Lordship Lane Co Op - still a shambles

tomskip

Peckhampam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So M&S nearly 25% cheaper

Subject to the above information of course, egg size and quantity and of course are they free range etc.

If you don?t mind caged eggs, Iceland sell 10 large ones for a quid. Don?t think M&S could match that.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> Sue Iceland sell 6 large free range eggs for

> 0.89p, 12 for ?1.75.

>

> Not sure of the size and price of M&S eggs, but 10

> for ?1.36 is a good deal if they?re free range and

> large.

>

They are mixed sizes but all a good size, unlike some other supermarkets whose mixed size eggs are usually on the small size.

Co-op free range eggs were not cheap last time I looked.

The current Iceland price is good, maybe they are cheaper now than I remember from when Iceland was in Lordship Lane.

There is no way I would buy eggs from caged hens, however cheap they were.

As long as it has the right certification 'Organic' is a more useful categorisation for eggs than free range, at least as regards animal welfare. https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/organic-poultry-and-eggs

However it is worth noting (I have been told, so second hand information) that many millions more 'organic' eggs are sold each day than are laid. Go figure!

Penguin68 Wrote:

> As long as it has the right certification

> 'Organic' is a more useful categorisation for eggs

> than free range, at least as regards animal

> welfare.

> https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/organic-poult

> ry-and-eggs

>

That's true.

Dulwich Fox, now perhaps you could post some equivalent pictures of battery hens, so that we can compare the conditions in which they are kept?

ETA: At least those free range hens are not confined to small cages.

ETA: I would look for some pictures myself, but I can't bear to.

Free range eggs are so cheap that I do think only the desperate or ignorant would buy battery eggs now.

Infact all food is inexpensive as a proportion of salary now compared to say, 30 to 60 years ago. And before everyone starts I know that is nowhere near offset by housing/childcare/stagnated wages costs!

I would just like a decent alternative to M&S on Lordship Lane. M&S is fine if you want to treat yourself to a ready meal but not great if you prefer to cook from scratch. The shop is overcrowded and frustrating with a disproportionate amount of junk food and everything packaged in plastic to the nth degree.

I agree with the pp who said that if Co Op are sinking slowly without a fight then that's a shame. They could properly up their game and have plenty of custom from those of us who aren't completely hoodwinked by M&S.

tomskip is quite right. Why on earth the Co-Op didn't seize the opportunity when Iceland left is beyond me. Most retailers would ave thought Christmas had come early. M&S is great for some things, but it's not a comprehensive shop.

Sue Wrote:

> Penguin68 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > As long as it has the right certification

> > 'Organic' is a more useful categorisation for

> eggs

> > than free range, at least as regards animal

> > welfare.

> >

> https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/organic-poult

>

> > ry-and-eggs

> >

>

>

>

> That's true.

>

> Dulwich Fox, now perhaps you could post some

> equivalent pictures of battery hens, so that we

> can compare the conditions in which they are

> kept?

>

> ETA: At least those free range hens are not

> confined to small cages.

>

> ETA: I would look for some pictures myself, but I

> can't bear to.

This thread is about the Co-op and not about the ethics of Hen Eggs.

My picture was in reply to your statement

There is no way I would buy eggs from caged hens, however cheap they were.

So I am not going to continue the debate.

Back to the Co-op please.

Foxy

A few weeks ago I shopped in. Coop by using my iPhone torch as it was pitch black in the middle of the day. The chilled veg aisle was shut as flooded. Staff are often in their coats as no heating. When it was taken over and frontage was changed the whole store should of undergone a refurb. It must be a total money pit!

GinaG3 Wrote:

> A few weeks ago I shopped in. Coop by using my

> iPhone torch as it was pitch black in the middle

> of the day. The chilled veg aisle was shut as

> flooded. Staff are often in their coats as no

> heating. When it was taken over and frontage was

> changed the whole store should of undergone a

> refurb. It must be a total money pit!

When it reopened after the refurb, they were giving away vouchers in the High Street. There were people there presumably from the Co-Op Head Office.

We were told that there were "lots of new lines."

We walked all round the store and couldn't see any. And now it seems to be even worse than it was before.

I would happily shop at the Co-Op (and still do occasionally) if only they would up their game. I can't see how they are managing to stay open.

Doors of chilled food cabinets are nearly always open, wasting energy and possibly putting the food at risk of spoiling. I've been told that sometimes staff don't unlock them after stacking the cabinets, leaving the cold air to escape. That aside, I like the size of the store and the fact it has a good outreach campaign alongside its loyalty scheme.

KidKruger Wrote:

> If you prefer to cook from scratch, try organic

> village, they deserve a slice of the action that

> M&S / co-op do not deliver.

> It's not all about big stores / supermarkets.

Agree 100%. SMBS too. Co op are messing it up badly but there are others nearby really working to offer something good. Let's spend our money there.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-----------------

>

>

> So I am not going to continue the debate.

>

> Back to the Co-op please.

>

Well I don't know where the Co-op sources its free range eggs. Anyone know?

However those of M&S say on the pack "From hens that are free to roam on grassy pasture amongst trees."

End of debate :))

It's funny that you say that. A couple of months ago I felt compelled to report them to the local Food Standards Agency at the Council. Between my partner and I, we had been in 3 times over the course of 1 week and on each visit we had noticed that the cooked meat fridge was not working. It was warm and the packages inside were warm to the touch, unlike the contents in the fridge next to it.

On my final visit that week, there was a member of staff stocking up the broken fridge and when I mentioned to him that he shouldn't be putting cooked meat (if anything at all) into a broken cooler unit, he informed me that it had been logged and somebody would be out to fix it. That's when I noticed several packets of cooked chicken tikka which had amassed so much bacterial growth that they had inflated like balloons.

Needless to say, but I have not been a regular customer at LL Co-op since that day.

Also, like to say that posting info on forums like this is very useful so please keep doing so. I rarely pop in here but when I do and see posts like this I am able to pass info and concerns on directly to the people that need to know.

I would fully support the Co-op and wish they can organise themselves to live up to their potential.

Does anyone actually know who to speak to/ what needs to happen/ why it's in this mess?

I would much rather buy British meat that's not transported to EU or outside for slaughter than buy meat from Tesco / Asda/ Sainsbury's etc. We should be able to buy locally sourced meat from supermarkets.

Not sure why? Don't want to look at pictures?

Have a look at Compassion in World Farming - www.ciwf.com

Maybe if there was better education around the cruelty towards the animals we eat, we would make better choices and actually make a positive change. The Co-op is there, on our doorstep and is much more ethical than other supermarkets. We should support it's #recovery' in every way we can.