Advice on Rat.

DulwichFox

Have not seen it since Thursday afternoon though bait box I kitchen disturbed Thursday night.

Pest control came yesterday and put down 5-6 plastic bags of bait (Supposed to be much stronger than stuff available in B&Q)

None of the bait touched over night. I think the little bugger may of escaped Thursday and maybe I could

of saved ?150 + VAT (?180) if he had left me a note he was off.

Pest control will be back after 10 days to access the situation and remove any dead creatures.

Foxy.

hello, df, as another poster said, the rat may already have been ill and come into your house in search of peace and quiet. i doubt that you'd have spotted it or that it'd have hung around if it was a well rat. i wonder why pest control didn't suggest that.

I've had a soft spot for rats since reading A Little Princess many many years ago. Do you know it - it was a best-seller in its day? The heroine's father has died a pauper and she's been banished to a freezing garret by her cruel headmistress, who's thinking of chucking her into the street. She has one friend and comfort, a rat she names Melchisedec, after the Biblical king:

"She began to make a low, whistling sound?so low and coaxing that it could only have been heard in entire stillness. She did it several times, looking entirely absorbed in it. Ermengarde thought she looked as if she were working a spell. And at last, evidently in response to it, a gray-whiskered, bright-eyed head peeped out of the hole. Sara had some crumbs in her hand. She dropped them, and Melchisedec came quietly forth and ate them. A piece of larger size than the rest he took and carried in the most businesslike manner back to his home.

"You see," said Sara, "that is for his wife and children. He is very nice. He only eats the little bits. After he goes back I can always hear his family squeaking for joy. There are three kinds of squeaks. One kind is the children's, and one is Mrs. Melchisedec's, and one is Melchisedec's own."

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> None of the bait touched over night. I think the

> little bugger may of escaped Thursday and maybe I

> could

> of saved ?150 + VAT (?180) if he had left me a

> note he was off.

>

>

> Foxy.

Southwark used to do pest control with a 50% discount for pensioners. Dont know if they still do.

Windrush Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > None of the bait touched over night. I think

> the

> > little bugger may of escaped Thursday and maybe

> I

> > could

> > of saved ?150 + VAT (?180) if he had left me a

> > note he was off.

> >

>

> >

> > Foxy.

>

>

> Southwark used to do pest control with a 50%

> discount for pensioners. Dont know if they still

> do.

Thanks for that but..

Would take months to do all the means Testing crap

When did I last work?

How much Pension do I get?

How much savings do I have.?

Am I Married/ Divorced?

Do I have any dependents.

How long Have I lived at this address.

The list goes on..

Foxy.

Foxy.

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> Thanks for that but..

> Would take months to do all the means Testing

> crap

>

> When did I last work?

> How much Pension do I get?

> How much savings do I have.?

> Am I Married/ Divorced?

> Do I have any dependents.

> How long Have I lived at this address.

>

> The list goes on..

>

> Foxy.

It's easy , you just show them your DWP pension statement letter as evidence.

They did my wasps nest for half price.

Green Goose Wrote:

> Can we have today's sitrep please.

Thanks for asking. To be honest, I've had better weekends. Having a little lie down back in the park now. Stomach very unsettled :-(

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Have not seen it since Thursday afternoon though

> bait box I kitchen disturbed Thursday night.

> Pest control came yesterday and put down 5-6

> plastic bags of bait (Supposed to be much stronger

> than stuff available in B&Q)

> None of the bait touched over night. I think the

> little bugger may of escaped Thursday and maybe I

> could

> of saved ?150 + VAT (?180) if he had left me a

> note he was off.

>

> Pest control will be back after 10 days to access

> the situation and remove any dead creatures.

>

> Foxy.

Ordinary rat poison works fine.

How on earth can they justify charging ?180?

How long were they there for?

Well I'm not sure but that seems to be around what is charged.

They do a site survey ? The guy put down 6 plastic bags of Bromadiolone. Each bag contains

enough poison to fill 2-3 of those plastic trays you get with the domestic kits.

They then come back after 10 days and do a clean up and remove any dead rats.

So 2 visits needed.

Foxy

You could not make this up...

Had a Tesco Voucher for ?10.00 when you spend ?70.00 or more.

