Gambados - never again!

Went to gambados beckenham as a special treat today, having avoided it for a while because it can be such a hellish experience with delays getting in and such long queues for drinks

But I thought I would ?see if things had proved.

Sadly not. It took 20 mins to get in, we came in at 16.20 and I went to get a coff

It took till 16.36 to be served and even then, after I had paid, there was a further wait for our drinks to be made. They arrived at 16.45

It had taken 25 mins! I saw the duty manager but he pretty much shrugged his shoulders, didn't even apologise

I find the whole experience so dispiriting

We once had an annual membership but I kdidn't renew because this experience is all too common

And the icing on the cake was that despite repeated calls on the tannoy, no staff member came to

open the carousel

I had promised the twins a ride on it and they were very disappointed

Anyway I have made a complaint

It will be interesting to see if they actually respond

I went last week and had a pretty similar experience. Only one person admitting us despite a massive queue.

One person serving coffees and a loooong wait. Work experience youths just lounging behind the till who were not allowed to even put a croissant on a plate because of 'health and safety'.

The manager was so drippy and useless and offered no apologies except apparently they hadn't realised it was an Inset day and didn't have enough staff.

It was shoddy service which is inexcusable considering the high charge for admittance and for the refreshments.

Think we should write to HQ to complain.

Anyone else got any views, good or bad?

I do think they have a bit of a cheek charging as much as they do, yet having such poor customer service.

I notice they are currently closing early due to reduced take up, you have to wonder if they will be able to keep going without going belly up if their reputation continues to deteriorate.

Haven't been for a while (we tend to think of it as a winter place), but my boy loves Gambado with a passion and always has a wonderful time. Have had to wait a few minutes to get a coffee occasionally, but that's not exactly the point of the place... otherwise I'd recommend the Blue Brick for a cracking coffee! The play facilities are good, safe, clean and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

Not sure what you expect. It is a large warehouse for kids in South London, are you expecting to get five-star treatment? My advice would be to do as I do: be near the front of the queue when it opens, let your kid have a good time and then get out before the great unwashed arrive. Bit unfair to expect much from the staff, if they speak English nowadays, it's a bonus. You could try the one in Kensington but it's not much better.

MitchK Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not sure what you expect. It is a large warehouse

> for kids in South London, are you expecting to get

> five-star treatment?

No but I expect the facilities to be actually available while we're there.. not to have the carousel open is hugely disappointing for the children. And it shouldn't take 25 mins to get a coffee (that costs ?2.50)

These places cost an arm and a leg, i don't see why they should expect us to put up with really poor service! Do people really think it's OK?

Theydo seem to be bad at food, which is so silly as they could make a fortune at it.margins on coffee are immense.

But the worst aspect of your trip, Fuschia, is the carousel. They are in the business of providing children's entertainment so it is not unreasonable to expect some level of understanding of children. You don't disappoint children if you can avoid it. (time enough when they are grown up to be disappointed by mortgages, men, life!)

I have never been, wanted to have a birthday party for my daughter there but was around the time I gave birth and my cousin who has been to the Chelsea one, said it's just not worth the money! The lady told me at the time to avoid weekends as they get very busy but you can't avoid weekends if you are inviting many people to your party...

the idea is nice I guess, but improvements are def needed

"I have never been... but improvements are def needed"

It's hard to think well of a place if you've heard negative reports, but I do think it's worth a try before you dcide against it. We always have a lovely time. It is a good idea to go early to avoid the crowds and queues. The end of the afternoon is of course always very busy.

We've been members of Gambado for about 6 months, and I agree that the service leaves alot to be desired. We do get there literally 10 mins before opening though in order to avoid queues and so have never experienced mega delays.

