Gang in East Dulwich

Or dead or in prison - they are twice as many black youth in prison as university and the ones showing this behaviour in these videos represent I would have thought the more extreme end of the spectrum. Unlikely statistically for them to be moaning about Foxtons or estate agent leaflets or wishing another organic free-trade mum-friendly coffee-shop onto us a couple of years down the line.

Unlikely statistically for them to be moaning about Foxtons or estate agent leaflets or wishing another organic free-trade mum-friendly coffee-shop onto us a couple of years down the line.

I bloody hope not, for their sakes! Prison sounds more attractive quite frankly.

This

I still say the kids in those videos are just trying to look and sound hard. Disagreeable stuff, perhaps, but I certainly wouldn't lose sleep over it, and suspect that the vast majority of them will probably be totally respectable adults ina few years time.

:-$

Interesting statistic there illybilly99. Where's it come from ? And what's your point? Bit weird to define 'respectability' in terms of the unattrative aspirational ED fripperies you mention. These videos are pernicious and annoying - but I don't think catastrophist approach helps. Don't be frightened of every black kid you see in a hoody. He could be my son or that of one of my mates - and end up being the person performing that hip replacement surgery you need or defending you in that fraud trial, or even becoming your MP.

DJKQ I agree with most of what you say - including councils retaining the right to threaten recalcitrant parents with expulsion from social housing. Also hats off to you for actually doing something to help. Good positive stuff.

I think Quids has the measure of things with his comments about this obnoxious kind of material largely ( though not exclusively ) being about kids wanting to look hard.

• 2 weeks later...
Its lovely to see the young chaps of East Dulwich getting their funky stuff together:) Rhyming chants and formation dancing is all very well but I must say pointing is still rude and all that smoking is making me cough!