Films / TV shot in Dulwich

Keef

It is difficult to believe, isn't it?

That a well paid young telly actor might have a g of c on his person during a night out on the razz.

Surely not!

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is difficult to believe, isn't it?

> That a well paid young telly actor might have a g

> of c on his person during a night out on the

> razz.

>

> Surely not!

I don't find the g of c thing a surprise, that's mandatory isn't it? However, the Sunday Mirror's reporting integrity isn't likely to inspire me with a lot of confidence.

If you search for East Dulwich it comes up with a 1969 TV series called "Gnomes of Dulwich" Featuring Terry Scott, Snorksy and Edkiwi..................well ok only Terry Scott, but it was a an easy cheap shot. Sorry!

• 2 weeks later...
Loads of TV commercials have been filmed in Dulwich, including Mr.Kipling (he of the exceedingly good cakes) 'Nativity Play' featuring a screaming Mary going thru an all too real birth which was filmed at St Barnabas Parish Hall in the village a couple of years ago and was pulled after receiving a record number of complaints from the great British public.

Many scenes for the TV series Dempsey and Makepeace were filmed in the East Dulwich area. One episode I particularly remember used two locations on the south side of Upland Road just east of the junction with Crystal Palace Road. One was outside the "Cafe Ideal",which I believe has only recently had its name and facade changed from how it looked at the time, and the other was the entrance to a yard, which I think was adjacent to number 3 Upland Road.

In one episode of Dempsey and Makepeace the villain was played by Nick Brimble, who has been in many TV series (most recently playing Lorraine Chase's evil brother in Emmerdale). I recall seeing him shopping one morning in what is now Somerfield in Lordship Lane in 1980. He lived in Matham Grove at the time.

I remember in one episode of "Dempsey & Makepeace" the Dynmaic Duo visited a "Chelswa bookshop", and I almost fell out oy my chair when I recognised "Stone Trough Books" in Camberwell - I wonder what became of that? (And. like Nick Brimble, "Makepeace" too has ended up in "Emmerdale", playing an - uh - cop...)

A few years back I was passing the Dog in the village and it was closed for the day/morning, loads of TV vans out front, supposedly for an episode of "The Bill" - but I never recognised it in any subsequent showing. Similarly "Barcelona" was closed one day to TV types, this time supposedly for an ad....no idea what though!

The Bill was always being filmed around here at some point. I used to live on Ivanhoe Road (SE5) and one day found my road blocked off by police cars. I wandered up to the road block to ask the on-duty Copper what was going on - "Filming" said he, "eh?" said I, "The Bill" said he, "So are you a Copper?" said I, "No an actor" said he, "Get out of the way and let me get to my home you pillock" said I - sort of.

Seen at ED station lately - the bloke who plays Foyle's side kick in "Foyles War" and the bloke who plays the lead in the British programme about posh-fraudsters with Napoleon Solo in it.

Names are not my forte.

You mean Adrian Lester Shakespearan actor who was also in Primary Colours. He's lived here ages. Another guy from that programme "Hustle" has been spotted several times on Lordship Lane, can't remember his name tho.

An epsiode of Spooks was filmed on Dawson heights and in The woods.

It's not directly across the road from her gaff though - she's not that daft! (I knew about the house, not that LB had bought it - but what a shrewd move!) Some months ago they really went to town with this house for a few days - loads of Media vans and people and lights and cars - supposedly for that Peter Davidson sitcome thta was on last year. We all had apologetic leaflets shoved through our doors beforehand giving details of shooting times and apologising for any inconveneince caused - especially as a night shoot was involved. Then when they eventually broadcast the series it turned out that only about 2 scenes out of the whole 6 episodes were shot there...