Ballet classes

Waiting list? Here's me waiting until my daughter has ditched the nappies before signing up, but didn't think about waiting lists! That explains why Dulwich Ballet School haven't bothered to reply to my email of 2 weeks ago.

Fidgetsmum - good luck with finding the right school - I'd be really interested in anything you find out about either of them as I have been wondering about which one to approach myself. McAlpine is too far away for us though (assuming it's this one http://www.mcalpinedance.com/)

I'd recommend giving Dulwich Ballet School a call. Based at St Faith's Centre, Red Post Hill. My daughter started classes there at 2 and a half and has loved it ever since - she's now 6 and has done 2 exams. The teachers are lovely, there are open classes once a term, the girls get to wear pink, and there's a big room for them to get changed and you to sit and wait while the class is going on (unusual for ballet schools - don't have one at Grafton). They don't usually have a waiting list. Damzel - I'm pretty certain the reason they won't have got to your email yet is that the whole school has been immersed in their bi-annual show at Alleyn's theatre - Swan Lake, Carnival of the Animals - definitely worth persisting with a phone call.

I too recommend Dulwich Ballet School on Red Post Hill. My girls have been going for a while now and love it (youngest was 2 1/2 when she started). I'm not sure if they have waiting lists, but agree with Taper that they've been doing a show recently so could be why they never returned a phone call. You could always email them as well (email on their website). Love the big room upstairs, but sometimes it's really chaos in there!

South London Dance Studios (in the old Herne Hill Post Office) is what used to be Grafton Dance Academy in Village Way.

I only know it from when it was in Village Way, but it seemed fine. I'd guess the facilities (lack of waiting room / limited changing room etc) will have improved with the new building, although it won't have that sweet little garden which was nice in summer!

The teachers were lovely with the little ones, and there were some older students doing really well.

Mcalpine got my vote for pure friendliness and a website that didn't have loads of rules and regulations on! Parking is easy though there is no proper waiting area for parents (small space only)

the teachers were lovely, really really nice. What class will your dauighter be in, FM? Mine is starting in Sats 10am preprimary.

• 3 weeks later...

McAlpine have come back saying we can pop in. Having failed to get there last week, we'll try next week. Although with a 12wk old baby, the shorter the distance to travel the better and McAlpine is definitely much further away. We're down for Fiona Foster next term though so I may well wait until then.

Thanks for everyone's help. Again, am loving EDF.

I finally spoke to Sally of Dulwich Ballet School and she seems really nice and was fairly relaxed about everything. They have a uniform but she advised against buying it until they have attended at least 4 classes in case they don't want to continue. We're going to pop down for a trial class before signing up for next term.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello mums who are deliberating about toddlers dance classes!

I run South London Dance Studios and I thought it might be helpful for everyone if a couple of things were clarified as there seems to be some confusion about dance classes in the area. I have been running my school for the past 9 years - it started at Grafton on Village Way and we were called Grafton Dance Academy. Two years ago, I secured our own permanent venue which is the former Royal Mail sorting office in Herne Hill (next door to the mini Sainsbury?s) and we became South London Dance Studios (SLDS). We have 3 fully equipped dance studios and a comfortable waiting room upstairs for parents and siblings. We teach students from 18 months to adults and we cater for all abilities ranging from children who want to dance for a fun and productive hobby as well as those children who want to train more seriously. Please do look at our website or call / e-mail us for more information on our classes.

Yes, we do have a lot of rules and regulations which are all on our website (as Fuschia mentions!) but do be aware that most dance schools do - especially the half or full terms notice of leaving rule which is vital to run the classes efficiently.

I understand Dulwich Ballet School is now hiring our old Grafton venue on Village Way now which I think is what has caused some confusion - so if you decide to go there, be aware that it is a different school now, not us!

In short, all the dance schools in this area are very different ? some focused more on the ?once a week hobby child?, some focused on performance skills and others focused on examinations. The best way to choose a school is to go and watch a class so that you can see the teacher in action, really assess what each child is gaining from attending the class and decide if the ethos of the school is right for you and your child. It's so important to choose the right school from the start as you could be there for a long time!

I hope this helps - good luck in your searches.