Did my shop adding up on my calculator as I went around. working out 2 for one deals.

Got to ?78.00 ish

At the till my bill was ?68.09 ?1.91 short to claim my ?10.00

So I went to the aisle near the checkout and selected 2 Nut/Seed bars for 2 quid.

Claimed my ?10.00.

Went back to by car. Thought I would munch on one of the Nut/Seed bars.

They were designed for Pets.. Ideal for Hamsters ... Guinea Pigs and wait for it... RATS.

Foxy

Green Goose Wrote:

> If you really want to catch it here is one way

> that does work and is based on the fact that rats

> and mice feel most comfortable when moving about

> if they have contact with a vertical surface.

> Thats why they run along. walls and love tunnels.

>

> The bits you need are...

>

> 1. A six foot length of plastic down pipe.

> 2. A pair of latex gloves.

> 3. A roll of gaffer tape

> 4. A glue trap for rats or mice.

> 5. Hacksaw.

Sorry, coming late to this thread but please don't use glue traps, they're absurdly cruel. Rodents (and sometimes domestic pets etc when they're used outside) get stuck to them but they don't get killed. They remain stuck in increasing distress, dehydrating and starving (remember the smaller the animal the more often it has to eat). They will often chew off large lumps of their hair, skin and even limbs in a desperate attempt to get free. Good for you Foxy for calling in experts to kill or remove your visitor.

I find Green Goose's relish in matters of animal cruelty, evinced by his asking for photographs and updates here, as well as suggesting just about the cruellest possible method of trapping - and his suggestion on another thread that foxes should be kept away with boards with nails for them to step on and be injured - somewhat disturbing.

The last thing you want is a rats nest, so I would get in the professionals. Please don't use glue traps - they're very cruel. Rats are intelligent and have feelings. Some people may not put any importance on either of those things but there are better ways to kill a rat.

Our building sewer hadn't had the rat-seal on and one woman found one in her loo!!

Can't imagine the sheer fright!

O.M.G.

A rat has just run along my garden fence and up the climbers to the roof.

I imagine looking for bird nests.

I hold you responsible for chasing it away from your house, Foxy :(

Perhaps the exorbitant amount of money you paid to the pest controllers could extend to this one :))

If it's the same one, it appears to have got a new lease of life :)). Must be that expensive poison :))

Sue Wrote:

> O.M.G.

>

> A rat has just run along my garden fence and up

> the climbers to the roof.

>

> I imagine looking for bird nests.

>

> I hold you responsible for chasing it away from

> your house, Foxy :(

>

> Perhaps the exorbitant amount of money you paid to

> the pest controllers could extend to this one :))

>

> If it's the same one, it appears to have got a new

> lease of life :)). Must be that expensive poison

> :))

The expensive Poison has not been touched. If it of been the creature would not be running around after 5 days.

There are 100's 1000's of rats in the area. I've even seen them cross Lordship Lane.

With so many restaurants and discarded Chicken and pizza boxes lying around.

It's hardly surprizing.

Foxy

A few years ago one of our cats brought a rat into the sitting room.

I have absolutely no idea how it managed to bring it through the cat flap, but it did. It dropped the bloody thing in the sitting room and the rat flew off like a shot. We all screamed, the cat got spooked and ran off. We brought the cat back in but it had no interest, so grabbed our other cat which also had zero interest. The rat was massive.

We chased the rat all over the room, but it was so quick we couldn't catch it. I went off to buy one of the humane traps which we baited with chocolate, set it up and closed the door. There is something in the way the move (combined with their awfully long tails) that give me the heebie jeebies. I opened the door the next morning and could see the trap had been triggered....I nudged the trap with my foot and the bloody thing was empty. It had nicked the chocolate and buggered off. Mrs dwe rang the council rat people (think it cost ?80) and the bloke turned up. The first thing he said was "I hate rats, they creep me out". He left bait and said we could open the window overnight but of course we then couldn't be certain ratty had gone. Next morning, bait was left alone, so we went for the nuclear option of an old fashioned Tom and Jerry trap.

We set it up and the next morning poor old ratty was in there. Mrs dwe scooped trap and rat up and stuck it in a carrier bag, and that was that.