parent and child spaces in sainsbury's car park

For anyone interested please visit this site - scroll down to the section fines on private land and enjoy!

http://www.appealingparkingfines.co.uk/

We raised three sons with none of this nonsense - get a pair of toddler reins when you child begins to be able to walk. Prior to this get a car seat that you can leave in the car and a sling if you want to have a very young baby go to the shops with you! I traveled to my eldest sons childminders with him in a sling 24 years ago - there were no spaces for buggys etc back then and I did this until I couldn't fit him in it anymore AND he was 8lbs when he was born!!(My back has certainly suffered for it though I'm sure lol!).

Whilst feeling particularly bad tempered this morning following a harrowing self scan shopping experience in sainsburys at 8.45 this morning (2 checkout open one of which just for baskets- not really relevant..) i was loading shopping and baby into car in parent parking space when a couple parked next to me and got out without any children in the car. As I've sais i was feeling bad tempered so pointed out to them that they seemed to be missing a child and was amused to see them get in the car and reverse into a normal parking space!!!

I don't normally do that..

My father was in a wheelchair as a consequence of MS for 30 years and as a City Planner he helped rewrite the law for accessability on streets, in buildings and of course.... parking places. Absolutely right, there was a time in living memory when there was no law on accessibility and the right of everyone to do as much as possible without a struggle.

panmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We raised three sons with none of this nonsense -

> get a pair of toddler reins when you child begins

> to be able to walk. Prior to this get a car seat

> that you can leave in the car and a sling if you

> want to have a very young baby go to the shops

> with you! I traveled to my eldest sons

> childminders with him in a sling 24 years ago -

> there were no spaces for buggys etc back then and

> I did this until I couldn't fit him in it anymore

> AND he was 8lbs when he was born!!(My back has

> certainly suffered for it though I'm sure lol!).

Eeeeh, ma mother raised 10 of us in a cardboard box wi' nowt but old shoe leather to eat, and newspaper for blankets, and we considered ourselves lucky . . . . Parent & Child parking, never 'eard of such nonsense (sucks teeth).

Sillywoman I do not make a habit of sucking my teeth - nor do I speak with a northen accent. I also do not make a habit of parking in parent and child spaces or disabled spaces - even when there has been times in the last couple of years that I could have done with being a little closer to the supermarket due to serious heart problems. Thankfully now under control. For goodness sake people on this thread are talking about 'covered walkways' if they have to take their precious darlings further than a couple of hundred yards into the shop. I never in all my years known any baby or child to melt because they got slightly damp from rain.

I've got 3 little un's and the last place I want to go with them is a supermarket.... thus internet shopping! Saves all the hassel about where to park, what to do if it rains, finding the right type of trolly etc. For the cost of delivery which is ?3.00 tue/wed/thur or free if spend over ?100 on them days I find it's a god send and one less chore for me to have to do.

Yes moos If everyone is thinking along the lines of the great Python - but as far as I'm concerned it seemed more like a personal insult to me - very rude to talk about people sucking their teeth in the culture that I live within - it is seen as being a very low class and ignorant thing to do.

mynamehere Wrote:

> My father was in a wheelchair as a consequence of

> MS for 30 years and as a City Planner he helped

> rewrite the law for accessability on streets, in

> buildings and of course.... parking places.

> Absolutely right, there was a time in living

> memory when there was no law on accessibility and

> the right of everyone to do as much as possible

> without a struggle.

One of the first observations I made as a new parent with a giant pram to contend with is how hard it must be to try to get anywhere in a wheelchair. When my son was about two weeks old I found myself "trapped" in a shopping centre.....had been there many times before but never noticed all the stairs and couldn't lift the heavy pram due to recent c-section. Eventually tracked down a service elevator. Really opened my eyes.

A civilized society takes care of it's more vulnerable members. Teeth sucking optional.

