Fashion advice for a mother who has lost her fashion mojo

Well done you. I think you're fabulous! Here is my two penneth worth:

1. Enjoy the process

2. Get your kit off and take a long look in the mirror. Whatever your shape you are beautiful. Learn how to dress the shape that you have. It works for me and these days it's rare for me to make an expensive mistake. There are two particular designers that I return to season after season because they dress my shape and, therefore, they make me look good. There are numerous designers that make beautiful clothes - for 6ft size 8 models - but that's not my shape - so I pass on those designers. I'm never going to be 6ft or size 8 (thank God).

3. Take a long look in your underwear drawer. Do your bras fit you properly? If you're well endowed go to either Bravissimo or Rigby & Peller and get properly fitted. Otherwise, it does not matter how much money you chuck at a new wardrobe - if your underwear does not fit you properly then you won't look good.

4. Get yourself a good seamstress. Most of us are not a standard size and for clothes to really look good they need a nip here and a tuck there.

5. Buying jeans is a minefield (and very depressing). As others have said, try Liberty or Selfridges. Invest some money in a good pair. They will cost ??? but you'll get plenty of wear. Both these shops have jean "gurus" whose very raison d'etre is to get you into your ideal pair. If you simply haven't got the budget for Selfridges and Liberty then go to one of the bigger Gap Stores (Oxford St, High St Ken?) and ask to speak to the "jeans expert". Expect to try on about 20 pairs (I'm not kidding). If you don't find what you want then walk out. *

* Incidentally, I'm yet to meet the woman who looks good in cargos so, please, I beg you, just don't.

6. Black trousers. Wardrobe cornerstone. Very important purchase. Throw some time at them. Be prepared to try on lots and lots and lots and don't rush into a purchase. If money is no object whatsoever then go for Maria Grachvogel magic pants (ouch ????).

http://www.mariagrachvogel.com/shop/clothing/trousers_and_magic_pants/

If you can't afford them then go to Sloan Street and try a pair on anyway (cheeky, yes, but it will help you set the benchmark). It's only by constantly trying things on that you'll be able to edit what works for you.

7. High heels. I'm a 4 inch Louboutan girl so you can see that we're not singing from the same hymn sheet. What about a wedge? They'll give you some height and are easy peasy to walk in. Check out some of the new season wedges when you're at the shops.

8. Cardigans. I love them and I live in them and I won't have a bad word said so take it all back. Think sex kitten, not grandma. Behold, for I give you the sublime Wheels & Dollbaby:

http://www.wheelsanddollbaby.com/#/online-shop/knitwear

You can buy from the website and it gets shipped in from Australia, or you shop a limited range at:

http://www.asos.com/Women/A-To-Z-Of-Brands/Wheels-Dollbaby/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=2900&r=2

I have short arms so the Wheels & Dollbaby three quarter length sleeves are a Godsend. I have lots of W&D cardigans and I'm ALWAYS asked where I got them. They are very sexy, good quality, and will last. I'm not ready to throw in my lot with something beige from M&S just yet.

9. If you want something for a special occasion then I cannot recommend these people highly enough:

http://www.zeleb.co.uk/eveningdresses.php

It goes back to what I was saying about things being tailor made. Sometimes I see women on a night out in a special dress and I watch them pulling the bodice up and hitching the hem down. That's not attractive. The most attractive woman in the room (in my opinion) is usually the most confident woman in the room. When you're wearing something that fits you like a glove on a special night out then you will have that extra boost of confidence.

10. Beware of looking at too many magazines. Trends are not important. More important to try clothes and get to know and love your own shape.

The very best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll be turning heads in East Dulwich any day now.

giggirl your post is very useful, thanks - I am going to check out those links and get ebaying so I have some spare cash for new clothes! Just one question - I agree absolutely about dressing for your shape, but my problem is that my shape has changed since having babies and I have no idea which shops/designers are now best for my shape, and also which clothes - i.e trouser cut, skirt shape etc etc. How did you come to discover what suited you best - just trial and error? I don't suppose you know of any links to websites that can advise on this?

