Youth offenders unit moving to east dulwich rd

summer

This is due to take place in october. They will be taking over one of the council buildings apparently. I have been told by someone that is employed in that service. The service is for the really naughty kids (gang members) that have to report in daily. Does anyone else know about this? Does anyone have suggestions about stopping this from happening?

From Reading the forum in past few months I get the feeling that those who frequent the forum ( yes generalising before I start a rant) are of the left - however as soon as anything happens that may reduce house prices, you all get a bit NIMBY and DaIly Mail. Shame really ED is a nice place but some people make it so intolerent.

From a self confessing non recycling Tory (who although 'educated' can't spell - before you all start on that too)

Sazzle30 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> From Reading the forum in past few months I get

> the feeling that those who frequent the forum (

> yes generalising before I start a rant) are of the

> left - however as soon as anything happens that

> may reduce house prices, you all get a bit NIMBY

> and DaIly Mail. Shame really ED is a nice place

> but some people make it so intolerent.

> From a self confessing non recycling Tory (who

> although 'educated' can't spell - before you all

> start on that too)

Intolerant, not intolerent.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> There is absolutely no reason why this unit should

> not be relocated here. ED and it's surrounding

> areas have their own fair share of youth

> offenders.

Hear hear! Why NOT here?????

I don't think the unit should be so near a playground. I have young children and that's my number one concern that they can play safely along with other children. Why mention house prices? It's about safety for me particularly as I live opposite the place. Opposing gangs meeting in the same place - why would I like that on my doorstep.where else should they go? I don't know I just heard about it so i have not looked into it! Maybe if you don't mind invite them by your home.

Errr... Summer probably thinks of her children first with other people's children coming close second. That makes her a good parent. The tone of the responses here to someone who has legitimate concerns about her children's safety shows that it is next to impossible to have a constructive debate on this forum.

'they', I don't think they live opposite nor have small children. As a responsible parent are you suggesting I should have a different priority? Again for those of you that think it is a really good idea can you suggest anywhere closer to your home?

So - would it be OK if it was put next to a prison for example?? I understand someone's wishes to protect their children, but I suppose Southwark has limited building stock and can't afford to build something new for this. Does anyone have a definition of 'really naughty children' for this proposal or is this is bit of a generalisation?

And Yes, I have small children. And walk daily on my school run past a school for 'naughty' teenagers.

Maybe any response saying 'not here' could constructively suggest somewhere better it could be located.

"From Reading the forum in past few months I get the feeling that those who frequent the forum ( yes generalising before I start a rant) are of the left - however as soon as anything happens that may reduce house prices, you all get a bit NIMBY and DaIly Mail"

You would be better looking at a poster's individual history to see where their politics (if any) lays, rather than just generalising about the forum. From what I'm reading recently the forum seems full of right-wing nutters. No idea about Summer but when people just have a pop at the left it's a no win situation

"I'm left wing and I think the young offenders site is fine" - bloody lefties

"I'm left wing and I think the young offenders site is innapropriate" - bloody lefties worried about their house prices

Is there a position a lefty can take that won't see them beaten around the head with it?

Anyway, this lefty (with a kid) is minded to say young offender unit are better existing than not existing - otherwise what little engagement there is disappears and it's safe to assume we can expect more offending. So if they are better existing, East Dulwich Road is as good a spot as any

Summer do you have any understanding of what a youth offending centre is and how it works. It is NOT a meeting place for gangs. It is a place where offenders have to report to parole/ probation officers. Where things like community service are organised and other constructive measures to help young people from reoffending. If offenders don't turn up for their appointments they are in trouble with the courts. If offenders reoffend whilst on probation they are also in trouble with the courts. There really is no reason to be concerend by any aspect of the unit being in ED Road.....really there isn't.

Monkey Wrote:

> Errr... Summer probably thinks of her children

> first with other people's children coming close

> second. That makes her a good parent.

Maybe. It also, in this case, makes her a NIMBY.

> The tone of the responses here to someone who has legitimate

> concerns about her children's safety shows that it

> is next to impossible to have a constructive debate on this forum.

Rubbish. Had the debate been about Youth Offenders Units in general then would be a lot to debate about, but "I don't like this, so put it near someone - anyone - else"... well, there's not a lot to debate, is there?

Moving the Yough Offending Service base from the centre of Southwark minimising travelto it for its users and for the staff to travel out down to East Dulwich Road makes little economic, social or environmental sense. This is occuring at the same time as selling of council buildings in the centre of borough.

So offenders will now have longer journeys to keep appointments. So probably more will fail to attend on time with subsequent concsequences OR shown leniency which kind of defeats the point of having an appointment.

2/3rd of Southwarks population lives north of Peckham Road. Locating the YOS so far south of Peckham Road makes no sense unless its to serve another agenda.

Is that fact or political opinion?

ED is much more accessable by bus and train than many areas of Southwark, thus increasing the chances of offenders being able to make their appointments. Additionally, being outside of zone 1 it is cheaper for them to travel there, again raising engagement, and minimising the council's outlay in reimbursing fares.

There is also many social studies that indicate that individuals raise their behaviour to their environment. Having such a service in East Dulwich instead of Old Kent Rd for instance, is likely to have a beneficial impact on the behaviour of the service's client group.

See what I did there?

Sazzle30 Wrote:

> From Reading the forum in past few months I get

> the feeling that those who frequent the forum (

> yes generalising before I start a rant) are of the

> left

Many of the established posters are (with a couple of notable but welcome exceptions), but the opposite seems true of a lot of newer posters. It's good to have a mixture of opinions, but some people who have materialised recently just make me want to bang my head against the wall.

Oh James...change the record. Firstly I asked you on another thread to provide evidence of any financial factors behind the move (because I suspect saving money is responsible for the move). You have provided no evidence of 'little economic sense'.

So let's move onto social or environmental sense......what do you mean by that? I think you mean not having undesirable teens walking the streets of leafy ED....as though ED has no offending youths of it's own. I can tell you that it does.

And as for poor offenders having to get an extra bus etc...tough....all part of the punishement for offending in the first place. Punishment is not about 'convenience' James.

Some people love to argue for the sake of arguing.

Of course no one want this here, no one wants it anywhere, whether it be in Peckham, Bermondsey, Camberwell or the Castle, so why argue the point that your fine with it, its pathetic, arguing for the sake of arguing. The fact is it has to go somewhere, and some area is going to have it forced upon them. No one in their right mind can honestly say that they are alright with the prospect of some of Southwarks biggest criminals travelling down to ED on a daily basis and walking around, people in the Castle would feel exactly the same.