Goodrich School in Daily Mail

Straightaway, everyone seems to have jumped on the name of the newspaper that have reported this story.

So what if it's the Daily Mail? Is the story in any other newspapers?

Agree with Emily that everyone is attacking the newspaper for some reason for reporting the story.

If I were David Moyle I wouldn't keep my children at the school.

I am not losing my rag at you, ust at the Daily Mail - we are in agreement.

Well Emily. You seem to know some inside information. You say the article is spot on - but apparently she has a son an d not a daughter, so there's one inaccuracy. Why mention house values unless you want to paint a picture of someone - he lives in a more expensive house, so therefore must be a more valuable member of society? Standard Daily Mail tactics.

I'd be interested to know if Mr Moyles was approached by the headmistress before she went to the authorities. That to me is the salient point. If they spoke about it and she felt it needed to be taken further then fair enough. If she did not approach him first, but went straight into high gear, then that's a different matter. That's the point I'm interested in.

And the reason is that Goodrich is a school which we might send our daughter to in a few years. I'm obviously interested in how things are done there. That's why I've taken such an interest in this thread.

minder Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Straightaway, everyone seems to have jumped on the

> name of the newspaper that have reported this

> story.

>

> So what if it's the Daily Mail? Is the story in

> any other newspapers?

>

> Agree with Emily that everyone is attacking the

> newspaper for some reason for reporting the

> story.

>

> If I were David Moyle I wouldn't keep my children

> at the school.

They were NOT talking about the knewspapers they were talking about something else

Heart, peace, mind and Love They told me the truth. You have to understand

Your information seems to be second hand hearsay. But it doesn't mean you're wrong, and I take you at your word. Let me say the following...

The poster was more than ill-judged. It was a bad idea, badly done. He should've known better.

If indeed the headteacher did not speak to him first, then that is frankly a terrible mistake on her part.

As I said, something went very wrong with this school's systems.

Seems as though WHATEVER the truths behind the story the headmistress may be done for at that school. From here onward no matter what the controversy it all might be about her and not about the kids / making the school better.

ofsted 2005 previous head

Overall Evaluation 'Goodrich School provides satisfactory quality of education with many good features, but some

important weaknesses... Although leadership is satisfactory, creating a warm, purposeful and orderly community,

weaknesses in management significantly reduce the school?s ability to improve. Managers do not

monitor performance sufficiently and, therefore, they are not in a position to recognise when

improvement is needed. Consequently, although staff work hard and have shared and strong

values, their various strengths are not sufficiently brought together to create the highly effective

school Goodrich could be. This leads to inconsistencies that are holding back improvement.'

Leadership and management are unsatisfactory overall. Leadership is satisfactory but

management is unsatisfactory and together they represent a significant weakness to rectify.

Leadership creates a good climate for learning and personal development, and committed and hard

working staff. However, lack of rigorous and accurate monitoring and evaluation, leads to

management that has an unrealistic view of the school?s strengths and weaknesses, and to

inconsistencies. Governance is satisfactory, and governors are very supportive of the school and

very involved. However, they do not have a secure understanding of the strengths and weaknesses

of the school because their knowledge is not based upon actual observation and benchmarked

evaluation. This has led to mistakes, especially in the management of finances.

Present head Ofsted monitoring visit December 2009 'The strong and decisive leadership team has demonstrated its commitment to improving the school.It has set challenging targets for pupils and teachers and

there is a whole-school expectation that these will be achieved.'

Ofsted 2008 Present Head

Overall effectiveness of the school

'This satisfactory school is moving in the right direction under the clear direction of the new

headteacher. She inspires and supports staff and pupils to get the best out of themselves and

others so there is a very real sense of working together as a team. Pupils are proud of their

school and enjoy it greatly. The overwhelming majority of parents have great confidence in the

school and one summed the school up very well when saying, 'Goodrich School has a fantastic

sense of community for children and parents alike. My children are very proud of their school.'

Leadership and management

'Leadership and management are satisfactory and steadily improving. The headteacher's calm

and thoughtful leadership has given the school a clear direction and staff are eager to take real

responsibility for their respective areas. They have responded with enthusiasm and initiative.

There is a very real sense of teamwork and collaboration in the school and a clear sense of

direction. Leaders have created a school which is a harmonious environment, in which pupils

of all races and cultures get on well together and so community cohesion is good. Recent

initiatives to track pupils' progress and set targets is doing much to move standards forward

but these systems have yet to embed themselves fully in the routine of the school. The governing

body brings a wealth of relevant experience to its deliberations. It is extremely supportive of

all the school's work but does not always act as a critical friend by asking the searching questions

needed to hold the school sufficiently to account.'

