Recommendations for local Vets Please. We're desperate to find a really good vet locally.

Frieda

Hi Kamila, so sorry about LaLa I know how much you love her :( I have been to Foxgrove at Beckenham for emergencies and wasn't that enamoured with them. I have been to the emergency vet at Streatham once to have my 17 year old cat put to sleep and with one of my customers who called me up in the middle of the night, I groomed his Dacshund for years, and he needed to be put to sleep that night. I found them very good on each occasion, very compassionate and very good in an emergency, also very expensive, but thats to be expected.

Karen (Groomer)

xx

I have used the Parish Lane Vet in Penge (nr Penge East station) - Brian is the vet, and he is fantastic. He looked after our cat for 10 years. Eventually Jacob had to be euthanased (if that is a word!) and it was done superbly caringly by him. He is a very practical man and tries to avoid expensive and unnecessary procedures.

02087787789 - 1 Parish Lane SE20 7LH

• 2 months later...

We have just found an amazing vets, Norwood Road Vets. Ellie has looked after our very poorly cat brilliantly. She is professional and caring. The team of veterinary nurses are also fantastic. The two vets we saw when Ellie was on holiday were up to date with our case. I can't recommend the surgery highly enough.

We found Norwood Road surgery following an extremely upsetting experience at Brockwell Veterinary Surgery. We had been using this surgery for 4 years and have received good service from some caring and professional vets. Unfortunately we also had a couple of bad experiences here.

On this occasion we took our cat to Brockwell's, suspecting that he had been hit by a car because he couldn't move and his claws were damaged. Our concerns for his health were not taken seriously and he was not examined thoroughly, and we were advised to bring him back the next day if he was no better. Having voiced our concerns by phone when we got home we were offered a follow up consultation that afternoon. However, we decided to find an alternative vets to get a second opinion. Luckily we found Ellie at Norwood Road. He was diagnosed with a broken spine, had surgery to remove his tail and now after three weeks of continuing care from us and the vets he is slowly recovering.

We cannot be happier with the care at Norwood Road Vets.

Agree Norwood Road vets is great-I have changed from Brockwell vets to here. I recently took my very sick cat there, they spent ages with him eliciting what was wrong, nothing was too much trouble & they were extremely kind & caring. They even apologised for the bill, which wasn't as expensive as I imagined. Thankfully he is now well again.

At Brockwell vets, I never saw the same vet twice, although I had been taking my elderly dog there for many years with a chronic condition. I always had to ask for an itemised bill ( something Norwood Road does as a matter of course )- sometimes they didn't like this. On viewing the itemised bill, often I had been charged for an extended consultation, when I querried this I was told I had been longer than the alloted time, however this was only because the vet didn't know my dog, hadn't read her notes, so was asking me her history. Brockwell seems interested only in the money & how to extract as much of it as possible from its customers.

I just have to support all the good reviews of Norwood Rd vets. Both Ellie and Judy (part-time) were brilliant and caring in the last year of my cat's life. Judy came round in July, when he was 2 months short of his 18th birthday with the lovely nurse (sorry have forgotten your name if you're reading!) and couldn't have dealt with putting him down in a more caring and empathetic way - before, during and after. As they were leaving they even told me not to worry about phoning to pay until I was ready. About a week later I got a personalised card that was really nice and kind.

kamila Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Now I really would like to ask you - does anyone know of an emergency vet that they could recommend?

When we lived in Clapham, we took our dog to the emergency vet in Victoria (http://www.esvc.co.uk/). He was very poorly between Christmas and New Year, of course! The staff there were brilliant, the receptionist was very sympathetic and the vet was reassuring and great with our dog.

As you would expect the bill was expensive, but thanks to their help he's still with us now.

hi all, i would like to recommend mayo vets in se26, mayo rd. tony the owner is so dedicated to owners and there animals. he is very friendly and explains all his doing. i have trusted him with tricky operations and would literally trust him with my pets lifes over any other vet as tried a few over the years (shardloes and catford vets opposite old cinema) and was very upset by there lack of affection for my animals in catford and shardloes expensive prices. mayo gets my vote everytime.

Mayow Road Veterinary Surgery

48 Mayow Rd

Sydenham

London

SE26 4JA

020 8659 4496

• 2 years later...

Coming in a bit late here, but just to add that my experience with Mayo vets in Sydenham has been good so far, even if the circumstances (the illness of my cat and subsequent euthanasia) were not.

In fact I went to them after I had moved from Brixton where I formerly went to Brockwell Vets in Herne Hill. Unfortunately my experience with them was not good. I discovered after having to put my cat down that they had identified a lump on her stomach some 7 months earlier, but not passed on their suspicions to me. By the time that problem was correctly diagnosed my cat was very ill and I had to put her down within a week.

I have asked Brockwell Vets for an explanation as to why they did not share their concerns with me, as well as an apology. All they have said is that they asked me to return for a check-up, and that conditions such as the one that affected my cat are generally untreatable. While the latter may be true it still rankles that they did not share their suspicions and concerns with me.