God I hate the Guardian

????

Ok. To move it away from the speckle wind up :)) and a more random Newspaper thread

The Sun has heigher ABC1 readership than any single broadsheet - the steretypying of both Sun and Mail readers by the intelligensia (some of whom may be Guardian readers) is a bit....er.....thoughtless stereotyping.

The two broadsheets I read the most are The Indie (daily) and The Guardian (mainly Saturdays but also once in a while in the week)

The Guardian - DC's right, it is generally the Columnists that wind me up although selective reporting and the use of certain value laden words in news stories does too. I do find it smug, and the Readers letters are laughable (I know., I know) none of it excites me Lacey was alright for football in an old school way and a mate of mine was a Football reporter there since moved to, erm...The Telegraph. I get more annoyed reading the Guardian than say the Times, which is just dull. It's business/economics is crap and I used to find it a Too much of a Labour party sheet, especially when both parliamentary democracy and Civil Rights were being eroded at the height of New Labour. It's too affiliated and tied up with both the Public Sector and Labour Party for its readership and advertsing for my liking. For a paper that's tradition lies in true Liberalism it's got too tied into Labour for my liking.

The Indie - I like it's range of columnists (Harrii and Yasmin excepted - the former needs counselling not a column), it's layout and Hamish McRae is the best economics/business reporter bar-non. I even like Burchill's polemic.

Torygraph - I presume the Business, Sport and Crosswords are still top notch but the rest toooooo much?

I also like the Spectator and New Yorker, on planes.

Quids beat me to it - the Sun has more posh folk, more clever folk, more idiots, more unemployed, more mondeo men and more lambrini girls than any other paper by mere dint of its vast number of readers. And it has influence over millions of people.

And David, you can be snotty about the creative writing crap they make up, but they also have some of the best headline writers in the English language (super caley go ballistic celtic are atrocious, anyone? A recent treat was I think "Gaga bra bar brouhaha" - frankly, there's not enough brouhaha in my opinion) Outstanding.

I can't remember the last time I bought a newspaper as I feel there is hardly any news worth reading. I occasionally read the Economist and regularly visit the BBC news website. Then use Google for deeper analysis.

For me, the reason why i despised the Guardian is because I used to work with idiots who adored the paper so much. Even down to the Guardian lifestyle which involved buying food and clothes from the intrinsically linked M&S.

God I hate the Guardian and M&S with all my heart.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Linking m&s with the guardian is nuts.

I tend to watch the Guardian fashion videos for amusement purposes. It's often the case there is usually a garment by M&S shown. Also M&S featured more search engine hits on the Guardian website than any other newspaper websites.

Moving on, other than your personal prejudices, where is your independent evidence which says linking m&s is nuts?

UDT

"Also M&S featured more search engine hits on the Guardian website than any other newspaper websites."

I work in the online industry and that sentence doesn't quite make sense - what do you mean, and what's your data source?

Besides, Marks & Spencer has about 10 million customers per week, whereas the Guardian only sells an average of 280,000 copies.

Hence 9,720,000 Marks and Spencer customers, - 97% of them - CANNOT be Guardian buyers.

I've got 50,000 quid that says more M&S customers read the News of the World than the guardian.

It's just another ridiculous bit of unsupported prejudice,

I would have thought M&S regulars more likely to be Mail readers. I used to read the Guardian but a combination of New Labour and Polly Toynbee gave me a serious allergy to its increasingly smug 'we're in charge now' attitude and every time I try and go back to it I get a rash (not as bad as the boils from Private Eye but uncomfortable nevertheless).

Huguenot Wrote:

> "Also M&S featured more search engine hits on the

> Guardian website than any other newspaper

> websites."

> I work in the online industry and that sentence

> doesn't quite make sense - what do you mean, and

> what's your data source?

Easy, I used each newspaper's search engine to search for m&s and the Guardian had the most hits.