Of course, cars are the problem. Stop your shilly shallying spoilt generation nonsense... when my grandma was with my mum and aunty ant they were both under 5 she never had a car just had to go shopping on Shanks Pony dragging them along with the groceries - you and your spoiltness with cars and central heating etc...seriously pull yourselves together...and other such carboard box in the middle of the road nonsense

Quaverflava Wrote:

> WoW this is appalling! How on earth, did people

> with children do their shopping before these bays

> were introduced? I really am surprised that so

> many of us have made it here today after growing

> up without these bays, perhaps we could contact

> police to make them aware of the atrocities going

> on in the Sainsbury?s car park? To those affected

> by this scourge upon our society don?t give up

> fighting, hopefully with enough whining you?ll be

> able to create a better world free from this sort

> of tyranny for your children, your children?s

> children and so on. Maybe a publically funded

> victim support group should be made available to

> the victims that would help you them deal with the

> trauma of having to park a bit further away from

> the entrance. My thoughts are with you all X x

I am that bored that i have decided to at last read this thread.

And for all the abuse the post above received it is still the most sane?!!

Really, maybe Sainsbury should prepare a creche for you all and retrieve your children when you are done.

Or as suggested, if you don't like it you could simply use Ocado.

Some of the times, all the spaces are unavailable ... legitimately. Horror!?!?

HTFU

Quaverflava did make me laugh, but somehow the debate got shifted so much that people seemed to be defending the right of the stupid, lazy and ignorant to park wherever they please, whilst berating as stupid, lazy and ignorant those who might actually have a more legitimate claim to park closer to the store.

As for the "I am not sure of the exact legal position but I believe..." post, Sainsbury's is private property. They can therefore impose their own rules on it. If you don't like their rules, you could go somewhere else.

QueenMab Wrote:

> Quaverflava did make me laugh, but somehow the

> debate got shifted so much that people seemed to

> be defending the right of the stupid, lazy and

> ignorant to park wherever they please, whilst

> berating as stupid, lazy and ignorant those who

> might actually have a more legitimate claim to

> park closer to the store.

>

> As for the "I am not sure of the exact legal

> position but I believe..." post, Sainsbury's is

> private property. They can therefore impose their

> own rules on it. If you don't like their rules,

> you could go somewhere else.

That is complete nonsense. Private property is still subject to the law of the land. Unlawful behaviour or discrimination is unlawful discriminatory behaviour in the provision of services whether it is carried out on private property or not. If someone went into a Sainsbury's store - private property - and was refused service becuase they were of a certain gender or race or had a disability the defence that it happened on "private property" and was therefore out of reach of the law would be laughed out of court.

Your point is meaningless.

Come on pearson, get with it. Sainsburys are discriminating against the able-bodied and those without children by providing dedicated spaces to the disabled and those with young children. Of course, amongst other things, Damian H is making an enormous and unjustifiable leap of logic by claiming that parking spaces for people with children is discriminatory on the grounds of marital status. I don't recall any signs saying that you can't park there if you're not married...

But whilst we're at it. there's a dedicated space for electric cars too. Isn't that discriminatory against people with petrol cars?

There's a lot of crap on this thread imo. Disabled people have their own spaces because they often need more room either side of the car to get themselves and wheelchairs in and out. It also makes sense to give them spaces near the entrance. People with young kids need more space either side of the car to get babies in and out (I think it's a bit ridiculous to extend the definition of young kids up to 12 though - frankly, once the kids are about 5 they should be more than capable of getting in and out with minimal help), and it also helps if you can get the pushchair down the side of the car rather than trying to get a small child into a pushchair in the 'road'. So I have no problem with spaces for those with young kids. Do they need to be right by the entrance? No. In fact they would be better slightly further away so that selfish ar5eholes don't feel the need to park in them. The point of the spaces ought to be extra width rather than proximity.

I used to work in a "women only" shop. We were always getting chippy tossers trying to come in and tell us we were "discriminating" against them. On being invited to call the police, the disgruntled were told that our store was private property and they had no "right" to enter the premises at all.

QueenMab Wrote:

> I used to work in a "women only" shop. We were

> always getting chippy tossers trying to come in

> and tell us we were "discriminating" against them.

> On being invited to call the police, the

> disgruntled were told that our store was private

> property and they had no "right" to enter the

> premises at all.

I'm really surprised you got away with that. Try opening a 'whites-only' shop with that logic and see how far you get.

A legal example of 'private property' (i.e. your own house) not being exempt from discrimination laws.