Goggle box

mockney piers

We're loving GoT in the Otta household. Mrs Otta thought she'd hate it (all the dragon stuff), but she's totally hooked, and it's going to be a long year waiting for Season 5.

I'm tempted to give the books a go, but have been told by a couple of people that they can be a bit of a chore, and not sure I can be arsed when I know roughly what's going to happen (at least for the first 3 books).

Sort of SPOILER ALERT

I thought The Hound deserved better from little miss psychopath. I'm struggling to really care about her story or her young brother's.

Think House of Cards is next for us.

Started Orange is the new black, but stalled. Then again, it took me about 3 tries to get through the very first episode of GoT, so should probably try to stick with it.

I remember people (SJ) saying The Wire was a slow starter, but I was hooked from the very start.

I didn't find the books a chore, though i have heard that Feast for Crows is a bit of a slog and perhaps explains why i haven't kicked it off.

I've only watched 1-2 of Battlestar Gallactica, but really liked it. La Piba has caught a few snippets, and acknowledged that it seemed intriguing, well written and probably worth watching, but when it comes to the crunch....spaceships.....can't get off the ground.

We delve in and out of Breaking Bad, we're half way through 3; I do think it's excellent, but I hit my limits within two or three episodes and need a week or two break, so progress is slow.

We've really been enjoying Fargo though!

Orange is the New Black is terrific stuff - and with a great role for S2 Wire's junior Sabotka as well

"MrsDC loves it. I think it's squarely aimed at her demographic though. " - oy vey - shaky ground words right there ;-)

BB - that's some emperor's new cloths stuff right there. i doubt many people could stand to rewatch it

Any single episode of the Wire when rewatched reveals plenty of new angles

Mad Men is the other gold standard at the moment

GoT is on my todo list

But what was once a novelty (Very Good Telly) has now become a tsunami - there just isn't time to absorb them all

I probably will try the books at some stage, especially now there's such a wait for the next season.

I was thinking of revisiting Deadwood the other day, as I really really liked it, but I just don't want to be left feeling so unsatisfied at the sudden ending after season 3. Such a bloody shame that show stalled and they never got to make the two "films" (for TV) to tie a few things up.

deadwood series 1 and 2 stand up fantastically well - maybe even improve

I just let is finish there in my head - S3: it's bad enough we know it doesn't finish, but some of the plotlines don't work for me

I watched a film the other day called The Sessions - fairly minor if very good movie - and it's like a deadwood reunion. One character had me bamboozled for ages before I realised it was Calamity Jane

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> BB - that's some emperor's new cloths stuff right

> there. i doubt many people could stand to rewatch

> it

BB as in Breaking Bad? Are you joking??? I've watched it twice and LOVED it second time around. And can see myself watching it again one day. Genuinely think it's up there with anything you could mention.

Fair play. Like me and Dexter, so many people tell me it's genius but it just didn't do it for me.

But genuinely wnjoyed BB second time round and noticed lots od clever little things.

As for The Wire, I watched that twice but can't really imagine doing it again simply because all my favourite characters died and I really thought season 5 didn't live up to it's 4 predecessors (I loved season 4 possibly best).

I really wanted to find something wrong with Breaking Bad - just to be all different and controversial. But I couldn't. It was magnificent tv - with only comparatively small holes to be picked (occasional lull episodes).

60 hours is too long to watch again though, no matter how good it was.

Pibe: similar problems here RE other half and sci-fi / fantasy. It's a continual bugbear. I had to put my put down on GoT though. If it would only arrive..

*Bob* doesn't like The Bridge but would anyone else rave about any of the Nordic noir stuff? Or Bergen (nordic but not noir)?

The DC house loved The Returned so are not immune to overseas stuff with subtitles if it's really worth it.

Wondering what to move onto next for a box set.

In a more guilty-when-I'm-on-my-own-pleasue sort of way I've very much enjoyed Friday Night Lights and Justified (esp the theme tune).

david_carnell Wrote:

> *Bob* doesn't like The Bridge but would anyone

> else rave about any of the Nordic noir stuff? Or

> Bergen (nordic but not noir)?

I wouldn't say it was crap or 'didn't like' exactly. We watched more than half of it; it was ok, but it felt like law of diminishing returns each time - and we just couldn't be arsed with the rest of it.

Especially in light of the current outbreak of 'box set tv series mania' - with standards being very high, you feel cheated if it's not absolutely top-notch.

Still looking forward to X Factor though, obvs.

I want to watch some of the foreign stuff but I genuinely struggle keeping up with the subtitles due to my crap eyes, sonit becomes kess enjoyable. Main reason I've not finished Lilyhammer season 2. I could be wrong but it seems to have a lot more subtitles than the first series.

*bob* you're right about investing the time to repeat something. I got lucky with BB because I watched it on my own first then Mrs Otta decided she was interested after all so we watched it together. That was up to the final season which we watched for the firat time together as it came out.

Not really caught much nordic noir, does Let The Right One In count?

We did recently watch the Tunnel, the anglo-franch remake, which was excellent.

I imagine alot of the dano-swedish culture clash stuff would probably be lost on us, whereas the anglo-french worked well, helped by fantastic performances from the two leads.

I'd like to give more of the original stuff a go, but subtitles is another hurdle to overcome. Whilst not agasint it in principle, La Piba tends to go 'not tonight dear I'm too tired" *ahem* when the option arises, so to speak, more tea vicar?

El Pibe Wrote:

> Not really caught much nordic noir, does Let The

> Right One In count?

I was just about to mention that, but assumed it was excluded on a technicality. Really liked that film.

One problem with The Bridge was it attempting to stretch beyond its budgetary means. One too many scenes of 'trying to recreate an 'en-force rapid reaction sequence' with two extras and half a helicopter.

I was more thinking about trying the Killing, Borgen or Mammon.

And yes, LTROI is excellent but a film, not TV.

Am tempted by the Tunnel - or more accurately I'm tempted by anything with Clemence Posey in it. I once stood behind her in Victoria station at a ticket machine and got rather giddy.