Bike accident - witnesses needed!

DipDap

I mean this in a kind way as cyclist etc...

and obviously we didn't see it happen so do not know the facts

But sometimes.... both parties can share the blame, non?

Or is that not how it works these days.

I mean i know 'legally' etc etc... but seriously.

The scenario being discussed above would appear

to me to be, both parties at fault.

Regardless of 'legal' rights and wrongs...

Just arguing over degrees of blame based on supposition etc

*waits to be flamed*

*edit to add* my point has nothing to do with the OPs accident.

Why don't you go back to the scene the same time next week and ask around?

Perhaps some of the local shopworkers saw it?

Hope you heal up soon.

I was knocked off a couple of years ago whilst I was in a cycle lane by a left turning van that didn't indicate.

Sounds like some of the people on here would have blamed me for that.

I too forgot to get witnesses' names in the heat of the moment but the driver did eventually pay for the damage.

The threat of claiming off their insurance normally does the trick.

D.J.

Thank you for your invitation to try it.

I wish I could do just that!

Most members are aware of my condition,

That I suffer from Cervical Spondylosis the degeneration of the cervical spine in the neck.

I wear a neck collar and walk with a Zimmer frame.

Just a little of what I have to live with.

What is Cervical Spondylosis?

The back of the neck includes the cervical spine and the muscles and ligaments that surround and support it. The cervical spine is made up of seven bones called vertebrae. The first two are slightly different to the rest as they attach the spine to the skull and allow the head to turn from side to side. The lower five cervical vertebrae are roughly cylindrical in shape - a bit like small tin cans - with bony projections. The sides of the vertebrae are linked by small facet joints. Between each of the vertebrae is a 'disc'. The discs are made of a tough fibrous outer layer and a softer gel-like inner part. The discs act like 'shock absorbers' and allow the spine to be flexible.

Regards I hope you stay fit.

DipDap was knocked off his or her bike and is asking if there were any witness'. Other than a few kind words of sympathy can't it be left at that? Does every possible aspect of the post have to be debated and the minutiae picked over obsessively? Too many unsolicited, and not particularly helpful, opinions. (Mine being the most recent.)

DipDap, I was knocked off my bicycle a while back and was similarly shocked. I wish you a speedy recovery!

The reason that a simple request for witnesses to an accident can't be left simply as that Marcus is because this is the Forum and the joy of the Forum is that its full of people with opinions and thus we go from the particular to the genral in but a few simple steps. Thus ever it was.

For the particular case; hope you are not shaken up too badly DipDap and that you are back in the saddle already.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello DipDap

I've just read through the thread with interest. I hope you have recovered well and are back in the saddle. If you are, I would advise booking a lesson or two with a National Standards qualified cycle instructor. You can look one up through the CTC website. I can vouch for the fact that we are rigorously trained and assessed!

Alternatively, check out the book 'Cyclecraft' by John Franklin. It's the highway code for cyclists. Either option will give you lots of good advice about road positioning, making it easier for other road users to spot you.

Cheers

Mark