Miranda Hart- Superb Comedienne

Simonet

I'm not sure if "black" did turn to "coloured" but regardless

most black people above a certain age, with experience of segregation in the US for example (even if it's only watching old movies) will be aware of the term coloured and it's implications.

If you are going to insist on using it, best of luck to you

http://www.biloxischools.net/schools/beauvoir/elvis%20assignment/segregated%20water%20fountain.jpg

I'm not using it, and didn't bring it up. I think that was you, but could be wrong - on iPad at the moment, and haven't quite worked out how to multitask.

If people think poorly of female comics, it ain't going to get changed by bamboozling then into thinking they're male.

If people have gender anxieties when visiting doctors we ain't going to change that by concealing their gender.

As for woman being carrying less baggage than lady, well I've never been insulted for being a 'lady' but more than once for being a 'woman'.

If the prejudice is there, changing the word won't take it away.

Huguenot Wrote:

> As for woman being carrying less baggage than

> lady, well I've never been insulted for being a

> 'lady' but more than once for being a 'woman'.

Can I ask the most stupid q. ever on this Forum Huguenot ? Are you female ?

I've been intrigued by your comments for a long time on here, long b4 I decided to contribute as Simonet, and if true, I never knew and am astonished without being facetious in any way.

Simonet Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Let's have Josie Long and Sarah Millican

> instead

> > (although the latter is making a bid for Mike

> > McIntyre ubiquity)

> >

> > There are plenty more... Jo Caulfield, Nina

> Conti,

> > Laura Solon, Mary Bourke..

>

> This may be for the comedic cognescenti but I have

> only heard of Jo Caulfield and Josie Long rings

> the faintest of bells, in truth.

I haven't heard of all of them either. I think sarah millican used to be funnier in the early days, maybe going the same way as jo brand now...

Gina Yashere and Shappi Khorsandi who have been regulars on mock the week always make me laugh.

Similarly didn't realise use of the word comedienne was intended to be patronising any more than use of the word actress.

I don't find Miranda Hart's 'sitcom' funny. To me it's in the same boring, puerile, gut wrenchingly safe mould as My Family and it's ilk. Jo Brand I've found funny in the past and the late Linda Smith was a comic genius. And for men to say women aren't funny is load of sexist nonsense.

And I think you've been in the sun too long Huguenot. Are you being a bit of a cunt just for the sake of it or just trying to wind a few of the gullible up a bit? Either way it makes for unpleasant reading and coming from an obviously intelligent man like yourself you really should know better.

No, I'm genetically a man, although I'm aware that semantically the term carries many other connotations that may be more or less appropriate.

I do so hope that you're not going to make the suggestion that if I'm not a woman I'm not entitled to comment? DJKQ reverted to just calling me a woman hater the other day, and that was both tiresome and incorrect.

To clarify, I'm debating merely the practicality or effectiveness of amending dictionaries to achieve social or political goals. Newspeak didn't control Winston Smith, it took torture to achieve that.

SMG, having looked it up, historically terms for African Americans started with African, changed to colored or Negro when they were seeking citizenship (black was rejected for having too many negative connotations), focused on Negro in the sixties with Luther King, went back to black in the seventies with James Brown, and Jesse Jackson is currently campaigning to a full circle return to African American.

Double-push the home button on ipad ? only works on 4.2 os tho

Your argument is that changing words changes nothing. Rosie used

?I'm not talking about banning any words, and I'm certainly not for 'wimmin' and its ilk - I'm talking about moving away from using certain words that patronise or belittle (however well-meaningly). Was the move from 'coloured' to 'black' also unedifying, diminishing and pointless??

As an example and you have, unless I?ve been reading you wrong, insisting ever since that it hasn?t helped anyone

Well hold the front page but I think that for all the problems that still exist, things are demonstrably better for black people. It?s for a whole bunch of reasons but jettisoning words with negative connotations surely played a part

So, let?s forget about race, gender, wheelchairs and all the rest of it for a minute

Making some things unnaceptable to say is one of the building blocks of progress. It doesn?t change blinkered minds but it does mean the next generation hears it less. All baby steps of course but not negligible either

To go back further? someone said it would mean not having best Actor/Actress awards at the Oscars etc. Is that a bad thing? Just having best Actor awards would probably result in men dominating for years during which people finally twig ?ah I see.. it?s because women get comparatively shit roles in movies!? and that might see a shake up there as well

Ipad point #2 ? having quotation marks on a shifted keyboard is design madness. Sort it out apple

Jah, I don't know what I could possibly be saying that could be deemed as 'unpleasant'.

I have no issue with the feminist movement, I agree with all who have suggested that there are issues to be addressed. Long may the ambition to address them thrive.

I have an issue with people applying totalitarian approaches to language to achieve political or social goals. I abhor them because not only are they as oppressive as the injustices they seek to overthrow, but because they manifestly don't work.

I think it's obtuse hyperbole to equate the use of the word 'comedienne' with violent racist epithets.

If people have gender anxieties when visiting doctors we ain't going to change that by concealing their gender.

Oh for fuck's sake Huguenot, you're being deliberately obtuse. Were you staggeringly bad at verbal reasoning as a child? Woman is to man as lady is to...?

There's no gender concealment going on here, simply a request that women be afforded equal respect. Unless you would ask for a gentleman doctor (to what, open the door for you and kiss your hand?), don't ask for a lady one.

Ask for a female or woman doctor by all means, but not a goddamn motherf**king ladylike doctor who'll probably need to have her wandering womb removed when she faints at the sight of your rash.

It's not fucking rocket science.

Bah fucking humbug.

I think you're being selective RosieH, that has as much to do with class as it does gender.

Lady is used here as a painless term of deference to authority. Washer-woman, lady-doctor. Likewise milk-man and gentleman-caller.

If you interpret it as whimsy and fainting fits, it's possible the view isn't shared. Since I don't share your interpretation I hope you'll understand that I don't see why you should be legislating it?