Empty Properties suitable for Squatting in Dulwich

Dear all helpful Dulwichers,

I am soon going to be badly in need of a place to lay my head and call home. So, does anyone know of any suitably big mansions or houses or whatever... to squat in the not too near future {that does not include apartments that are only free for a week because the owner is on holiday from decorating etc.}I am looking for somewhere that has been left properly empty - somewhere that NO ONE lives in already. Afraid rent is too high for me and although I strive to get on the property ladder like most of you guys it seems to be only possible if I save up some money while squatting - I am also looking for a job doing whatever - offers welcome but housing need is the priority.

I would appreciate any suggestions to be posted here! Any particular streets with friendly and open minded neighbours would be ideal. Obviously if I am going to go through with the stress of doing this squatting thing again I kind of think I'd rather that it had gas or electric and preferably water. Oh yeah and I am nice so don't worry if I end up in the abandoned house next door to yours...

Lets hope our Coalition Government does not change the law before I get somewhere first!

Kind regards,

Lady Jane

Oh and by the way I don't really want to be bothering the homeless office on Bournemouth Road se15 because I know that you basically need to bring them eviction papers to prove that you are homeless and attached to that particular area. Also I kind of think that single mums are more in need and entitled to council housing than people who can actually act more independently in this kind of housing situation {not that I expect everyone in this situation to squat - it can be horrible}. We're up for it though if you know what I mean - we can bring a damaged house into a live-able condition and that way we don't even have to claim housing benefit and therefore we collectively save the so called public purse a good few hundred pounds a week.

Basically one has to find a window open or something like that- you don't brake in because it is against the law to do this. However most abandoned properties have already been vandalized by people breaking into them. Good squatters then secure the property by changing the locks and by putting the appropriate legal warning onto the premises. Does that satisfy your interest?

So far I haven't had one good suggestion? Some of you East Dulwich people must know of at least one empty house in the area? Please be aware - we're not the troublesome types - we don't do or deal with any hard drugs and if anything we will protect the property from vandalism and that. Also our gang are friendly towards everyone and that includes the police.

It's a nice idea for a thread, but Saturday nights are notoriously poor for this sort of thing - and unlikely to yield a satisfactory result, unfortunately.

Your best chance of indignant outrage comes from a first posting at around Thursday lunchtime - and try not to overdo the bumping. Good luck.

Oh yeah - and we don't have parties! Maybe the occasional cup of tea party on a Sunday afternoon but no raves or boisterous activity at all. Makes it sound a bit boring right? No we're looking for somewhere to live and save up a few quid that's all - nothing politically motivated or anything like that - oh and we're basically normal people who like the area. We're willing to go for a small rent if anyone offers a place that they'd like us to look after? Otherwise we'll just have to go for whatever comes up and I believe there's bound to be somewhere of the sort in the area...

Any co-operation is welcome. If you'd like my personal email address just let me know...

Best wishes to you all!

LadyJane Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Basically one has to find a window open or

> something like that- you don't brake in because it

> is against the law to do this. However most

> abandoned properties have already been vandalized

> by people breaking into them. Good squatters then

> secure the property by changing the locks and by

> putting the appropriate legal warning onto the

> premises. Does that satisfy your interest?

Yes. Thanks.

The Americans are moving out of their embassy in Grosvenor Square. A bit far from East Dulwich but a bigger place.

They may have moved out already. I'm going near there today so shall report back if it's a goer and I'll check out any broken windows etc. I am also going round Mayfair later so shall do similar recce-ing for you.