Youth offenders unit moving to east dulwich rd

summer

Hi Craig,

The unit is simply a place for the probation and rehabilitation services. It's not a youth club...where criminal gangs get to hang out all day. Also 'once a criminal always a criminal' is not true either. There are many examples of young people who have not re-offended and have gone on to become productive members of society.

I actually do live next door to teenage offenders......and I work voluntarily within the local community to tackle things like teenage crime...and have had some success. I've had my car vandalised, my garage broken into by teenage burglars so please spare me the 'you don't know what you are talking about' mantra.

Unproven claims??? Where is your proof then that this will not have an impact on local crime?? You say there is no proof, but what more proof do you want than the fact that these kids have already commited crime and that the rates of reoffending for someone who has already been convicted are increased because of it. How is that not evidence. What evidence do you have to support your own argument. How can you garuntee me and others that there will not be an increase in local crime? convince me of that as you purport to be able to and I will agree with you, until then, dont shove your moral prowess down my neck.

You dont challenge DJ you dictate your opinions as the right ones, and then cannot accept it when someones opinions differ from yours. You contradict yourself and do not back up your own arguments. Its just a shame because some of the points you raise sometimes are perfectly valid, but there is absolutely no point in discussing them because you always have to be right, even when your not.

OK - so you're admitting that (a) you live next door to wrong doers (b) you've had you're car vandalised and your garage broken into. Mmm... wonder who did that?

Likewise you please spare me the whole 'Elizabeth Fry' routine. Just because you help people who actively decide to go against the system it doesn't mean you're respected by them enough for them to spare them your house / car / garage.

Once a stinking criminal, always a stinking criminal ISN'T far off the mark. Explain exactly how 'many' sort themselves out / go on to commit unseen crimes that are never accounted for. You've seen it on the TV - the skanks of this country think everyone owes them something and they'll take regardless or being caught or whether they've already been caught

Not really Jeremy. Havent you heard we want to invite all of those lovely, pleasent rioters down to ED from all over Southwark as they come and see their probation officers. Maybe DJKQ could stand out in the street and give them cups of tea and cake, whilst rehabilitating them.

Strange isnt it how teh otehr day you wanted to use water cannon and batons against these kids, and now want to invite them over for tea and crumpets- amazing what fear does to a person isnt it and how quickly they forget.

edresi - I can only think you are thought-deficient

If someone is rioting and looting you deploy force

If someone has commited low-level crime and is being monitored or rehabilitated, you "keep an eye on them"

The two scenarios aren't even remotely comparable

Criminals exist - what we do with them dictates how best we avoid them repeating. You can;t lock them all up for ever. Even you can figure out the maths on that one right? So some of them have to be released (do you see where this is going?) You can release them and forget about them and hope for the best.. or you can try a bit harder and keep an eye on them

If crime rates go up in ED and other areas in the next 5 years, it's more likely because the economy as a whole continues to tank. Not because of the unitrelocating to the area

No....the desire to see the end to a riot is not the same discussion as the role of a youth offending unit. There is no contradiction in my views. I believe those that do wrong should be punished and I am particularly tough on those that use violence.

Many of the young people attending the unit have been guilty of low level crime and vandalism and are not beyond rehabilitation. Violent offenders are locked away in secure units by the courts. How many times do I have to point that out?

Let's be clear on what a YOS is and the kind of work it does and the kinds of young people it services. Southwark has many areas of the YOS and they aren't all going to be based at ED.

Go and do some research for heaven's sake.

Edited to say crossed post with SJ who says the same thing.

Craig83 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Straferjack has a thing for you Jeremy. I'd keep

> your back to wall for a while unless you're that

> way inclined

I didn't know we had Jim Davidson on the forum. Brilliant.. everyone loves a poofter joke. Well done you.

some extraordinary views in this thread.

i've just read the whole thing and cannot see a single example of DJKQ trying to bully anyone, or do anything other than offer considered opinion rooted in personal experience...whereas some of the other knee-jerk conjecture that she's had to counter is laughable.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> does everyone know that? do they?

Exactly my response when I read that nonsense.

I'm another one who has had my disagreements with DJ (as well as agreements), and admit that her writing style can get under my skin. But, some of the posts here are just rude.

edresi10 - I stand by my belief that we should be tough on criminals. I just think the arguments against the centre moving to East Dulwich are motivated purely by self interest.

Craig83 - Thanks for removing your homophobic "joke", it could have offended someone. And I can assure you that SJ doesn't have a "thing" for me, his views are often quite different to mine... but at least he's thought them through.