Rasta Mouse

Ridgley

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How the @#$%& is it racist? I bet it's white

> people making the complaints. I think it's genius!

One of Mr WQ's workmates who is black thinks it is racist. I don't know what the full line of his argument is, but part of his argument (if thats the right word), is, "Can you imagine Jewish mouse? Or Muslim mouse?"

I haven't seen it, so I've no opinion.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > PC bollocks innit.

>

> Actually no... quite the opposite in fact. The

> vast majority of the complaints (there were only

> around 100 btw) are complaining that it teaches

> bad English!

Bad English is not the preserve of any group, race or whatever.

wee quinnie Wrote:

> Keef Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > How the @#$%& is it racist? I bet it's white

> > people making the complaints. I think it's

> genius!

>

>

> One of Mr WQ's workmates who is black thinks it is

> racist. I don't know what the full line of his

> argument is, but part of his argument (if thats

> the right word), is, "Can you imagine Jewish

> mouse? Or Muslim mouse?"

>

> I haven't seen it, so I've no opinion.

Well I guess he has a point. However, black people I've heard talking about it, both in person, and on the radio, were raving about it, and encouraging people to watch it. I guess you can't please everyone, but would your fella's workmate rather there be no referrence to black people, or any other cultures on the telly?

I'd just like someone who thinks it's racist, to explain to me why it is racist. They may have a point that other cultural groups would take ofence, but I'd say the same to those groups, why do you take offence?

PS. I know you've not seen it WQ, and are only offering someone else's opinion, so not aiming that at you.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I'm not anti-cannabis at all, but to play devil's

> advocate... you can't legitimise something by

> doing in the name of some daft made-up religion.

> (I'll probably take some flak for that but...

> whatever)

If your starting point is a religion (and they are *all* made up) then anything is possible and permissible. You are starting out from fantasy. And many religions have had mind-altering 'substances' at their centre.

Proxima Centauri Wrote:

> I think that it's stereotypical - perhaps.

>

> But racist? No.

>

>

> WATTA GWAN?

Stereotypical is bleedin' unfunny Lenny Henry series on Radio 4. If you're going to say Rasta Mouse is stereotypical (to an extent, it is, but in quite a friendly and nice way) then Lenny Henry's series is more so.

THE BBC has been accused of encouraging annoyance with its new series about a Jamaican rodent.

There's a rat in me telly, what ama gonna do?Although Rastamouse has hardly been on for five minutes, parents of young children, husbands and 'young at heart' men are already finding cries of 'Irie' in a pseudo-West Indian accent extremely wearing.

Housewife Nikki Hollis said: "Last night my husband said he was 'gwarning' to Pizza Express with his 'bredrin'. He's a 45-year-old caucasian who works as a systems analyst.

"If that wasn't bad enough, our seven-year-old son keeps asking if his sandwiches are 'Ital' and has just successfully won the right to smoke marijuana in assembly, having convinced the school governors that it is essential to maintaining his spiritual connection with Jah.

"I should add that neither of them has actually even seen Rastamouse yet, they've only read about it on the internet and decided that the general idea is the most inspired thing ever.

"I have watched it and I disagree."

Stephen Malley, a white, 51-year-old driving instructor said: "I and I is loving Rastamouse, seen. He's making a bad ting good, y'git me star?

"Any man dem hating on those likkle rodents is an utter raasclart, seen."

He added in his normal voice: "I'm not imitating black people, I'm imitating black people portrayed as rodents, so it's not racist."

TV pundit, Julian Cook, said: "Although probably not actually racist unless you're a dick, Rastamouse may not be amusing for much longer than a nanosecond.

"However, I'm looking forward to the episode 'Batty Mouse' where a gay mouse arrives on the scene and challenges the Easy Crew's staunch views on homosexuality."