RE:parking on Melbourne grove....is it free??

Totally agree with bmu. Living at Melbourne/Ashbourne corner, NEVER in 8 years had to search for parking space for more than a minute or two, and never had to park more than 300 yards away. Normally able to park right outside.

So those residents saying they can't find spaces should check out this section of the road.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, we're also Melbourne/Ashbourne corner and don't have too much trouble, we can usually find a space just round the corner, although it is a luxury to park outside our house most of the time these days. I'd say the biggest problem though is inconsiderate parking, so many times we've watched people park in the middle of a 2-car sized space, and then leave it there for the day or several days, a small call out to the people of ED, if everyone could just give a little consideration to this when they park it may free up a space here of there for some lucky person one day!

You don't need to have a space right outside your house. I'm more than happy to park up the road when necessary. I think it's a small price to pay to avoid the introduction of parking permits etc..We must keep pressure on to avoid the money-making permit game.

Maybe derwent, Elsie and the bottom of Melbourne Grove should be made into permit areas as there seems to be no problems elsewhere apart from on these roads. However those on Ashbourne may object when there is a sudden drop in the number of parking spaces.

Well if they do then they can phone up the council and beg for a parking permit in their road.... before we know it we will all be permit parking, everyone will be abe to park outside their own houses and trade will not be affected in the slightest.

Come on Southwark, lets get the white paint and permit parking signs out.

Have lived on the north side (station end) of Melbourne Grove for 14 years and over that time, the parking situation has definitely got worse. Trying to unload a car full of shopping or small people or sometimes both can be a nightmare. Would have no hesitation in paying to park outside my house - bring it on. Agree with other posters that perhaps any controlled parking 12 - 2pm etc might be better located on our road we well as Derwent and Elsie. Then see how the posh end of Melbourne react when all their spaces start disappearing.....!!

apmuso Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have lived on the north side (station end) of

> Melbourne Grove for 14 years and over that time,

> the parking situation has definitely got worse.

How do you know that that's due to increased numbers of commuters parking rather than to more people on your road owning cars, for instance? I only hope the consultation will include a proper survey of actually how many commuter cars there usually are in the area close to the station.

Getting hundreds of households to fork out thousands of pounds just to park their cars (and pass on the parking 'congestion' to roads next to the charging zone) is inconceivable without proper evidence. Simply basing it on people who decided to live near a station saying "I want to park outside my house" really isn't enough...

BrandNewGuy - at the weekend the problem goes away. Simple as. And a 12-2 controlled parking system doesn't disadvantage anyone other than those who leave their cars at 8am and don't collect them until 6pm. I for one will actively help promote such a scheme. I'm so bored of the hassle.

Clutching at straws mate. Really. Unless you've lived at this end of MG as long as we have and experienced first hand the nightmare that is parking outside or anywhere near your own house, you've got no right to have a go. Why should local residents be denied that right because of the actions of non-locals? Pretty much guarantee there would be a majority more than happy to pay for that very basic right.

apmuso Wrote:

> Clutching at straws mate. Really. Unless you've

> lived at this end of MG as long as we have and

> experienced first hand the nightmare that is

> parking outside or anywhere near your own house,

> you've got no right to have a go. Why should local

> residents be denied that right because of the

> actions of non-locals? Pretty much guarantee there

> would be a majority more than happy to pay for

> that very basic right.

Well said Apmuso!

apmuso Wrote:

> Clutching at straws mate. Really. Unless you've

> lived at this end of MG as long as we have and

> experienced first hand the nightmare that is

> parking outside or anywhere near your own house,

> you've got no right to have a go. Why should local

> residents be denied that right because of the

> actions of non-locals? Pretty much guarantee there

> would be a majority more than happy to pay for

> that very basic right.

Our road is emptier at the weekends and we're not near the station. Why is that?

And I'm not having a go. As we probably live outside any proposed charging zone (which is what it should be called) but still near to it, it might well have an an impact, so we deserve to have a say in the argument.

If you want evidence of the commuter parking situation just check out melbourne grove at 5pm, go for a pint and then pop back at 6. You'll think you've got the wrong street.

Tide of opinion is turning, parking restrictions are coming hoorah......

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> ... or maybe, at the weekends, residents go away

> or are more likely to be out and about in

> sufficient numbers to allow for you to find a

> space or two.

