White squirrel (photos)

Maple

We?ve got an albino squirrel visiting our garden near the junction of East Dulwich Grove and Dulwich Village. At first I thought it was the rarer black eyed leucistic variety but no, this one definitely has red eyes.

I remember seeing one in Ruskin Park on a few occasions more than 20 years ago but never before around here.

Where I worked in Love Walk Camberwell, our offices were built around a large garden and for several years we had a white squirrel living there. we named him Albie and colleagues regularly put out nuts etc for him as the other squirrels used to bully him. We hoped he/she would find a partner and were delighted when we saw him/her running and playing with another squirrel. He disappeared for some time, and we looked in the gardens of D' Crespigney Road in case he had moved 'house'.

• 2 weeks later...

Photos and report of the white squirrel of Dulwich in the newspapers today.

I remember seeing one regularly near the duck pond in Ruskin Park over 16 years ago. Was on the way to the one o'clock club (now Ruskin one o'clock club sadly closed) but he/she was a character then!