Beware! Tea towel sellers in Ulverscroft Road area now .....

Sue

They have just been on derwent grove and after I politely declined he called me a 'cxxt' over his shoulder - I foolishly shouted after him that it was completely unnecessary to be so rude. Just hoping I don't get a brick through my window now. Actually quite shaken up as on my own tonight. I have bought things in the past so all the more annoying to be abused..

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > Yep, now on Bellenden Road!

>

> Looks as if it might be a pincer movement. I hope

> they pack up for the night soon. I'm running out

> of coloured pins to go on the wall chart.

:))

ETA They seem to be working extremely late, surely people don't buy crap tea towels from strangers coming to their door at nearly 10pm??

They were on my road at 9.40pm. I'm fed up of them knocking so late, then being rude when you politely turn down their offer to buy ridiculously overpriced poor quality tea towels. I've complained to the Dulwich Community officers previously when after 10pm, but not sure if they can really do anything.

I think they are ex-offenders, so it's very commendable that they try their hands at something productive like door-to-door selling. But that doesn't excuse rude or, in another case I know of, homophobic language. Hate to tar them all with the same brush, of course. Especially if it's one of the pants brushes they sell...

Came to me Yesterday.. Told him I was unemployed myself, which I am, and he said 'Sorry Mate' and left.

He was very polite.

All their pagages look identical so are probably made on mass by some Fagin Character.

I have bought some dusters in the past and they were rubbish low quality tat.

Fox

You are all brandishing your double edged sword today aren't you. Complain that the unemployed are living on your taxes, while at the same time branding people who actively try to find work as cunning, rude, rip off merchants. It's idiots like you lot that give Dulwich is smarmy, self important stereotype that the surrounding boroughs talk about.

sambless - not for he/she a double edged sword, just the Sword of Truth!

It is a pretty curtain-twitchy thread tho', and not really ED specific. Every place I've lived (rural/urban) has tea towel sellers knocking on doors. I don't think most sentient beings need a warning about them

There have been lots of threads on this in the past - these sellers are often run by gang-masters who set up a van somewhere and send them out to hit a neighbourhood. They are not part of some social rehabilitation project - although they are probably otherwise unemployed. The quality is poor because it is a con, and the sellers get to see very little of what they 'earn'.

sambless - you may well have a point, in general.

However, in this instance, with these particular sellers, I agree with the tone of the thread, these guys were basically draipsing the area and trying to intimidate folks into parting with their money, slightly above doorstep mugging IMO.

They have no concept of trying to deliver a service and were extremely heavy handed. I decided not to answer the door having heard the commotion and insults laid on my neighbour who declined a pack of overpriced badly made teatowels thrust in her face by an arrogant twat. Menacing locals is what was happening last night and the people on this thread witnessed it.

I've had those guys at the door 3 times over the past couple of years or so. Never had a problem with rudeness but maybe I was just lucky with the guys who came round to me, or maybe it was a bit earlier in the evening and they were better humoured. Sorry to hear all your experiences of the opposite.

• 3 weeks later...

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> sambless - not for he/she a double edged sword,

> just the Sword of Truth!

>

> It is a pretty curtain-twitchy thread tho', and

> not really ED specific. Every place I've lived

> (rural/urban) has tea towel sellers knocking on

> doors. I don't think most sentient beings need a

> warning about them

Well called. This sort of stuff makes us look like the bed-wetting parochials certain non ED types consider us to be.