News for the next 9 months

SeanMacGabhann

Listen I love a wedding me. I really do. But are they going to invite me so that I can get Brahms and Liszt on the free plonk, dance inappropriately with the groom?s nan and end the evening holding onto the turf behind the marquis to stop myself falling off the earth?

Well are they?

Are they buggery.

In case there was any doubt, I wasn't taking the piss earlier either. I love a good royal wedding complete with David Dimbleby voice over:

"Ah yes and now Princess Maude is just arriving, looking resplendent in fuscia and purple........Princess Maude of course is the one hundred and thiry seven year old second neice twice removed of Prince Charles's cousin's late goldfish......."

Bloody marvellous. Can't wait. And we haven't even got on to the subject of commemorative mugs yet...........

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Techinically, I'm deriding the British media and

> it's fawning attitude to said monarchy, not the

> monarchy itself (not on this thread anyway)

>

> Good luck to the pair involved but it's just going

> to be endless, godawful coverage

course it is, what else to do? at least we can have a good old (British) moan about it

>

> The news channels are reporting how other news

> channels are covering this... and there is 9

> months left!

oooh do you think other forums are reporting how other forums are covering this? you started it on here Sean

(Miss, Miss, Sean MacGabhann started it, he did, he did, he DID)

what's not to understand ImpetuousVrouw? Let me try to explain. A bunch of rich privileged people will spend some of our moeny on an over indulgent wedding. They will wear marvellous hats. Posh frock designers will fling themselves at Ms Middleton like commuters at a departing tube train. Heads of state will be dressed in the kind of outfits you never ever see at any other time. David Dimbleby will be sucking throat sweets for weeks beforehand. Small shiny faced children will wave union jacks and cheer. Crowds will throng along Pall Mall. Bunting will flutter, sales of tea and scones will go through the roof, and we will know all the lyrics to all the versus of the national anthem. Soldiers will have alarmingly well buffed-busbies. The sun will shine. London will look beautiful. Life will be full of hope and smiles again.

Oooooooh I LOVE a good wedding.

How could you NOT be excited? Money, even tax payers hard earned money, can't buy that sort of fun!

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> felt-tip Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > he has finally capitulated has he? she is already

> > getting a bit munty. she wont age well.

>

> You reckon? I think she's a much more natural

> beauty than her mum-in-law-to-be-that-was. She

> doesn't need a nose job, for a start.

Aye, she's a good looking girl. Not exactly munty (whatever that means).

I'm still absolutely sick of seeing her on TV though.

I wish good luck to the pair of them, but like LadyGooner, not sure I?d want that ring bearing in mind what happened to Diana. Still, at least he?s given her a second hand ring rather than spending a small fortune on a new one. Wonder what else they can recycle for the wedding?

I do think it?s remarkably good timing though. A nice royal wedding to distract us all from the woes of the recession (like that hasn?t been done before). I also wonder if someone pointed out that they?d better get a move on, as if they wanted to get married it had better either be 2011 or 2013 or later ? don?t think that London could cope with the Olympics AND a royal wedding in 2012. We?d go into economic meltdown!

Cynical, moi? ;-)

I am not a royalist, but won?t this wedding generate income for this country in these economic times?

Also as I was watching the news regarding this I found it quite funny when they said, Prince Williams is marrying a commoner ? hardly she does not come from a council estate and her parents are not blue collar workers. It just goes to show how far removed the royal family are if they think that Kate Middleton who comes from an upper middleclass background as common.

Technically, unless you are part of the aristocracy* you are a commoner. Doesn?t matter how much money you have.

*Who for some reason have been allowed to proliferate into the modern era in Britain instead of being told bugger off and make their own way or try their luck with the guillotine.

Royal engagement newspaper bullshit round-up:

Each and every one us will be deeply affected by the looming royal marriage... (Peter Oborne, Daily Telegraph)

In an important sense, this betrothal has far more to teach a new generation about relationships - and fidelity, too. (Bel Mooney, Daily Mail)

For Kate and William, their engagement has profound national significance. They will help form our collective imagination. They are now part of what we are as a nation, how we define ourselves as individuals. (Peter Oborne, Daily Telegraph)

As somebody whose business it is to study the human heart.. (Bel Mooney, Daily Mail - she actually wrote those words)

Today we are wiser and perhaps more humane. The unrealistic expectations that destroyed Charles and Diana have gone. (Peter Oborne, Daily Telegraph - he's playing a blinder)

It is rare these days that we glimpse broad sunlit uplands, but this is one such moment. (Daily Telegraph editorial - sweet fucking Jesus)

And the winner is (obviously)...

Diana, the bride at every royal funeral and the mourner at every royal wedding, was present in more than just the engagement ring which sat so heavily on the hand of this young woman who must now walk a mile in her bloodied shoes, on a road leading who knows where. (Julie Burchill, The Independent)

It'll be easy enough to ignore, just skip the pages in the newspapers, ignore the radio watch boxsets of Black Books or Seinfeld instead of watching the hapless couple and if anyone tries to engage you in conversation on the matter feign complete ignorance of it.

Heir to the throne? Ironic considering he's about two years away from a hair-weave.

Ridgley - her background is pretty humble - her mum was a flight attendent, her father was I believe a Pilot - they got rich off the back of a business they started together. Both her parents roots are in northern coal mining families. She may have had a upper-Middle class upbringing, but she is definately of the "commoner" variety.