Looking for someone in Dulwich

Moos Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think Ben has concluded we are a wasp's nest of

> argumentative nutters and is steering well clear.

xxxxxx

Can't think what would give him that idea :))

Alan, it is very difficult for numbers orientated left brain people to give the wrong tel out or even to contemplate the possibility of others doing it as their/our brains see patterns in strings of numbers. Most people don't and many people have trouble remembering their tel. There is, of corse, another explanation- maybe Ben did give her the wrong tel deliberately and then thought better of it/ realised the error/ wanted to change his life (Atticus, I am with you all the way.)

Ben the other thing is: if you are still reading our menaderings, British (and probably French but I am open to correction on this) will generally prefer men to take their nos as opposed to thinking that the girl will call rhe man. It has been a few years since I dated anyone but girls surely still expect men chase them a bit, don't they?!

poppy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Alan Medic Wrote:

>

> Your example is of just giving someone a wrong

> number... can

> > anyone explain how the two digit switch works?

>

>

> But surely it's the same thing? I am utterly

> baffled by your pedantry! Why not share with us

> your explanation if the most obvious explanations

> suggested here "don't wash"?

Thanks Poppy. It's been a while since I've utterly baffled anyone. Please clarify what you think is wrong with pedantry?

By the way there have been new developments overnight. Upon further scrutiny of the OP it suddenly clicked. Ben said he met the French woman in the Strand on APRIL 14th. He posted here on MAY 12th. Well BEN, what were you doing in between? The trail was a month old by the time you decided to tell your two digit switch story.

As you have now introduced yourself to the females of ED and managed to sweep them off their collective feet with your so romantic story, how many emails have you had from this region? These women don't want you to find the woman. They want to be the woman. When will you tell them you're from Dudley and live in a bedsit (rented) in Forest Hill?

Here's a possibility - the poster wondered why he hadn't been contacted, waited a bit, then thought - oh, have I given the wrong number? He said he had given his US number - maybe his error was in working out the right access code to key - which would be 00 (or +) 1 (for the US, for us in the UK it would be 44) then his mobile number with the leading 0 suppressed. If he had got that front end wrong he might not have known until someone later told him that he was giving out an ineffective number - even when you know your own number well you tend to remember it as the number as it is keyed in your home country - not someone else's - that bit you have to work out.

Let's not (necessarily) think the worst here - it could still be a charming (and genuine) story.

No; despite my undoubtedly "dying to", as you correctly surmise, it would only encourage him in this ill-advised belief that women call or contact him....we have already seen the downside of that, haven't we? ;-)

Lordy, the poor guy must think we are all nutcases...

Give him a break there are lots of reasons he could have transposed digits there is a possibility he is dyscalculia. I am and even though I can tell you my mobile number I could have easily written it down wrong?. But then id never know. Interesting that we haven?t heard anything from Ben recently, does he really want our help?

I think Alan Medic is just after a bottle of something splendid when Ben and the mystery woman are finally reunited thanks to Alan keeping the thread alive for 17 months. :)

How about the possibility that he in fact switched the digits intentionally, and then changed his mind when he got home/his girlfriend dumped him/he got desperate?

If only EmilyE, if only. Alas noone has owned up to being French in Dulwich or indeed being called Heather.I don't think I could keep this going for 17 months. Interesting theory you have which has more merit than those who think this is some sort of soppy love affair in the making. I wonder how many of the local ladies have emailed him? Well I will reveal all when Ben gets back to me!

Good grief, sorry to have caused such trouble!

In answer to a number of questions: i mucked up my phone number as ive just moved to a new office in NY and dont spend all of my time there... Also i only received one email and that was from a chap not a lady.......

And then she emailed just 10 minutes ago. Hooray! Now all i have to do is think of a suitably cool response!

A sincere thanks to you all, the power of the internet is amazing sometimes.

Ben

Ben, ahem........I emailed you. Given she has emailed you too and you are not mixing us up it's fair to assume that she has read this thread (thanks I might add, as you haven't, to my keeping it going). So comments like you must think 'of a suitably cool response' will have been read by her too. Basically you've blown that one then. Not being known for your thinking is possibly not the best thing to write either. I'd say your best bet is that her English isn't very good. Is Heather a free agent by the way? Know any pubs in Forest Hill where we could meet up for a double partially blind date type of thing?