Hi Sanity Girl -

Take your best friend shopping with you and have her give her honest opinion about how things look. Also, try things on in a fitting room with a three way mirror, ie, you can see your back side and your side and ask yourself if you like what you see with regards to what you are wearing. Agree that bodies change after several children and not necessarily because of weight gain, but just the shape in general!

-C x

Very helpful post giggirl. I have drawers (yes I had drawers built for my shoes) of Manolos and Louboutins I can't/don't/refuse to wear because of running after children! Humpf.

love this thread. my fashion mojo is dormant under many layers of flab and sadly wont see the light of day for at least a few years at this rate. I cant fit into 80% of my wardrobe.

Typing one handed with sick baby on boob so here are a couple of links

anthropologie

very cool shop stateside that opened branches here last year I think. Cool, slightly quirky clothes, very pretty dresses etc. Generally expensive but register for their sale as mostly everything gets discounted eventually

discount brand sales sites are big these days. I like Cocosa but there's also Brand Alley

cocosa

Brand Alley

Asos has some great stuff and there's also Asos Marketplace for original upcoming designer items.

These websites have cute stuff

aspire

Fever

Finally I like vintage although it is getting harder to source

giggirl - you have actually made me put down my cheese sandwich and put it in bin and instead eat an apple- no joke - my diet starts with avengence NOW cos the thought of going shopping and buying those sort of clothes is very very exciting - and no point in buying them until i'm the weight i want to be and what i can stay at - thank you - very very helpful post

Hi

I know exactly what you mean. After looking after kids for 4 years suddenly i looked in the mirror for what seemed like the first time in years and saw what everyone else see's. I'm not sure how it happened, but everything was just drab & mumsy.

But someone i know from my original Nct group, decided to leave her job as a fashion buyer to do personal styling and really sorted me out. she explained about my body shape, what clothes to buy for my shape & it was very much tailored to my needs.

I noticed that she has already responded to this thread. Her name is Sally and i can highly recommend

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.

I feel really inspired now about my 'reinvention' and am taking a very strategic, careful approach to getting the right pieces, and thoroughly enjoying it.

I have decided to wait until I have taken the milkers out of service in a couple of months' time before buying anything exciting (they just make me look so much more booby than I really am - eveything 'hangs off them'. It's hard to look perky when those all important 'foundation garments' are of the clippy, wirefree variety (although I did get a couple of quite sexy HotMilk ones in a sale at Oranges and Lemons, and they have been the last fronteire in my metamorphosis into complete frump.

Hello there; I am French stylist or an Image Advisor as you call it in England..

I have worked with the biggest houses in fashion, but my knowledge is based on the people that I have worked with from my clients to collaborators.

I am a mummy myself. I have giving up the idea of going back to my work on Bond Street (central London), the journey is exhausting and I come to the decision on offering my services in Dulwich.

Many stylist agencies are impersonal and their fees start from ?550 a day.

My prices are from ?150 to ?250 a day trip to the shops included and a free consultation to see if we can work together for an objective.

My presentation for a day could include one or many modules: hairdresser, makeup, esth?tique, colour coordination, shapes and style of dressing and ?wardrobe cleaning? and finishing with a trip to the shops. I also offer modules for those who are planning a special event.

I respect your limited budget, preferred labels and will propose mine of course. I would definitely respect what is needed.

From hair dresser to the beautician, I have a contacts with discounted prices and their work is enormous.

We don?t need to spend ?500 on one brand when we could spend less on another.

Your image is my passion. I offer some personal training on fitness as well.

I make it personal. a bient?t.

Sheraz,

Give me a call on 07866538055.

Or email : [email protected]

... I can completely relate to this thread. And for my part, to add into the mix, I realsied I was suddenly in my late 30s and had no idea what I was able to wear!

I also highly recommend local woman Sally of Queen Bee styling. She gently encouraged me to try styles of clothes I hadn't before considered and I was really impressed by what she came up with. We went shopping and I was really pleased that she didn't head straight for the expensive gear at Selfridges! I bought loads of stuff from Zara, Mango, Top Shop... And the key thing for me was buying pieces that worked well together.

She is really approachable and reasonably priced too.

Good luck with your quest!