'Library Review' and possible closures by Southwark Council

dukesdenver wrote

> (Like how much the library service spends on postage for letters notifying you that reservations are ready for collection -

> they could save a bit there by sending emails instead!)

When I took some books back two days ago I was told that my registration needed to be rechecked -- no problem, just a matter of checking that i was ta the same address. But I was also asked for an e-mail address, and told that that would be used for communications.

I belong to several other London borough libraries. They've all been using e-mail for communications for yonks.

Is that savings of ?397K per annum or is that the total level of savings required split over the 2 years? If the latter that is only a 2.5 per cent reduction in revenue funding which actually seems remarkably low given the other cuts to public services at the moment. Even at 5 per cent isn't that just reflecting the cut Southwark has had in its central government funding allocation?

Lambeth are reviewing their public library service and Lewisham have transferred a couple of libraries over to community ownership. I understand Bromley and Bexley are doing similar reviews. I don't understand why each borough has to manage its own library service. Given the need to reduce costs surely serious consideration should be given to creating a sub-regional (or even Londonwide) library service which would result in pretty significant cost savings especially in management terms and which could then be used for service improvements as well as capital improvement of some of the buildings. Public libraries are dying through the effects of a thousand cuts - what we need from you and your colleagues James, on a cross party basis, is bold leadership to radically think about how library services are managed and run in the future and not just the same as.

Hi richfish,

Southwark has 12 libraries. Each one has a manager (well Kingsdale is managed under Dulwich Library) and then it should if everything devolved to local library management need just a head of library managers role.

If you then layer it into a cross London Library function you would need lots of other layers and HR team a seperate finance team etc. So cross London I could see being more costly.

It would also mean that you can;t blame local councillors when you're not happy. So local democratic accountabiltiy of a local service.

From my experience of working in libraries in Australia, inter-library loans were never a 'back-office staff' function and could be done very easily online by any staff member. I would be very surprised if it is not as simple in this country.

Volunteers can of course manage the help desk and register books in and out but they certainly do not have the necessary skills to buy books that cater to the demographic(again, am very surprised that each library doesn't buy its own books with its own book buying budget). Cafes are a great idea for revenue. So is room hire and video membership (monthly membership based on the Love Film model? Without the online delivery, obviously).

Libraries in Southwark desperately need homework mentors and people to offer internet training (for young and old). Who else would be able to offer this kind of support?

A lot of work has been done by CILIP and ASLIB to promote the modern library. Have either of these organisations been involved to date?

James

I would recommend that you ask for a proper cost benefit analysis of the more radical regional/sub-regional options. The commissioning/provision of other local authority run services on a reiognal/sub-regional model have generated significant management savings as far as I am aware and I don't see why public libraries should be any different. They have also promoted improved back office efficiencies which would further reduce costs and not increase them - you are already paying for the Finance/HR/ICT costs but I suspect they are not disaggregated and so you don't know the true cost of the service.

I don't buy the argument that you need a locally run library service to enable democratic accountability. Southwark could easily retain the joint commissioning and management responsibility of a regional service and Southwark users would continue to hold you accountabiltiy for that local delivery. Although I think Southwark libraries are actually pretty good, I don't think that Councillors in general can argue that their leadership and accountability for the public library service in England has been anything other than inconsistent, inadequate and under-resourced.

In my view you need to be much bolder in considering all alternatives and developing robust cost and quality options to inform you of the best course of action to take. Otherwise I think you are writing the final chapter in the history of the great British public library service.

In response to this post, the council does not employ a team of inter-library staff, there is currently one member of staff who deals with this service. The building photographed, which is run rent-free, houses the stock services team, the reserve stock for the borough, and also the local NUT offices. We are one of only six library services in London to have the supply chain accredited for using technology to increase efficiency. We do stock Chekhov, and we do send email notifications.

We really do want to encourage debate around the future of the library service, and look forward to as many people as possible having their say. You can find out more information about the consultation here or email [email protected] if you have any questions.

Councillor Veronica Ward, cabinet member for culture, leisure, sport and the Olympics

Veronica,

Peckham Rose would appear to be correct: there are no Chekhov plays held at any Southwark branch library according to Southwark's online catalogue. Most of the Chekhov items listed (stories etc.) seem to be described as 'not available at branches' or words to that effect, or located in the mysterious 'Peckham Store' (which is presumably not the Peckham Library). Then there's 'no availability records'.

I volunteer for two libraries in a Central London borough where unlike Southwark, we have self-service returns and discharges and plenty of current stock of books, DVD's and CD's.

No staff were made redundant while introducing the automated system, however I feel that Southwark library staff could be better utilised with other tasks in the library (based on my visits to Dulwich), while keeping a minimum counter presence.

A couple of corrections to the debate that have been helpfully sent to me:

"The [inter library loan]fee charged in Southwark is 50p if a book is already in stock somewhere in the borough. If the book has to be purchased or obtained from another authority, or the British Library then we charge ?2 per item. These are some of the lowest charges in London, for example Bexley charges ?3 for books not in stock in the borough and an additional ?10 for a British Library loan, Croydon charges ?3.50 and ?12.60 respectively.

