Nando?s coming to Rye Lane, Peckham

Louisa

Oh.

That was why I said just yes or no would suffice :))

But glad to know the answer, anyway. I won't be eating there.

ETA: Though I have in the past eaten at Nando's. I'm sure it will do well in Peckham, just that I have become more aware of animal welfare issues than I used to be.

But it's not really that simple Sue.

For example, a large part of Nando's offering is that it's very family friendly, which is a bonus if you have young kids. It's also a good place for teenagers to go on their own.

As a parent, I'm ok with my children eating there because at least I know where the food comes from, and that it isn't terrible. Compare and contrast with Pizza Express, also very family friendly - I strongly suspect the meats they use are not much different in welfare terms to Nando's. Should that stop us eating here?

Maybe I'm a bit of a hypocrite - I would never use less than high end free range meat in my job, and I can trace all of it from field to fork, but in day to day life we sometimes make compromises.

JoeLeg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But it's not really that simple Sue.

>

> For example, a large part of Nando's offering is

> that it's very family friendly, which is a bonus

> if you have young kids. It's also a good place for

> teenagers to go on their own.

>

> As a parent, I'm ok with my children eating there

> because at least I know where the food comes from,

> and that it isn't terrible. Compare and contrast

> with Pizza Express, also very family friendly - I

> strongly suspect the meats they use are not much

> different in welfare terms to Nando's. Should that

> stop us eating here?

>

> Maybe I'm a bit of a hypocrite - I would never use

> less than high end free range meat in my job, and

> I can trace all of it from field to fork, but in

> day to day life we sometimes make compromises.

I wasn't suggesting nobody should eat at Nando's, JoeLeg!

I'm sure it will be a great addition to Peckham!

Of course everybody does what they want food wise.

Speaking purely for myself, where there are other suitable options, I just prefer not to eat chicken which isn't free range, and these days I ask.

Thnaks for the link. I'm not a Nando's fan, it's a step up from the existing chicken places in Peckham though.

I can't put my finger on why exactly I don't like Nando's. There's something about the self-serve cutlery situation that really irritates me. Is it the cutlery itself? The fact that you have to go and get your own? A combination? Either way, I just find myself irritated when I go.

Bill's for LL? It's just a bistro, with a reputation for treating staff poorly. I used to work in Lewes where it originated, and my colleagues all refused to go there because of "Bill's behaviour", whatever that may be. It's a funny town so maybe take that with a pinch of salt. Even so, I don't know that we need another bistro here, do we?

• 3 months later...

Well I?ve been trying my best to monitor this situation via the planning portal, which isn?t working very well at all lately. It would appear that the application has been removed, and Nando?s have either changed their mind about Peckham ,or the location at the Aylesham Centre. Either way, this now appears to be on ice or not going to happen.

Something very similar happened a few years ago when Turtle Bay were very keen on Peckham and submitted a planning application and the plans appeared to be shelved for whatever reason. Not sure how or why, but it would seem that whenever useable businesses for the whole community want to come to our neck of the woods, lots of people who apparently ?know best? about what we all want, interrupt the process and eventually these businesses give up on us. Seems a real shame that in times of struggling high streets, businesses which were attracted to us pull out.

Louisa.

• 3 months later...

Maybe not?

18/AP/1393

Application Received Fri 27 Apr 2018

Application Validated Mon 30 Apr 2018

Address UNIT 2, THE AYLESHAM CENTRE, RYE LANE, LONDON, SE15 5EW

Proposal Display of x1 fascia sign, x1 projecting sign and x1 menuboard: all internally illuminated.

Status Unknown

Decision Granted

Decision Issued Date Mon 25 Jun 2018