Sling recommendation please

I already have 3 slings....but none of them are doing it for me for the 'carrying 5m old around the playground chasing toddler' situations. I have a Close sling - good when he was little but he's a bit big/heavy now and I don't find it the easiest thing to whip on and off and carry round. I have a babyhawk Oh Snap - but I tried it today and he's a bit small for it still, he can't see a thing and it's pretty bulky to cart around in the bottom of the buggy. I also have a babasling - and I'm thinking maybe something like this could be good? We basically traipse round following scooting/running toddler - and carrying the baby is getting harder plus it's not that easy to rescue big one from tricky situations or put him in a swing, etc. I think I need something where baby can see what's going on rather than be clamped to my chest - was looking at some of the ring slings maybe where baby essentially sits on your hip and then tied to you - but are these faffy?

Any recommendations ladies?

I found ring slings only really useful for short amounts of time. They are great with a toddler for the ease of getting them in and out, up and down. Over a longer time they really can ache your shoulders/back and not as good for your posture. Personally I have a napsack baby sling and it is supremely comfortable...though I wear the baby on my back. http://napsackbaby.com/ Really wide comfy straps and pretty easy to put on, or at least a smallish learning curve. Not as good for newborns, but great for older/bigger babies. Pricey, but worth it.

I would go for something that means you can wear him on your back. Millie was around 6 months old when I started using my Patapum, which was fantastic - really comfortable for me (despite being someone who's plagued with back/neck problems) and she loved being able to see what was going on around her. Ergo is very similar.

I have an Ergo and have just starting wearing Twosling on my back, although he's still light enough to carry on the front too. (He weighs about 8kg now.) I really like it, though it's only my second sling after the BabyBjorn which I didn't get on with.

Welcome to come and have a try if you like?

Thanks for ideas...

I've had an ergo in the past...similar to my babyhawk I suppose. Thing is I will literally just wear it at the playground/nursery run - we will get there in the phil and teds (and have to carry it in the rubbish basket) - I just can't see me wrestling 5m old onto my back at goose green whilst bigger one runs off to try and break his neck. So it's basically a carry aid rather than a proper transport solution...

Sorry maybe wasn't clear...

I love my beco gemini (thank you forever BST!) I've only used it on my front (and with bugglet a mighty 6.45kg at 10mths I'm possibly not giving as fair an assessment) but it can also be used on your back and on your hip - slumber roo (google them) were fab to hire from before buying.

Just out of interest, if carrying bubs on your back, what do you do bag wise?!

buggie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> Just out of interest, if carrying bubs on your

> back, what do you do bag wise?!

Yes, this is the main problem with slinging...all the bloody stuff that you have to carry with a baby, not to mention if you have 2 kids. With the 2 of them I tend to be slinging and also pushing a buggy with nothing but a bag in it! Or for shorter trips an over the shoulder bag.

A word to the wise.....slumberoo are selling off some of their ex-demo slings and very reasonable prices. I got an ex-hire Beco Gemini from them and will not be parted from it. You can find pictures and details on their facebook page, or if you phone them up I'm sure they would be able to talk you through what they have in stock. The main thing with the Beco in the front position (whether facing inwards or out) is that if they are long their legs can get in the way a bit - think baby sb is quite tall, no? But I still use it with the very long yaklet in that position while chasing my nephew hither and thither at playgroup / in the park etc. You're welcome to try mine out!

After trying quite a few slings I bought a Manduca and it's been great - really comfy to wear, baby is happy and more often than not drops off to sleep in it, and it is quick and easy to put on (which was very important to me). It's a bit more expensive than others on the market but I've been really happy using it (it adjusts easily too, so my husband can use it without too much faff).

Coolio guys - I have a soft structured carrier (the babyhawk) so a manduca etc are all fairly similar. I tried a ring sling on yesterday and think that or a pouch might work well - really just as something to pop baby in and out quick and give me at least 1 free arm to grab toddler.

I have a catbirdbaby Pikkolo and I really like it. It's soft but no faffy wrapping and baby can face out, which was crucial for me. I bought it with the extra hip support, which you do need once your baby weighs much, but I think it distributes the weight well. You would be welcome to borrow it for a bit.