Peckham Rye or ED?

Angelina

We've lived off LL on Melbourne Grove and now live at the bottom of Barry Road. We have the best of both worlds now:

near the park, which is the big differentiator for us and a 20 minute walk to PR station (fabulous to the ginger line) Buses 12 and 63 take us to wherever we want (although slow). Cycling to the City takes 30 minutes (and I am safe and not speedy). Kids could cycle to school. LL's shops and cinema are a pleasant 10 minutes walk. We have the trendiness and vibrancy of Peckham at hand. Plus the houses are bigger, parking is easier and PR as a whole has more potential (house price growth) than LL, which has probably peaked. It would be a no-brainer for me.

We lived behind the cinema and now live by the park. I loved it there, but I much prefer it here. Come to the green side! It's the best of both, you're only a short walk from LL and there are some lovely cafes round here.

You?ll quickly adapt. We ?compromised? 7 years ago when we opted for a larger house towards the top of Underhill, rather than nearer LL. Never looked back. It?s quieter, easier to park, closer to the Rye, house & garden bigger, etc etc, and the adjustment to an additional 10 min commute happened seamlessly. Plus LL is merely 5 mins on the bus or a 15 min stroll.

Angelina Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> it's a ten min walk to PR station, which feels

> like ages in London-commute time!

>

> but I think I just need to change my mindset

Used to live off Melbourne Grove and now near Peckham Rye having spent a while specifically waiting for a property to come on the market on Marmora, Therapia and Mundania Roads. We primarily wanted to move for more space and a bigger garden but towards for end of our time in East Dulwich, the train service was so bad that it was turning our daily commute into pure misery.

Peckham Rye is incredible for transport (63 or 363 takes you straight to station), park on doorstep is so nice and all the hip restaurants popping up on Peckham high street are making the area really quite lovely.

Plus the parking space!!!! Have honestly never looked back and this is coming from someone who absolutely adores Lordship Lane.

Chief Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> why would anyone prefer Peckham?

Whoa there. Both are good areas, doesn't need to be a competition. East Dulwich has a more upmarket, genteel feel... smart high street with shops, restaurants, cafes. Slightly more leafy and suburban. Peckham Rye is much better connected, has some nightlife, just as good for eating and drinking, more scruffy but also more eclectic. Your money will go a bit further, and there are some much larger houses to be found. Pros and cons.

IMO the triangle between East Dulwich Rd, Bellenden Rd and Rye Lane is the "sweet spot", where you have both within a short walk. (I am biased)