West Norwood???

With a youngster and another one on the way, we have been thinking about bigger houses, outdoor space etc etc. My husband went off to view a house last week that he seems to have totally fallen in love with - only issue is that it is in West Norwood (quite how he ended up there with the estate agent seems to be a whole other story!)

My question to the you all is, do you know people (young families) who moved there?? Is it a nice area? Getting nicer?? He tells me that there is a Blackbird Bakery there which is a sign of gentrification. Hmmmm.

Having said all that wandering around ED in the spring sunshine this morning it feels mad to be even contemplating a move out of the area - just a perfect morning!

But seriously any West Norwood (!) thoughts gladly received.

i have read a couple of property pundits in the press over the last year (Guardian and Times) who tout W Norwood as 'the best place to invest' in south london right now. There and Anerly. I've noticed you can get some really lovely victorian terraced houses for the same price as a 2 bed flat in e Dulwich. Also noticed that parts of W Norwood are now being re: marketed as 'West Dulwich'. No ideas about the schools but given its relative proximity to central london and the cheaper housing stock am sure it'll only become a more interesting place to live for those who want an alternative to the crazy prices in E Dulwich...

However no experience of it myself personally but just 'heard' a few good things about it...good luck!

West Norwood has a really good train service from West Norwood station. It is close to west dulwich and has qute a few good nurseries- especially Nellys.

Rosendale school serves some of west norwood, but when I last looked, a few years ago, Elmwood Primary/junior school was not so good, but houses closer to streatham might get into Julians school. of course if you are going private there are lots of west dulwich private schools . try looking at west dulwich forum for some school threads. I think it is aerier than East Dulwich .

Hello! We recently moved to West Norwood from Herne Hill as we have recently had a baby (now 14 months) and could buy for our money.

It definitely doesn't quite have the same feel to it as East Dulwich but I really really feel it's going in the right direction. Last month saw the first West Norwood Feast which was just lovely. Website below and photo link below (not my photos I hasten to add, but all for public viewing!). It's on the first Sunday of every month :)

http://westnorwood.spacemakers.org.uk/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heygwells/sets/72157626418469534/

The high street isn't as 'independent' as ED but the area as a whole is coming along quite nicely. There isn't the same amount of cafe shops and family friendly pubs as there are in ED but who knows, maybe they'll come along soon.

I'm on a road parallel to St Julians Farm Road where apparently there is a good school (we haven't quite got to the stage of looking yet but it's good to know!). It's so quiet on our road, which I really wasn't expecting to the same degree as we had on Burbage Road in Herne Hill. Really peaceful :)

I guess like with anywhere there are nice and not so nice parts, so I'd have a good look around before you make a decision. But we are really happy here, have some lovely neighbours, and still head to East Dulwich and Herne Hill when I want and need, it's not far!!!

Hope this helps :)

Townleygreen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Some lovely streets and houses in W Norwood. I

> think it could be the next E Dulwich!

Hmm - I hoped this when I bought my first flat there in 2000. When I moved over to ED in 2005 it hadn't changed a bit - and it still hasn't!! Having said that I did not have young children at the time so was not considering larger properties/schools etc.

In my last job I did a regeneration study for Lambeth which highlighted a number of initiatives and plans that would really change the area (new secondary school just completed, plans for a swimming pool, the SOuth London Theatre, the potential of the library, plans for the high street around b and q etc.). Not sure what has happened since though!

The residential streets are nice - much bigger villa type houses - but many of them carved up into flats. The train service is way better than ED as you have the clapham junction/victoria option and the thameslink from tulse hill...