Best route north on a bank hol Friday?

To be specific we are heading to North Yorks - with a stop off this side of York for Friday night.

Google Maps says M1, but the M11/A1 alternative is only 9 mins longer - so clearly it's all about which is easier to get to on a Friday night - M1 or M11 - as clearly the first hour of the journey is going to be the worst.

We won't be leaving till around 7.30/8pm so hopefully missing the worst of it.

Any expert views welcome as it's not a journey we do often!

M11 is far easier to get to thanks to the A12, which is separated from most normal roads. I'd take the Rotherhithe tunnel and A13 to get to the A12. You'll hit traffic once you cross the river, but when you're on the A12 things will move faster.

M1 means crossing central London, which is fun in a way, but never quick.

Similar question from me. I'm starting from my work in Westminster and am looking to get to Manchester. I cant decide whether to go up edgeware rd and on to the M1 which will be a nightmare as it involves being in town for so long.

The other option is to take the M40 either from the westway, or by going through Hammersmith M4/M25. My instinct says that in normal circumstances going by Hammersmith would be best, but not sure about venturing on the M25 around rush-hour on a bank holiday weekend.

@spanglysteve- I do this trip regularly. Leaving to head north on a Friday means you will have to sit in traffic at some point. My best advice is treat yourself to a marks & spencer picnic and head out on the m4/m25 route to the m40. Them use the toll rd on m6 and floor it for 19 miles to make up for the slow start!

Akc74 definitely Rotherhithe, M11 on a Friday night.

Spanglysteve - What I have done before is park at westfield, took car there at lunch then got tube back in to work. This way you can get straight on to the M40. Otherwise I'd do M4/M25/M40 route. Definitely M6 toll.

I always try and avoid the A5 (Edgeware) and head up/down the A41 (Finchley Road). Less traffic lights.

I have done this journey more time than I care to think.

I would opt for the M11 route. Just getting through central London to the M1 on a Friday evening is a good hour and a quarter. You should be on the M11 by then, barring closures to the Blackwall Tunnel that is.

Or....Islington/Holloway Road/Archway/A1 (Holloway can be the problem)....but I'd tend to go M11/A1

The M40 for York Ramble!!! behave....gotta to get there (round one of the M25's busiest section by your route) then you're vearing NW. plus going round the Motorway from M40 to M6 Then somehow accross to M1?? head NE on M1 then leeds to York, etc etc must be nearly 100ish more Miles than A1 (surely)?

*takes off anorak

Agree with the others that M4/M25/M40 & M6 Toll is fastest way. If the M25 is congested you can carry on along M4 and use the A404 (along the Chilterns) to get to the M40.

spanglysteve Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Similar question from me. I'm starting from my

> work in Westminster and am looking to get to

> Manchester. I cant decide whether to go up

> edgeware rd and on to the M1 which will be a

> nightmare as it involves being in town for so

> long.

>

> The other option is to take the M40 either from

> the westway, or by going through Hammersmith

> M4/M25. My instinct says that in normal

> circumstances going by Hammersmith would be best,

> but not sure about venturing on the M25 around

> rush-hour on a bank holiday weekend.

Yes but there are two questions in the thread - one for York (M11) and the other for Manchester (M6).

Townleygreen Wrote:

> I agree with Quids, much of these routes are far

> too far west. The OP is trying to get to York for

> goodness sake. M11 is your best bet.

Quids you bahave and read mine and other peoples posts! That bit was to spanglysteve who was asking about Manchester from Westmister. I fully agreed M11 for York and sometimes best way for Manchester but not from Westminster.

Thanks to Benmorg for pointing it out! And to Townleygreen for apologising.

???? Wrote:

> Or....Islington/Holloway Road/Archway/A1 (Holloway

> can be the problem)....but I'd tend to go M11/A1

>

> The M40 for York Ramble!!! behave....gotta to get

> there (round one of the M25's busiest section by

> your route) then you're vearing NW. plus going

> round the Motorway from M40 to M6 Then somehow

> accross to M1?? head NE on M1 then leeds to York,

> etc etc must be nearly 100ish more Miles than A1

> (surely)?

>

>

> *takes off anorak

My route will be via Brixton/Stockwell Rd/Vauxhall Bridge Rd/Victoria/Grosvenor Place/Park Lane/Upper Brook St/Park St

then follow A41 Swiss Cottage then follow sign to Brent Cross/M1. This is on a bank holiday and weekend where there is no congestion charge. Beware of diversion at Victoria Stn area - Wilton Road is no longer accessable to private vehicles.

This is the route I normally take to Nottingham (avoiding Edgware Rd/Kilburn/Cricklewood) 4-5 times a year. I have tried the A12/M11/M25/M1 route once and found it a bit longer and both the Rotherhite and Blackwall Tunnels can be problematic with cars breaking down therein.

Thanks for all the advice. I took M4/M25/M40/M6(toll). All in it took me around 5 hours which is what I was roughly expecting with bank holiday traffic. I've done the same journey in the middle of the night before but from Dulwich and it only took 3 1/2 hours!