Miranda Hart- Superb Comedienne

Simonet

I think Miranda Hart's show is terrible, really weak material.

But I also thought that latest Steve Coogan thing The Trip was unwatchable, and it got rave reviews.

Humour is a funny thing (no pun intended), would be a dull old world if we all laughed at the same things, etc etc etc

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not lady,

> never lady.

>

> Woman. Woman. Is it so hard to say?

Exactly! Lady has so many connotations, and yes David_Carnell, the way language describes us (women) is very important.

David, that's true if you don't subscribe to Lacan's theory of the signifier and the signified. But I do, to some degree.

And Sean, I apologise, I'm in Christmas party mood. Can't find any mulled wine, but I've cracked open the Ferrero Rocher and in the absence of cracker jokes am making the funnies.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't think the Trip was even billed as a comedy

> outright anyway - more of a pathos-filled drama

xxxxxxxx

It was certainly pathos-filled, but not in a good way :))

Lawyers in pedantry shock!!

It from Latin executorum to execute, executor(m), one who executes (literally gets something done) and the -rix suffix is the female form.

Incidentally that's where actor/actress comes from too actrix, or actr?z en espa?ol and actrice en francais from whence we got the word.

Ps no I'm not a lawyer.

To echo Carnelli, there are surely things actually worth worrying about, I'm not sure how eliminating all gender from English will help. English'll be horribly dull when it's all one this and it that won't she ;-)

I can't imagine Piersy arguing that words aren't imbued with meaning, but I'd love to see him try :)

I think the argument is that taking away the word doesn't take away the meaning, there are other ways of expressing gender discrimination than getting all het up about words.

Stalin, the crazy little pumpkin (at the risk of Godwin) said ?Death solves all problems - no man, no problem.?. He notoriously attempted this 3,000,000 times and was still unsuccesful.

Thatcher for example was no Prime Ministeress, but she was the Iron Lady. Couldn't keep the gender out of it, it seems.

So taking away the word doesn't take away the problem. It may even make it worse - if changing the word doesn't take away the problem, then you're left with the image of thousands of women scurrying in circles on a pointless errand. Not a great asset to the gender debate.

So taking away the word doesn't take away the problem. It may even make it worse - if changing the word doesn't take away the problem, then you're left with the image of thousands of women scurrying in circles on a pointless errand. Not a great asset to the gender debate.

What the hell you talking about now fella? I don't follow that comment at all.

My point comes down to this - phrases like "lady doctor" aren't replicated for men (has anyone ever asked for a gentleman doctor - complete with cravat and top hat perhaps?), words like comedienne effectively serve as a diminuative. They're patronising rather than differentiating - the female equivalent of 'man' is 'woman', not 'lady' - it's really simple.

To say there are more important things to worry about - arguably yes - parity on pay isn't due to be heading our way any time in the next 50 years. To say it's not important that an entire gender is patronised on a daily basis, well some would argue fellas, that that's typical of a patriarchal view..!