24 hours in A&E, Kings College Hospital

randombloke

Just sat watching this and thinking, damn, we are lucky to have such a good hospital locally.

I spent 10 years selling high value medical devices so I know hospitals, nurses , consultants and theatres.

I've recently had to go to A&E at Kings for a fractured scaphoid and they have been fantastic. Seen quickly, dealt with efficiently and politely. 90 mins in Cas on a Saturday, in to see the Orthopaedic Consultant at fracture clinic the Monday afterwards, 7 x rays, sent for an MRI the following Thursday and follow up next week. That's as fast as BUPA. To the guy with the hurty knee on the TV now, whingeing to anyone who can listen, man up and grow a pair. A broken heart? you prat, the guy next door has an aortic aneurism, that really is a broken heart and you have a bit of an ache in your leg you tosser.

We might malign the NHS but they are as good as it gets at Kings. So, peeps big them up, they deserve it.

Was also in Kings a couple of weeks ago with a suspected broken scaphoid... (and have subsequently spotted the nurse who helped me on the telly). Couldn't agree more - they were extremely helpful, in the face of having to deal with idiots.

Only bad thing I can see is money grabbing parking fees by the council. Was running late, so had to put the car on the road, and ended up spending ?12 on parking!

This series has been a heart breaker and a heart lifter: tragedies, triumphs and comedy all underpinned by fantastic music.

I just visited a hospital in Ethiopia and there were no pissed up bone heads swearing at the staff there, just seriously sick and grateful people in dreadful circumstances.

I have loved every episode shown so far. I have been in kings A and E several times due to heart problems. Every single experience there has been amazing. All of the nurses treat you with dedication and care. I cannot fault them in anyway and i must say i have been shocked by the language and behaviour from some people that they have to endure.I have total respect for these hardworking docs and nurses and without them may not be here today. Big up to all of them. Xxx

I've been to Kings too, both on NHS and privately, and the care and attention was excellent. I've only once had to go to A&E and the people I saw, whom the staff had to deal with, was horrible. Some were so rude etc., one even turning on me, as I was sitting there quietly waiting to be seen. There was a mix up with me that time, so I ended up in A&E for 9 hours, once the staff realised the mixup, they were fantastic about it, I wasn't even annoyed (just because I could see the rude people they had to deal with and how busy they had been), but they bent over backwards to help me. I had to remain in outpatient treatment almost daily for the next 6 months, and there is not one fault I could try to nit pick with that hospital.

I'm glad the show is on, its really good. I hope it shows to all the good work they do, despite what they face and can encounter.

I've lived all round the country and over two years ago I had call to use Kings A&E, their diagnosis was totally incorrect and the treatment I received after was second rate. Never have i encountered such incompetence in a hospital. However the staff in A&E are nice, it's just the hospital trust or maybe NHS services that are inept, and twi years later I'm still experiencing it.

theboond, After your bad experience and being an intelligent caring sort of person who would want to encourage things to get better, what did they say when you complained to the PALS (Patient and Liaison Service?)

And please please please would everyone who ever goes to Kings consider becoming a Member of the Foundation Trust?You get to have a say in what happens and you get to go to meetings to learn about the different aspects of the hospital. I just went to one two weeks ago about the Medical Assessment Units.

thebond Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've lived all round the country and over two

> years ago I had call to use Kings A&E, their

> diagnosis was totally incorrect and the treatment

> I received after was second rate. Never have i

> encountered such incompetence in a hospital.

> However the staff in A&E are nice, it's just the

> hospital trust or maybe NHS services that are

> inept, and twi years later I'm still experiencing

> it.