Goggle box

mockney piers

Has anyone watched HBO's "The Leftovers"?

We're 3 or 4 episodes from the end, and I think it's both brilliant, and about the most bleak thing I've ever watched.

Rather than the usual apocolypse type thing where only a handful remain, this is about a strange event that takes 2% of the world's population away in the blink of an eye, and how those remaining deal with that. Anyway, I recommend it.

Although if the last 3 episodes turn out shit, I reserve the right to unrecommend.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Agree Jah. Excellent. war & peace promised more

> than it delivered but this was great. Hugh Lawrie

> superb as the baddy, genuinely menacing Bon homie.

> Will be watching.

You're right about War & Peace, though I did enjoy it, especially having read the book a few years back. Think I'm definitely going to enjoy The Night Manager far more though. Who'd ever thought Hugh Lawrie could ever play such nasty piece of work. I shall be glued to this one.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We enjoyed War & Peace, but the wife (who has read

> it) said they left way too much for the last

> episode.

So SHE'S the one.

The only show I am perversely glued to atm is Beowulf - pure WTF TV. Just when you think they can't make it any more ridiculous/absurd/f^cking-dreadful they spring another surprise.

Watching actors grit their teeth and try not to look appalled as the realisation of what they have done to their careers sinks in episode by episode is quite moving, "They told me it was going to be another Game of Thrones...!"

• 2 months later...

Flowers was hit and miss, moving and involving then clich?d and predictable; some characters too 2D to be real others painfully so (and a smattering of the, now not unexpected, surreal characters like those in Toast-of-London - I thought the neighbour WAS Ray bloody Purchase for a second).

I kept dithering over whether i really liked it or not right up until the end of the final episode. I just hope there'll be more of it so i can try and make a decision or at least have a longer dither.

Best tv for quite a while.