We send e-mail notifications for people who have reserved books, although there are still some people who do not have e-mail addresses.

The Home Library Service has not closed. The funding for this part of the service will cease on March 31st 2013 and we are currently looking at alternative ways of sustaining this service. It is too early to draw any conclusions on this and I am concerned that people may be misled into thinking the service is being cut and that we are not making any effort to look at alternative means of provision."

I've been assured books are still fashionable with lending going up. The library consultation talks about lots of other non book things hence my misunderstanding!

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A couple of corrections to the debate that have

> been helpfully sent to me:

> "The fee charged in Southwark is 50p if a book is

> already in stock somewhere in the borough. If the

> book has to be purchased or obtained from another

> authority, or the British Library then we charge

> ?2 per item. These are some of the lowest charges

> in London, for example Bexley charges ?3 for books

> not in stock in the borough and an additional ?10

> for a British Library loan, Croydon charges ?3.50

> and ?12.60 respectively.

Hi James,

I'm not quite sure what you are correcting here. As I rightfully said before Southwark charges ?2 to order books through the inter library loan. To say the inter library loan starts from 50p is untrue. Last year Lewisham charged 50p for each book I ordered through the inter-library loan and took a few weeks to arrive from other local authorities. I strongly disagree that Southwark has the lowest library charges in London.

Michael

It's more accurate to say that the 50p charge is for reservations on items stocked by Southwark libraries. The item you want could be supplied by any Southwark branch but that's not strictly an inter-library loan.

It's certainly cheaper than City of London libraries which charge ?1 for reservations.

Fuschia Wrote:

> If the upstairs room at dulwich isn't used weekend

> afternoons I wonder if library book themed parties

> could be offered

I suspect the main problem with this idea is that it would distract staff undertaking a front line service and incur extra costs at a time when Southwark Council is trying to balance the books.

>

> I suspect the main problem with this idea is that

> it would distract staff undertaking a front line

> service and incur extra costs at a time when

> Southwark Council is trying to balance the books

Well no, I was suggesting it as a money making venture

As the costs of running the building are pretty much fixed, it could be cost effective to have extra staff in to run that sort of thing

?25-?50 ph is the going rate for party hire

I don't think there are any parties run at the library and it's. Very lucrative Market ... Mot one that 'community groups' are involved in

Anyway, it was just a suggestion - my line of work very much includes this sort of lateral thinking Income generation - and it's a more palatable option than spending reductions

My point is for the library service to look to increase income rather than just cutting spending

Southwark Council's libraries do hire out their halls http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200062/libraries/913/library_fees_and_charges/2 .

Moving on, as a last ditch option community run libraries seems a worthy alternative to closing down libraries. Next, I suspect Southwark Council would be looking at putting coffee shops in their biggest libraries. From the youtube links supplied by James, it seems there is a huge potential for savings by reviewing the back office functions.

Just come back from Dulwich Library this morning where I was approached by a member of staff to fill out a 'Library Review Questionnaire'. It didn't take long and had space at the back to put forward any comments, which I did. I think this is a good way at tackling this issue, seeing what the local people think/feel.

Why is Southwark not a member of London Libraries Consortium? I find the selection of books available in our local, Grove Vale, disappointing and have been turned down when I suggested that they buy a particular book. With LLC I believe you can order books from any one of the libraries of around 12 london boroughs. They arrive swiftly. My Wandsworth friend speaks very highly of the service.

Undisputedtruth Wrote:

> Southwark Council's libraries do hire out their

> halls

> http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200062/libraries/

> 913/library_fees_and_charges/2 .

>

They do, but nowhere near as much as they could

I spend quite a lot of time in the library and the room is mostly empty

> Moving on, as a last ditch option community run

> libraries seems a worthy alternative to closing

> down libraries. Next, I suspect Southwark Council

> would be looking at putting coffee shops in their

> biggest libraries. From the youtube links supplied

> by James, it seems there is a huge potential for

> savings by reviewing the back office functions.

prickle Wrote:

> Why is Southwark not a member of London Libraries

> Consortium? I find the selection of books

> available in our local, Grove Vale, disappointing

> and have been turned down when I suggested that

> they buy a particular book. With LLC I believe you

> can order books from any one of the libraries of

> around 12 london boroughs. They arrive swiftly. My

> Wandsworth friend speaks very highly of the

> service.

Last there were articles in the press about having the GLA being put in charge of all the libraries in London and saving money by cutting out the senior mangement. The LLC sounds like a very good idea and I think there other consortium groups around London.

I tend to feel Southwark libraries are against users, wanting more choice, from ordering books outside the borough. The high inter-library loan fees charged by Southwark, in my view, also reflects that.

@celebrationoftheyear - Thanks for reporting back.

Does