Reggie I very much doubt we know the whole story at all. I'm pretty sure there must have been a history of this sort of thing happening for her to react the way she did. I very much doubt anyone would react that way unless they've been provoked/undermined for a long time.

zeban Wrote:

> Reggie I very much doubt we know the whole story

> at all. I'm pretty sure there must have been a

> history of this sort of thing happening for her to

> react the way she did. I very much doubt anyone

> would react that way unless they've been

> provoked/undermined for a long time.

If this has been for a long time then I am sorry is not me.

Emily, there have been no slurs on the Moyles on this thread, and the only coverage to suggest it was racist was the Daily Mail.

I have merely been pointing out that there is no reason to assume that the Daily Mail reports are truthful.

The Ofsted report above highlights another inconsistency in the Mail coverage. In fact the report suggested she was 'inspiring', 'supportive' and 'gets the best out of her team'.

That's hardly the failed loser being represented by the Mail.

If anything the only slurs in this story are those suffered by the headteacher.

Reggie, Emily refers to 'previous meetings [note the plural] had been heated'.

That kind of tells us that this had been an ongoing and angry exchange possibly over months. We don't know how angry or what the nature of the aggression was. All the more reason for Moyles to have chosen his poster more carefully.

This looks increasingly like a lynch mob against the headteacher, and that makes the poster even more poorly chosen.

I think it would have been unprofessional for the teacher to comment to the daily mail. Any other paper maybe but they were always going to give her a rough ride.

The poster is awful and too questionable a choice to have been used in the context of a primary school even if it was for parents. The guy clearly has an ego problem if he thinks it was appropriate. If he was elected then surely it was his choice to work for the pta, so just do the job and don't try and turn it to a satire exercise. Magazine, student paper would be appropriate. Kids school no.

I have noticed that some East dulwich residents are sometimes racist. Whether out of malice or ignorance it has been seen and heard. I wouldn't discount that there may have been events which contributed and affected the head teachers perception of events. The fact that the parents are pushy enough that this poster was made in the first instance would suggest the head is up against it. Good luck to her I say.

Zeb and Hugs I am sure you are both right but its not really a lynch mob...its symbolic innit?

Governors are not gonna really string her up. That's why calling the police is so rubbish.

She obviously feels embattled but...

The headteacher was not interesting on anything as she is not materialist, she was supporting the team from her heart

but a lot of people had left the school becouse of the team that was something worring for her. As all the team know she is alone was a big risk to take I know for the team was small risk ( BOX )

She could never met the Master again to explain her reasons. And probably a meetting would of help the team more to understand her better.

Nothing bad in all these, everyone is free in doing what they like the head teacher is a beast but she is the best person in this world. Trust me

Hugenot, there are posts on this thread which do - shamefully - suggest this poster was inspired by racist motives. How on earth can a picture of plastic joke figures (they are the 'angry mob' from the old Frankenstein movie) surrounding a figure of Charles Darwin (white, male, dead) be racist? It makes no sense at all. I imagine the central figure was supposed to represent the governors - it was a joke! The joke may not be to everyone's taste, but that's a different issue.

Huguenot Wrote:

> Reggie, Emily refers to 'previous meetings had

> been heated'.

>

> That kind of tells us that this had been an

> ongoing and angry exchange possibly over months.

> We don't know how angry or what the nature of the

> aggression was. All the more reason for Moyles to

> have chosen his poster more carefully.

>

> This looks increasingly like a lynch mob against

> the headteacher, and that makes the poster even

> more poorly chosen.

The Hadteacher opinions is based on public comments. Was important for her to find out more

in person but no lack.

Emily I don't think it's realistic to imagine that a joke about an old Frankenstein movie is going to be the immediate reference that leaps to mind when it comes to lynch mobs.

Let's play family fortunes yeah?

We asked 100 people to name famous lynch mobs, our survey said...

Ku Klux Klan - 80%

Medieval witch hunt - 20%

Old Frankenstein Movie - 0%

Charles Darwin - 0%

It would be completely obtuse to suggest any other context.

If we assume that this was simply a mistake, then people should be calling Moyles position into question on the basis of a complete lack of judgement and inability to see how his actions would be perceived by others.