Beautiful flowers being picked and walked on.

loni

Someone in the paper today whinging that the police had seen his daughter picking flowers ("There were hundreds of them") and confiscated them. It probably wouldn't have been worth pointing out to him that if everyone picked some,there wouldn't be hundreds. My child is, of course, entitled to do what it likes, is what he thinks, I imagine.

There have been 'luxury flats' on the riverside at Woolwich for well over ten years now. They tend to brand it as Royal Arsenal and not mention the W word.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Crikey. Surely only a matter of time till it

> becomes East Greenwich Village then.

picking a flower for your mum is a delightful part of childhood. so you haven't got a garden. what to do?

don't exaggerate the situation.

if all those who viewed this thread sat on goose green they would flatten the grass and flowers. but it aint gonna happen

alice Wrote:

> picking a flower for your mum is a delightful part of childhood.

Daisys, bluebells, etc from the park or woods - fine.

Flowers that have been carefully planted by a gardener - selfish

alice Wrote:

> picking a flower for your mum is a delightful part

> of childhood. so you haven't got a garden. what to

> do?

>

> don't exaggerate the situation.

>

>

> if all those who viewed this thread sat on goose

> green they would flatten the grass and flowers.

> but it aint gonna happen

It's this sort of blas? attitude which sums up the attitude of many of today's younger generation. It seems politeness and good will towards the many, holding a door open for someone, not allowing your kids to run a mock in public, apologising out of general good will just because it's the right thing to do when you accidentally get in someone's way, it's all just been forgotten. It seems younger people don't actually acknowledge or care about anything other than themselves and how a situation can benefit them. Decades of rapant, selfish capitalism has gotten us to the point where we are now. Picking flowers which are there for everyone's enjoyment IS NOT OK, what's so difficult to understand about this point?

Louisa.

The parents of these children are ignorant and these children will possibly also grow into ignorant adults. It is an offence to pick flowers in a public place. Maybe there should be 'on the spot' fines for doing so or allowing a child to do so. The flowers are there for everyone's enjoyment. A bunch of daffs from the local supermarket will not break the bank so go there is you want a bunch of daffs - otherwise sit in the park and enjoy them in their natural environment.

alice Wrote:

> picking a flower for your mum is a delightful part

> of childhood. so you haven't got a garden. what to

> do?

Get a window box and teach kids to grow flowers for mum. Teaches life skills, natural history, patience and nurturing and means much more to mum and leaves the park flowers in situ for everyone to enjoy.

I remember my son brought home a daffodil bulb in a pot when he was in primary school. The children had learned how to plant the bulb and care for it as it grew. At a given date the potted daffodils were judged and a certificate was given to each child including one for first prize. The children learned respect and how to nurture and take care of something. Helped to stop them growing into selfish adults!

edhistory Wrote:

> Picking protected English bluebells not fine.

Thanks - I remember them being quite common in the local woods when I was growing up, didn't realise they were protected.

When I was little and picked buttercups etc., my nan would tell me that they're beautiful but so much more beautiful outside where they belong.

Consequently, having fresh flowers is something we don't do but we have lots of pots and a beautiful garden because of it.

And going out for a walk is lovely. Seems to be a habit that isn't so commonly enjoyed anymore (and no, I'm not particularly 'old') - it's just how I was brought up...

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> When I was little and picked buttercups etc., my

> nan would tell me that they're beautiful but so

> much more beautiful outside where they belong.

>

> Consequently, having fresh flowers is something we

> don't do but we have lots of pots and a beautiful

> garden because of it.

>

> And going out for a walk is lovely. Seems to be a

> habit that isn't so commonly enjoyed anymore (and

> no, I'm not particularly 'old') - it's just how I

> was brought up...

Nancy Astor: Why Mr Shaw, it's the height of summer and yet you have no flowers in the house! Aren't you fond of flowers?

George Bernard Shaw: Very fond indeed, madam. I'm also very fond of children, yet I don't cut their heads off and stick them in bowls round the house.

edhistory Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Daisys, bluebells, etc from the park or woods -

> > fine.

>

> Picking protected English bluebells not fine.

>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinthoides_non-sc

> ripta

To be fair when I was young, in the woods on Gower

there were so many bluebells and wild garlic

edit: I think the two help each other grow ??

literally thousands, but that was back in the day.

I'd be sad if that picture had gone now.