Huguenot Wrote:

> Besides, Marks & Spencer has about 10 million

> customers per week, whereas the Guardian only

> sells an average of 280,000 copies.

>

> Hence 9,720,000 Marks and Spencer customers, - 97%

> of them - CANNOT be Guardian buyers.

> I've got 50,000 quid that says more M&S customers

> read the News of the World than the guardian.

>

> It's just another ridiculous bit of unsupported

> prejudice,

Where does it say in my posts that all of M&S customers read the Guardian?

Sorry forgot to add that you are a Guardian reader hence your slanted post.

"Easy, I used each newspapers' search engine to search for m&s and the Guardian had the most hits."

You become more peculiar in your assertions as you progress.

"Marks & Spencer" brought up 8,270 results on the Guardian, whereas "Sainsbury" brought up 9,897, "Tesco" 12,236

By your bizarre logic, The Guardian has more of an 'intrinsic link' with Tesco than Marks & Spencer??

As I said, it's just another ridiculous bit of unsupported prejudice.

Huguenot Wrote:

> "Easy, I used each newspapers' search engine to

> search for m&s and the Guardian had the most

> hits."

>

> You become more peculiar in your assertions as you

> progress.

>

> "Marks & Spencer" brought up 8,270 results on the

> Guardian, whereas "Sainsbury" brought up 9,897,

> "Tesco" 12,236

>

> By your bizarre logic, The Guardian has more of an

> 'intrinsic link' with Tesco than Marks &

> Spencer??

>

> As I said, it's just another ridiculous bit of

> unsupported prejudice.

You haven't subtracted the news stories.

I can't find the button that says 'subtract news stories'. I don't think you did either. You should check stuff before you start bullshitting.

The best you could do is just look at Life and Style - and guess what twinkle toes: M&S 1,245, Sainsbury 1,419, Tesco 1,446.

Look, instead of just making stuff up, why don't you admit that your assertions are baseless? Why do you keep making more and more complex lies?

It seems you are only intent in attacking my good name. If you want me to take you seriously I suggest you read all of the M&S, Sainsbury & Tesco results. Then count the ones where the Guardian has promoted, not just life & style section, and report back to me. That's 30,000 articles to read and categorised. No cheating please.

No Undisputedtruth, I don't have to do anything of the sort.

The fact is that you started making stuff up to justify an unpleasant and irrational prejudice. You've tried to be 'clever' to try and wheedle and twist your way out of it, and this is just another example. It's not very clever because you kept making claims that could be checked.

Every time your dishonest claims have been exposed, you pretend that they're based on something else.

Now your only response has been to try and make an uncheckable claim.

The fact is that you're both wrong and dishonest. There's no 'good name' to defend until you start being reasonable.

StraferJack Wrote:

> Undisputedtruth

>

> You haven't GOT a good name to defend

Good name? I thought it was supposed to be an ironic name. :))

Huguenot Wrote:

> No Undisputedtruth, I don't have to do anything of

> the sort.

>

> The fact is that you started making stuff up to

> justify an unpleasant and irrational prejudice.

> You've tried to be 'clever' to try and wheedle and

> twist your way out of it, and this is just another

> example. It's not very clever because you kept

> making claims that could be checked.

>

> Every time your dishonest claims have been

> exposed, you pretend that they're based on

> something else.

>

> Now your only response has been to try and make an

> uncheckable claim.

>

> The fact is that you're both wrong and dishonest.

> There's no 'good name' to defend until you start

> being reasonable.

I beg for your forgiveness as it seems I fallen short of your twisted logic.

• 2 weeks later...
That you may UDT, but they are timing their attacks on Murdoch to perfection. Government sends out feelers about signing of on the news deal ' we are minded '.....then the Guardian smashes them between the eyes with the Milly Dowler story. They have sat on that and waited. News Corporation deleted messages on a dead girls phone, gave her parents false hope and hampered an ongoing investigation.....Murdoch press.