>

> And, perhaps more harshly, why should others pay

> because you're "bored of the hassAle"?

Driving around the block for 5 -10 min with screaming baby, waiting in for days on end for a plumber who then bogs off as he can't park. So glad we moved.

I don't live particulary near a station, but I do live near a family pub and a large park. Often (particulary on sunny weekends) I have to park away from my house because others have parked outside or near to my house. I wonder whether I should petition for a residents only parking scheme on and around "my" road...8am to 6pm on weekends should suffice to force users of said pub and park to use public transport or walk....

On a serious note, residents of Melbourne Grove should be careful what they wish for. They will pay for the scheme, additional permits for skips, contractors, nannys etc. Those with more than one car may also be suprised when they don't get x2 permits. Then there is also the issue of "permit creep" to other roads and expansion of the scheme generally. Even with the scheme, I think residents are barking if they think it will automatically mean they will always be able to park outside their house.

Whilst I appreciate not being able to park directly outside your house is annoying, you must have realised that living/buying near a station could make parking a tad tricky (but the location has other advantages). It's a bit like buying a house on a busy road, deciding you don't like the busy road and then demanding traffic calming to make the road less busy.

.. and if it is the problem you describe, can you be sure that you won't simply be moving it on to other residents who are just outside the zone? The oft-mentioned Herne Hill scheme might not be the wonderful solution some claim - you might want to read this and this about the cost and the prospect of "mission creep"...

"residents of Melbourne Grove should be careful what they wish for. They will pay for the scheme, additional permits for skips, contractors, nannys etc"

extra permits for skips and nannys - you are joking, that is Outrageous...

No no, my mistake, that is perfectly acceptable

Next pointless agrument for the "against" side?

you don't hand on heart honestly believe that the majority of people who have gone through the "no permit to permit" transition wish they could go back do you?

Having lived in one before i accept that when guests come to stay etc it is all a bit of a hassle but i think when it comes to the survey in autumn the majority will be willing to accept that as part of the deal

garnwba

The point being made is that is that these schemes do not always necessarily make life easier and can be inequitable. Do you get x2 permits per house. What about flats in houses? What if you have x2 permits and then need a skip for 2 months while your full dormer loft extension is done? Guaranteed that some marked places will be taken up with disabled and car club bays too (the council love an excuse to put these in).

Also if I lived near to Melbourne Groves and was not part of the parking zone i'd get pretty annoyed if people in the zone (or who used to park in the zone) parked on my road - infact i'd want my own zone to keep them out. Slippery slope.

Many moons ago I lived in Fulham where controlled parking zones are par for the course. As everywhere had them they were zoned. I lived in a particularly popular zone but was frequently unable to park in other (less busy) zones - a complete nightmare! In the end it clearly had less to do with providing parking for residents and more to do with

generating an additional tax on all those with cars.

Would not be suprised if the Council pushed this - it could turn out to be a very nice earner for them at ?150 a permit and the best thing is that they will be able to say the residents of ED "asked for it".

If there is to be a consultation then the views of residents of neighbouring roads (not in the proposed zone) should be taken account of.

I believe there will still be a majority against if any consulation takes place, and of course it affects neighbouring roads.

I can't believe the small-minded selfishness of some on here saying that if they were to get a CPZ in their road, then the problem would be pushed to the neighbouring roads and implying that's somehow a good thing. Several people have pointed out that there is ALWAYS parking on neighbouring roads when you can't park directly outside your own house, and there certainly is on Melbourne Grove, were you to cross Grove Vale. When living near a station or the like, parking directly outside your house is certainly not some kind of basic "right". Can't quite fathom the mentality of anyone who thinks it could be - seems they live in a dream world, and haven't cottoned onto the essential compromises of urban living.

Having a CPZ does NOT help you with parking space, it actually REDUCES available parking as the road gets marked out by the Council. Coupled with all the costs (not everyone is made of money round here), anxieties and hassles, it really is a no go.

Those who have lived in ED for any length of time seem to manage fine- let's not turn ED into Fulham etc.. The fact is everyone can park, sometimes it just takes longer. I also think that the majority will be firmly against. As I said earlier, I have not come across a long-term resident of ED that would support it. I really do believe it would be the thin end. Once a cash strapped council gets its mitts on parking control they'll squeeze you dry.