Norway.

sophiechristophy

Just wanted to put a note to say how horrified I am by what has happened in Norway. I spent 3 years as girlfriend to a Norwegian, and lived in Oslo for a while and attended the University of Oslo, and can say that Norway is the most beautiful, peaceful and safe feeling place. It is such a terrible thing to have happened, and to children, I can't believe it. My thoughts go out to everyone affected. S x

Just too awful to comprehend. What did he hope to achieve by massacring all those children.

They arrested a man who they believe was also involved in the car bomb. He was wearing a Police Uniform apparently too (but there's no news on whether he was a Police Officer or not). It's all a bit vague atm.

Sad news about Amy Winehouse but surely her death pales into insignificance compared to Norway, yet LBC has been all about Ms Winehouse. Her early but self inflicted demise doesn?t compare and once again mass hysteria, outpourings of grief from people who never met her; it?s like Diana all over but on a smaller scale.

Strafer made the good point in the Amy Winehouse thread, that perhaps it's easier to comment on something like her death than something like this, because this is just too big to get your head around.

My wife told me about this yesterday when I woke up, just as facts were still coming through. I hold my hands up, and admit that my first thought was that it must be some sort of Al Qaeda attack. In a very odd way, I was pleased it was a Christian nutter, as it will mean less hate and vitriol aimed at your average Muslim in the street, by dickheads.

Regarding the victims, I don't really have the words to express anything. Just so so senseless and sad!

The guy seems to be getting a lot of airtime as well which he must be loving. He's promising to tell his reasons tomorrow? I can't get my head around this - it's one of those stories where it seems too early to do anything but wonder how the families of victims are feeling

Then again you read headlines in the

Mail

And wonder if "irony" has been redefined whilst you slept

There might be some papers who can have "Burning with hatred... The right-wing extremist who hated immigrants and multi-culturalism" as a headline, but I'm not sure the Mail is one of them

Chick Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sad news about Amy Winehouse but surely her death

> pales into insignificance compared to Norway, yet

> LBC has been all about Ms Winehouse. Her early

> but self inflicted demise doesn?t compare and once

> again mass hysteria, outpourings of grief from

> people who never met her; it?s like Diana all over

> but on a smaller scale.

The two subjects are entirely unrelated so this comparison isn't helpful.

Nonsense.

Whilst I agreed with Strafer that perhaps it's easier to comment on something like her death

than something like this, I still think it's weird how the coverage and comments have been divided between the two.

Me too Otta and what Rosie said on the other thread resonated with me. Of course no-one wishes to hear about anyone's death. But 85 young people being gunned down in cold blood is something that's so difficult to comprehend whilst sadly for Amy Winehouse, its not as difficult to understand given troubles with drugs and alcohol. That's not to say its any less sad and I feel for her family but people's differing reactions including all the coverage and status updates, texts etc feel at odds (to me anyway).

I don't think we are so much comparing the sad death of one person with the death of many so much as comparing the reactions to each by people who don't know either. If that makes sense.

zeban Wrote:

> It's all sad news, end of! jeez you people are

> making me so angry.

End of??* Okay everyone, Zeban has spoken. No need to have your own opinion or thoughts, eh? Sheesh.

Where did anyone say either news wasn't sad? (That's a rhetorical question btw).

* Edited to add: in the style of straferjack on the foie gras thread when dealing with those who serially miss the point.

I think comparisons are pointless too. Both are equally tragic, and both are different. Just coincidence that both occurred on the same day - which is why we are discusssing comparison. Personally I am shocked and saddened by one (Norway) and saddened but not suprised by the other (Amy). But my depth of sadness is equal for both. I think that is just being human.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> I think comparisons are pointless too. Both are

> equally tragic, and both are different. Just

> coincidence that both occurred on the same day -

> which is why we are discusssing comparison.

> Personally I am shocked and saddened by one

> (Norway) and saddened but not suprised by the

> other (Amy). But my depth of sadness is equal for

> both. I think that is just being human.

Well put DJKQ. There are some daft posts around here today.

Ottie, no-one is making the comparison of both events other than you... I haven't heard anyone say that Amy is equal to 100 unknown Norweigan innocents...

Can we just draw a line here and get back to paying respects to those poor people and their loved ones and all who have been affected, either directly or indirectly..

Let's keep this post for Norway and the other post for the other person..