Opening a Tattoo Shop in ED

Would this 'parlour' be as irremovable, once open, as the tattoos themselves? Could you not turn your obvious talent to opening an art shop and giving lessons to aspiring artists such as myself? My daughter is desperate for a second tattoo and placates me by saying that 'it's ok because no-one will be able to see it!'... what, I ask, is the point?

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I dunno, the bottom line for me is that I've never

> seeb a tattoo that's that great....you know,

> thet'd be ok if someone sKetched it on a bit of

> paper and I looked at it for, oooh, maybe 30

> seconds, but some Celtic Rhun shit on my back or

> round my ankle FOR EVER, behave.

I feel the same. If I think about how my tastes have changed over the years I just know if I had a tattoo done 20 years ago I'd almost certainly hate it by now. And when I'm 70 and my skins gone a bit dry and saggy I reckon I would only hate it more. Perhaps others are a bit more constant in their loves, but I'd rather keep my artwork on my wall than on my body and be able to change it round as time goes by.

Having said that, I've no objection to there being a tattoo shop in the area, though I would hope that they are responsible and don't let people make daft choices like having them done when they are clearly drunk and will wake up the next day and regret it.

Most tattooists won't tattoo you if you've been drinking. Apart from wanting to be responsible, they don't like it because you bleed more and you can't stay still as well when you are drunk so it's much more difficult!

This opened a can of worms! I have had my newest tattoo done in the last 6 months. No none of you will see it whilst I am pulling my trendy shopping trolly down Lordship Lane. I am in my late (very Late) 30's and have lived in Dulwich for over 10 years. I had mine done to remind me of the most important people in my life and yes I have the memories that will never fade but I had this done for me.

My Husband is not a fan of tattoo's.

I think that you should go for it and open up your new venture. you never know until you try and good for you wanting to do something for yourself! Working for yourself is very hard work but a great achievement

Reading some of the posts on this page has made me ashamed. We are not all judgmental bigots in the area!

I think it would make an interesting shop to have in the area, also I think it may bring people into the area who would not normally come here, which is a good thing for others trading here. I do not think I would ever use your shop myself though.

Wishing you all the best with your adventure!

I can get the appeal of a tattoo when you are young. There is something rebellious about a tattoo don?t you think? The fact that some people dislike them, that they mark you apart somehow. Getting one when you?re older though - it just seems a bit try hard to me. As with any overt fashion statement born from a desire to be cool / rebellious there is something implicitly adolescent and incoherent in the message ? ?look at me, I don?t care what you think... but do look at me?. That?s forgivable in the young, but a bit sad when you?re a 40 year old. Sure, a middle aged man with green hair and a goatee could be a really fun and interesting character, but I bet it?s more likely that they?re just a bit of a dick.

Having said this however, there is something in the argument that the old perceptions of tattoos are out of date. They?ve become so ubiquitous as to be barely remarkable, certainly no longer very dangerous or rebellious. Personally I think this may be the worst thing about them for me. They?ve lost any power they may have once claimed.

Tattoos are ?trendy?, merely another adjunct to the ultimately vacuous world of fashion. Just more ?stuff? that?s been coopted into the mainstream, sanitised and repackaged for a mass market (with Robbie Williams and David Beckham as sponsors). The fact that people have already been discussing it?s monetary value, how this may be what gives (or takes away) from it?s meaning, says a lot.

Consumerism :(

So should every one 40 plus be stereo typical and follow every one else in dress sense and behaviour? A person 40+ who may wish to differ from the norm is a "Dick" I take it you have met lots of people who differ in there appearance to have come up with that analysis.

I think that someone who appears to be trying a little too hard to be alternative may in fact be just that -trying too hard. It's not necessarily the case, as I already said- but by the time you get to middle age, most people have realised that it's not as important to scream your specialness, your unique quirkiness as maybe they thought in their youth.

• 2 weeks later...