Should ED make a stand and boycott News Corporations NOTW

georgegarrett

I'm not sure people (the public, advertisers, other papers) are as qorked up about "legality2 as they are by a more general sense of disgust at the moment. When the illegal activity seemed to be confined to celebs a few years ago no-one gave two hoots really

And how often your illegal activity is indulged in plays a pretty large part in how the authorities view the crime - if you sell drugs once you won't be even on the radar if you hand yourself in. If you have been doing it for years and have corrupted much of the people and infrastructure around you... that's different

A little aside,

How come phones are manufactured so vulnerable..... sue the phone makers/providers for failing to protect the privacy of of their customers. If the phones themselves are so easy to listen into this will never stop.

Paphio - it is not phones per se that are/were hacked. It is voicemail.

On Orange for eg you could access your voicemail from any other phoneline by dialling a central number, entering your mobile and then a PIN.

Tabloids discovered it was pretty easy to enter the mobile number of their target (easily obtained) and then using the default PIN that people rarely bothered changing i.e. 1234 or 0000. You could then listed to their voicemail messages. And in the case of Milly Dowler, delete them.

I'd call that perverting the course of justice and a jail-able offence. If Coulson/Brookes were in the know they are guilty of conspiring with another to pervert the course of justice. That carries a jail term of life imprisonment as a maximum sentence. Books should be thrown.

pashio,

As far as I understand it is down to general technological thickness by the people 'hacked'. Phones generally come with a default voicemail PIN. People don't bother changing it. The bad people then rang the mobile, went through to voicemail and then typed in the PIN. It wasn't rocket science.

Hacking is sort of the wrong word, really.

In all seriousness, that is,from a Murdoch pov, quite a shock. He is obviously trying to stop contamination spreading and hopes such drastic action will do just that ? but compared to his normal tactics, it makes him look weak

Not over yet?

Question Time tonight should be a humdinger

taper Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Say hello to the Sunday Sun. Plus ca change.

Yep, that's immediately what I thought would be the next move. I mean, NOTW was always just the Sunday Sun anyway.

Until the focus moves to the Sun...

Not really a mea culpa. I think the campaign to strip it of all advertising was rather successful and Murdoch could see that he had a large loss-making title on his hands. Kill it off and relaunch as the Sunday Sun.

Most of the journos and little guys will probably just transfer over. The ed will be paid off.