ED swimming pool hygene

Does anyone else using the pool consider the water to be rather murky for such a new installation?

When a pool is clean you can clearly see through the length underwater from end to end.

I have had difficulty seeing across the width the last two visits.

Am I being picky? what are your thoughts on the clarity and cleanliness of the water?

I find the water in the pool at the pulse better maintained.

I find the level of chlorine too high. Without goggles my eyes sting for at least a day after swimming there. Obviously, I need to get some goggles but when I went there yesterday they didn't have any and I was told they are "not allowed" to order any more ...!

Just been to the gym and mentioned this to the receptionist, who was very helpful. By the time I was leaving, they had done a chlorine check and invited me to look at how clear the pool was........ it was crystal clear! so, have to say, they were very efficient, friendly and open to checking. Ten out of ten for service. The duty Manager also came out to clarify too, explaining what the chlorine levels were and what was required. Have to say thanks to Karen and Kate.....

joom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I find the level of chlorine too high. Without

> goggles my eyes sting for at least a day after

> swimming there. Obviously, I need to get some

> goggles but when I went there yesterday they

> didn't have any and I was told they are "not

> allowed" to order any more ...!

It isn't chlorine that makes people's eyes stings when in swimming pools - it's the ammonia from urine and sweat. The solution is to increase the level of chlorine to destroy the ammonia.

Seems to be something like that :)

http://www.poolwizard.net/problems/chloramines.htm

benmorg Wrote:

> joom Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I find the level of chlorine too high. Without

> > goggles my eyes sting for at least a day after

> > swimming there. Obviously, I need to get some

> > goggles but when I went there yesterday they

> > didn't have any and I was told they are "not

> > allowed" to order any more ...!

>

> It isn't chlorine that makes people's eyes stings

> when in swimming pools - it's the ammonia from

> urine and sweat. The solution is to increase the

> level of chlorine to destroy the ammonia.

Perhaps if the signs saying 'shower before entering the pool'

were larger and the staff could be bothered to enforce it,

this may help the condition of the water.

Ensuring all school children emptied their bladder prior to emersing themselves that might help too.

I was in the pool between 3 and 4pm the grumpy hour and the pool staff didn't think one could see a length end to end clearly.

Today one couldn't see across a width clearly.

The technician (Dave) for water clarity is usually based at the Pulse, it seems he hates travelling all the way to ED.

Come on Dave get your act together and take a swim on Thursday between 3 and 4pm,

if you cannot keep the water clean with the latest filtration equipment money can buy then something is seriously wrong with the installation!

I find the water a very pleasant temperature whilst swimming at a decent pace (and I only swim breaststroke).

I am suprised that they are 'not allowed' to order more goggles though - after all surely they are selling them not giving them away

Hubby normally wears glasses and has special goggles from optician with prescription lens. he said that nobody in Dulwich or Peckham Pulse has ever asked him to remove goggles.If they did he will inform them that since his eyesight is poor it could be regarded as a disability and that the goggles are essential for his safety and also other swimmers.

Next time you swim could you please look the length of the pool underwater, is it clearly visible at the far end?

Please would you note what time swim session and the day.

You may PM me for the sake of anonymity.

I would like to know when it is murky?

I would like to present this valuable knowledge to the management to encourage an improvement.

Thank you.

I'll be going in tomorrow so I'll have a check. I find the temperature OK, although it has cooled a bit in the last few weeks.

What I really can't stand is all the bits of hair, hair clasps and plasters floating about. It's a nice enough pool and I love having swimming facilities nearby again, but a little more care would make it great.

And yes, staff who enforced the showering rule a bit more closely would be welcome too.

Yep - I noticed that it was pretty manky last weekend. I swam in a hotel pool that was much better a couple of days before. Now I know hotel pools are not used nearly as much, but that still doesn't excuse the murky water in the pool. Also, the changing room floors badly needed mopped.

The family changing room floors would be a lot cleaner if parents were to use the shoe covers provided when changing their kids before and after their swimming lessons. When my kids attend only a few parents bother to do this and it would prevent kids tracking dirt into the pool-better for everyone. As the pool is well used by children, ensuring parents and teachers ask children to empty their bladders before swimming would be helpful. I thought everyone did this but maybe a few signs would help.

Pugwash Wrote:

> Hubby normally wears glasses and has special

> goggles from optician with prescription lens. he

> said that nobody in Dulwich or Peckham Pulse has

> ever asked him to remove goggles.If they did he

> will inform them that since his eyesight is poor

> it could be regarded as a disability and that the

> goggles are essential for his safety and also

> other swimmers.

I think (although I could be wrong) that they meant they couldn't order in more to sell, not that you can't wear them.

James Barber Wrote:

> We had a huge debate when the pool first reopened

> about pool temperature is 'denny' the only one to

> think its overly cool/cold again?

Pool temperature is fine (29.7 now), definitely warmer than it used to be. I agree about changing rooms though- cold and draughty.