peckham rye one o'clock club to close! nooooooo!!!!

number 2

my childminder told me last week that apparently the smashing one o'clock club at peckham rye is to shut. due to "cuts". this was concerned by one of the workers there on friday when i asked her. i'm so, so saddened by this. i can't use it that much nowadays as i am back at work 4 days a week, but a lot of friend make good use of it as do so many parents and childminders in the local area. this is one of a number of things that are going down the pan as far as public funding for kids and young people is concerned and i find it extremely worrying. i am thinking that i'd like to start a petition. you never know, it might do some good. i have noooooo idea at all how to do this though. i also thought an e-petition would be a good idea, you know - if you send it to 5 people, who send it to 5 people, yada, yada, yada.

does anyone have any know how about this type of thing?

not according to the woman who works there. she said they're not sure when it's going to close but it definitely is. i spoke to her about whether anyone had started a petition and she said that noone had yet and they weren't allowed to as they were members of staff.

I'd certainly sign a petition. It's frightening if these things start disappearing. Always the young, the old and the vulnerable who suffer. Our children need services like the One O'Clock Club. It's great and free. I sincerely hope it is just shutting for a short time but I won't hold my breath the way things are going at the moment. We should definitely protest if so...

• 3 weeks later...

HI everyone

We're running a campaign to stop the closure of various Children's Services - including One O' Clock Clubs which seem to be overlooked by the media.

NoCutsForKids is a simple petition where you can leave a comment. Mums and kids will be taking this to Downing Street on Mother's Day.

PLease sign the petition http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nocutsforkids/

and email me if you want to get involved

[email protected]

I had posted the below on thew other thread on this subject:

message Re: Help - the 1 O'Clock club needs you

Posted by Renata Hamvas February 18, 11:45PM

Hello everyone,

I am one of the Local Councillors for Peckham Rye Ward. We are aware of how important this facility is for local families.

I have been in contact with Children's services at Southwark Council. There are no plans to close the facility down but to change the way it is organised. Currently, it is directly run by the council, but it is planned that during 2012 the running of the Facility will pass to another group (probably a local Children's centre). It may be run in conjunction with other groups eg local voluntary organisations. This should lead to a greater number of activities being held in the club house for local families.

Renata

Labour Councillor For Peckham Rye Ward

[email protected]

Peckham Rye Ward Surgeries

1st Friday of the Month-Rye Hill Estate TRA Hall, Peckham Rye SE15 6.30-7.30pm

2nd Saturday of the Month-East Dulwich Community Centre, 46-64 Darrell Rd SE22 10-11am (not in August)

4th Thursday of the Month-Nunhead Library, Gordon Rd SE15 6.30-7.30pm (3rd Thursday in December)