We went on holiday last month to the Cotswolds/Oxfordshire area and due to rain almost every day, visited the local Gambado type offerings in the surrounding counties and in Reading (think we went to 4 in total). Let me reassure you that in comparison to these places, Gambado is like a palace!! The ones we went to were absolutely filthy, same problems with poor staff etc, little supervision around play zones that are for toddlers only (my son had a horrible encounter with an 8 year old boy and had to have an accident form filled in by the manager). After that holiday I realised Gambados is probably the best provider for this type of facility, especially in the hygiene stakes which I think is pretty important.

Unfortunately I think with all these places they have their customers over a barrel a bit - parents need a place to take kids on a rainy day and so pay over the odds. Don't think they ever think about service because they don't have to - but if people complain then I guess they'll take it more seriously (you'd hope!)

Hi ! Everyone

Last time I was there the service was great, and as well my sister been there many times with her husband,she said is a place to comeback as many times as you like becouse everyone there make you fell good and welcome. If you are thinking in going today PM me. I can asked her to make the reservations for you as she is well known there.

Hopefully you will be less dissapointed than your previous experience. I was sorry to hear that as you will always aspect a good service for the price you pay.

Hi ! Everyone

Last time I was there the service was great, and as well my sister been there many times with her husband,she said is a place to comeback as many times as you like becouse everyone there make you fell good and welcome. If you are thinking in going today PM me. I can asked her to make the reservations for you as she is well known there.

Hopefully you will be less dissapointed than your previous experience. I was sorry to hear that as you will always aspect a good service for the price you pay.

Hi everyone

I have to agree with Fuschia. I have been to Gambado (too) many times over the past few years, and now just wouldn't go back. The customer service is appalling, the food is terrible and overpriced and the kids' party food in particular is disgusting. The one in Chelsea is equally bad in my opinion.

The food etc may not be the main point, but my objection is that Gambado seem to think they have parents over a barrel and have no respect for their customers, who are paying a small fortune to be there. The difficulty is of course that young children love it!

It's a real shame that there's no competition in the area, as this might lead to improvements. I looked into starting up a soft play type facility at one time, and would still like to do it, but it's difficult to find the right premises and the set up costs are prohibitive.

actually i have to add I can't believe there is no large soft play centre in the area as big as Gambado - the market for it would be huge especially around here (am discounting Peckham Pulse as its not purpose built for just that).

I actually don't like going to Gambado because its nearly a half hour drive and I keep thinking if I were a big shot developer I'd build something similar in the Dulwich area - but alas I'm not!

can i plug rascals softplay at bellingham leisure centre. Ok, no carousel, but still pretty big, with a football area and other nice bits. Its clean, has lovely staff and not too expensive! Kids always have a lot of fun. Good chips too.

After some chasing i got a response to half of my complaint - the manager says she spoke to the duty manager says he came to the bar area and checked my receipt and it was ' just 2 mins' since i paid for the drinks order.

Err... Hello!

Is that even remotely likely? Even if I had been cross the very second i placed the order, 2 mins is hardly long enough for me to complain to thd cashier, complain to thd duty manager and have him 'come to the bar'

Oh that he had actually done more than just stand by the coffee machine looking bored!

What I particularly like about this little incident is how gambado clearly believe that their customers ate stupid enough to put up with anything, bit 'the customer always lies' into the bargain!

I mean, usually if somebody goes to the bother of making a complaint, the respondent will say something like 'I am sorry you didn't enjoy your visit' ...

Hah! Finally I think they have seen a bit of sense and apologised.

Why would I go to the bother of mailing a complaint if I hadn't actually had to wait for the bloody coffee as I said?!

The manager says staff will receive customer training.

I am still left wondering at their customer service and complaints procedures, though. It is very odd that the manager had to be prompted before she realised an apology might be a good place to start.

Staggeringly poor customer service from the manager.

I sometimes think that a business can have an "off day" but that the test of it is really how they subsequently deal with any complaints. Dulwich Asquith nursery is a case in point. Lied to me several times and when I complained to the manager, she was so rude and had such a dismissive attitude to us, only the poor sap parents, that all bets were off at that point....

So, the question is: will you return, Fuschia?!