back on the move: window cleaning scam!!!

paps

• 11 months later...
Warning: Sounds like Steve's back. Someone of that name called round off Townley Rd this morning saying that Tony was sick and he's covering for him. May be genuine of course, but I just called Tony and he says he's fine and up a ladder in West Dulwich.

Just to add that Steve called at our house on Lordship Lane this morning and my stepmother parted with ?20 while I was out. Tony Dowsett does actually clean our windows, so I called him when I came home and no, it wasn't him. He is aware of the scam and is furious.

Tony told me that another of his clients on Beauval Road was done on Tuesday and they drove round for an hour trying to find him, without success.

He is going to contact the police and suggests that anyone else robbed in this manner does the same. I would seem this has been going on for over a year now, about time the police tried do something about it.

• 5 months later...
This guy is back. Scammed my wife in Peckham on Monday for ?10. Totally matches description in appearance and what he says. Worryingly he cane back last night, at 5. She had read this, and spoke to him from an upstairs window. He sensed her very different mood, and made off for Rye Lane - apparently talking into his phone. We told the police, but despite having shown them this thread, and the threads it links to, they maintained no crime had been committed.

• 10 months later...
I am writing this feeling very embarrassed and angry as I think I have been scammed by the same chap; well and truly! A stocky chap , 45 - 50, short hair, blue sweat shirt , jeans , trainers. He offered to do windows. claimed to be part of ECLIPSE cleaners working in area. Said his name was Jez. Paid him up front to do windows AND clean guttering to the tune of ?40. I have reported it to local crime officer. Chap is meant to be coming back at 4pm today. some hope. Just letting you know so be warned and don't be as daft as me!! I have no excuse for being so trusting.

Unsurprisingly he did not show up. Nor do I expect him ever to darken my doorstep unless it is to break in one night - I even showed him how the window cleaners could get in unassisted into the back garden !! (I must have been in la-la land yesterday) The cheeky s*d even gave me his mobile number (07951900809 ) which I phoned there and then to check it was valid. Since then I googled the number and it came up on a website called " WHOCALLSME" http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/07951900809 and it showed tha this chap has been quite active in South ast London

But the local police have been very helpful and did not laugh too much. And I have put in extra security.

The police did say that more people should come forward and tell them if they have a similar experience and not to feel embarrassed - it happens to the best of us! (I am going to put up one of those signs my parents have " No hawkers, circulars, callers, etc.... etc...... because a gullible fool lives here!! )

Hi All

My name is Tony Dowsett I have cleaned windows in south London for the last 27 years and have never conned or scammed any one

07850050858 plz help me get this guy its bad for business>:D<