conducted in the Medway Towns and Hull, into getting the long term unemployed (more than 2 years) back into work. Intensive one to one help was given for 13 weeks, followed by a period of compulsory work experience. It was considered to have been a success by the government and was due to be rolled out across the country, then they lost the election.

I think most people forced into this position, would rather go and do cash in hand jobs, pay no taxes and generally slide out of the system and live like old wartime spivs. A few years ago the eastern block people were being picked up as cheap labour on London streets, most even helped to build the Dome. There are even children used as slave labour in the fields.Tax lost is not a good idea. But neither is reducing people to doing menial jobs. Even the prisoners in our jails aare not treated like that. They used to make things for society, now they play games.? How can you take food and comfort away from children.,if their parents refuse to work for peanuts.?