Con Man (offering Bollinger Champagne) image attached

SueJ

> As long as Champagne Charlie does not have a court case pending press could refer to it...sure they would know how to word it...

I suspect they'd want firmer identificatory evidence than one person's belief and a similar MO. There's a lot of money to be made from defamation actions, for those with the robustness to pursue them.

4 other people in my office saw him and have identified him and the company in Herne Hill are currently checking their cctv footage to see if they have an image of him.

I really dont blame ???? for having a giggle at my expence, but only if it means that just one business is spared this mans con then fair play, it has been worth it. Perhaps even? a business will have read this and may have the opportunity to call the police, and if they do then please get in touch.

Gut feeling

If it seems to good to be true...

A fool and his money are easily parted

Magic beans

I can take it all on the chin, but you wait til he goes into a business and takes some real money, or what if he is desperate and turns to violence?

Please be careful, this man is good.

I'm not excusing this guy and I agree that this post should be warning others. It must be at least unnerving to be faced with this guy and probably quite frightening.

I wanted to add that if he has a gambling addiction it is a real problem, he wouldn't be doing this for kicks but just to try and solve a problem caused by gambling losses. It's the wrong way to do it and he should be arrested and judged by the courts. The best outcome would be to get him back into treatment to prevent the cause of the crimes he's trying to commit.

Lady D, hi

Actually I did not give cash up front, I took him to his car in mine (!) and then the way in which he spoke to me changed slightly. He went from being friendly to avoiding the usual chit chat which you would have with a local busines - "hows business" etc. He also added a lot into the deal, he said he would add a couple of bottles of white wine and a bottle of whisky and it was at this point, with him in my car, that the alarm bells were ringing loud in my ears. No one just adds things onto a deal for no reason.

He abruptly told me to turn left, no right, no left, no right, pull over and park here. Ok he said, "now I will go get the champagne" I told him I could help so also got out of my car and tentatively walked near him, and then he told me to wait there he would be back, perhaps I should put my seats down in the car and thats was it. I knew I had been done and left him. I did not want any trouble, he is a well built man - too many portions of fish and chips rather than muscle, but nonetheless, could probably put out a good punch, and then I thought, what if he has someone else round the corner?

What makes me furious with myself is that I let this stranger in my car (!) drove him up the road, did not tell the team where I was going or have my phone with me. DOH! And I dont even sell Bollinger so I was not to make a fast buck out of anyone.

I said yes as I thought it would be a nice treat for the team, maybe use some over the summer, it was just an incredible opportunity and what it turned into was an incredible lesson.

And JtC

I agree with you, I wrote this post knowing I would get some stick - I deserve to get some. But had I not posted then Robotcat would not have posted and I would not have googled the name and come up with the picture.

I also agree with your gambling addiction note. Perhaps he needed the cash to pay someone off, but what if the next person is not as lucky as me. What if the next person thinks big and hands over a vast amount of money which they have taken from the till, thinking they are doing the business a favour?

What if he says, Hi I am John James, Suzannes dad, you know caterer on Barry Road? He just seemed to know enough to get by.

>He is around 50 - 60 years old, dresed in a suit, with noticably bandy legs, fairly plump or a typical build for a man of that age, short dark hair with touches of grey. Comes across very professional, trusting and personable.

Ive seen a man answering this discription living in a Blue Travellers van parked in Rodwell Road.

rifleman harris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >He is around 50 - 60 years old, dresed in a suit,

> with noticably bandy legs, fairly plump or a

> typical build for a man of that age, short dark

> hair with touches of grey. Comes across very

> professional, trusting and personable.

>

> Ive seen a man answering this discription living

> in a Blue Travellers van parked in Rodwell Road.

Mr Harris,

Keep taking the pills.

• 3 months later...

Ted Max Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bit unlucky. You think you'd be safe on the

> Clapham omnibus.

>

> Still, I'd like to point out I'm not looking my

> best in that picture. Been having a bit of a bad

> trot, recently.

There are a lot of two faced people on here, obviously someone offering 10 bottles of bubbly for 100 is dodgy. But it seems you all would of bought it knowing it could be stolen. Yet when it's not delivered you do nothing but moan and report it to the police. Two faced springs to mind! Lol

of course it sounds v nasty, and you have my sympathy (having been took meself once or twice)

however I can't help but feel just a little bit tickled at the judge referring to him as 'an incorrigible rogue'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...