Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I do

> think additional residential accommodation locally

> would be a good thing. I had not realised the Lib

> Dem position was so entrenched against increasing

> housing capacity in Southwark, but then , you

> lives and you learns.

It's fine to increase housing where there's room for it, but it should not be at the expense of services, retail space, open areas or the character of the area. Many of us choose to live round here because it is quieter and easier to move around than places like Brixton or Camberwell. Turning the area into a mass of housing will ruin that, not to mention the fact that we already have too few doctors for the population, meaning it takes ages to get an appointment.

but it should not be at the expense of services, retail space, open areas or the character of the area.

The proposal was for flats on top of retail space, not instead of. The existing building is not single story. The character of LL is mixed retail, business and residential, with restaurants and pubs. We need housing in London.

• 2 weeks later...
Tried attaching agent details - you can find them searching Jenkins Law, property search, Dulwich - advertised as a planning class A3 (catering) opportunity, subject to Southwark BC consent - asking rent ?125,000 per annum, exclusive of business rates and service-charge - too big a shop and rent for most local traders - might appeal to multiple fashion akin to White Stuff, Oliver Bonas etc - too small for small-format grocery brands (Tesco Metro, Sainsbury Central etc) and already covered by M&S, Co-op, Tesco Express etc - Londis and Budgens both operated formerly by Booker, bought-out by Tesco Q1 2017 - most demand likely from catering brands at this size, location and rent - some start-up potential but most likely established casual dining multiple operator akin to Honest Burger, Meat Liquor etcr. Do we, as local residents, need another chain restaurant? A moot point and sure to generate strong views but it is fair to say as typical high streets go across suburban London at this moment, LL is among the most affluent and vibrant. Which is best? - a thriving local economy bringing jobs and outside visitors, particularly in the evening, or the same old blend of betting shops, fried chicken outlets, estate agents, newsagents, hair salons etc?

Why would outside visitors want to come to ED? Transport isn?t great, and it?s too out of the way. People who want a go to destination experience go to Brixton, Clapham, even Peckham. Way better connected.

You also need to look at the demographic. The area had a resident population before the foodies arrived. Not everyone wants restaurants on the high street. A huge chunk of local residents want something useable. Yet another restaurant is not healthy.

Louisa.

I'm missing Londis it was a handy & friendly place, it was also great for hermes collection & drop off. I'm hoping it will be a similar kind of shop like a costcutter or 7/11 that will do the collection & drop off service.

The thing that makes me most sad about it going is that as the only 24hr shop it was great when working shifts and coming home it was the only place open. The rumour among the other off-licenses on LL seems to be that Nandos want the site.

There would be a positive correlation between increase in number of residents and increase in number of food outlets/ restaurants....I see there is going to be a M and S Simply Food opening up on the new development next to ED station as depicted on their hoarding.

Given that every house sized plot is being turned into umpteen rabbit hutches then this is to be expected.