School desks

Dudley

People of the forum...

I have a young daughter and have been looking at some primary schools lately - both state and private.

She seems pretty bright (but then I would say that) but really I have no idea what she will be good at, or struggle at.

At one of the schools, the children were being taught maths. The teaching was very good and most of the children seemed very interested and engaged.

However the desks were arranged in groups such that some of the children had their backs to the board.

I know this is standard now in most primary schools -state or private.

At one point the teacher said to one of the children who was struggling to see what was going on on the board (because they unfortunately had a chair that was positioned with his back to the board) to turn his chair around so he could see.

Well, yes indeed.

I didn't think to mentioned it after the tour at the time, but really why can't all the desks be arranged so that they all face forward -i.e. the teacher and the board?

When is this nonsense about desks being in groups going to stop?

What is the philosophy behind "desks in groups"?

It's up to the teacher how the desks are arranged so you need to ask her. But children often work together on a task in groups so it is easier to have them arranged like that and no one is having to look at other children's backs. It also supports peer to peer learning which is now recognised as a powerful teaching method.

As a teacher I encourage children to work collaboratively and this is supported by pedagogical research. However when doing so I have always have children seated sideways so that they face the side of the room and only have to turn their heads to the side to see the front. So no one ever faces the back of the room. Also good teaching methods mean that a lot of teaching should not be happening at the front of the room anyway, so students should not be sitting there listening to the teacher for 30 minutes.

Usaually at Primary school, classroom time is split between peer to peer learing and "all eyes to the front" learning, Peer to peer is done on small tables often in groups of similar ability, with the teacher on the move, and "all eyes to the front" type learing is done all sitting on the carpet, usually with an individual little whiteboard each to practice writing/ write their answers on. Seems to work well IMO. Good luck finding the right place.

My husband is a primary school teacher and he rarely stands at the front to teach, he moves around the classroom and amongst the groups of tables throughout the lesson. He nevers sits down at his desk either, no wonder he's knackered when he gets home! Teaching is much less didactic and much more inclusive and collaborative (teacher/child, child/child) these days than when I was at primary school 20 years ago. It sounds a lot more fun in many ways!