Football Focus

jenniejenjen10

I'm suprised Walcott was selected in front of Milner or Wright-Phillips yeaterday. He has been very poor for Arsenal and looks like he lacks confidence. I can only assume Capello wanted a look at him before he decides his final squad. I don't think he did himself any favours. I have only ever seen him play one good game, and that was when he scored the hat-trick against Croatia.

He doesn't seem to be getting selected for Chelsea at the moment either. I'd have him in front of most other candidates. Remember the goal he scored against Sweden in the last world cup? That's an indication of what he's capable of.

Spain got an impressive away win against France last night. They're a brilliant team with some great players such as Villa, Torres, Iniesta, Xavi, Silva. Having said that it means nothing at this stage if they peak too soon. I think Argentina may suprise everyone despite just about managing to qualify. They have some great young players playing in the Spanish and Italian leagues.

Atila Reincarnate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ruffers Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Atila Reincarnate Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > ratty Wrote:

> > >

> >

>

> >

> > > -----

> > > > Man's Game - get over it Gooners! :p

> > >

> > >

> > > Mans game, hmmmm, it may have escaped your

> > notice

> > > but women also play this game.

> >

> > At which point that is a woman's game. When men

> > play it's a man's game.

>

>

> Go to the top of the class for your incisive

> powers of observation.

I assumed you hadn't realised as you brought in the fact women play it to a thread about Arsenal not being up to the physical challenge. hth.

And re Patrick Barclay - the key words in this sentence for me - "What we saw yesterday for me was completely unacceptable in the same way as it was unacceptable when Martin Taylor inadvertently, accidentally broke Eduardo's leg," are indavertently and accidentally.

Sh?t happens in a contact sport. I broke a lad's leg in schools football. I got my collar bone broken in schools rugby.

We either accept these things can happen, or turn football into a non contact sport and that prospect fills me with horror.

titch juicy Wrote:

> let's get a couple of important facts straight

>

> 2. arsenal aren't winning trophies because wenger

> seems to pathologically refuse buying the correct

> players to win things in england

>

arsenal aren't winning trophies because wenger refuses to buy players for inflated prices on stupid salaries that would put the future sustainability of the club in doubt (see debt situation at e.g. Utd and imagine situation at e.g. Chelsea or Man City if/when the bank roll is removed)(and yes arsenal do have debt, but they did get a big new stadium for it)

as an arsenal supporter, i think that he's doing the right thing

Argentina should be one of the favourites but the way they struggled to qualify suggests Maradona is not going to turn into a good enough Manager before start of World Cup.

What I saw of England last night is that they have the same defects of Hollywood passing and ball watching as they do leading into all major Championships. Not enough pace in midfield and quite frankly when you cut through the reputations do England have enough players that cut the mustard to even reach the semi finals?

Walcott has gone backwards in my opinion since his Southampton days. Bit like Michael Owen in his pomp his chief asset is pace but I don't think he is technically good enough to play the wing at the top level.

I thought England looked plodding, and as you say Matthew, there was a distinct lack of pace in midfield. Carrick improved things when he came on with his composure and passing. I think the so-called 'golden generation' are past it now. I really think Capello will do well to get this team to the semis. As well as Argentina, Spain, Brazil I think Holland can also be considered a strong dark horse. They started the last european chanmpionships in stunning form but got out -dutched by Hiddink and Russia. They still have much of that team in place.

ruffers Wrote:

> Atila Reincarnate Wrote:

> -----

> > ruffers Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Atila Reincarnate Wrote:

> > >

> >

>

> >

> > > -----

> > > > ratty Wrote:

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

> >

> > >

> > > > -----

> > > > > Man's Game - get over it Gooners! :p

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Mans game, hmmmm, it may have escaped your

> > > notice

> > > > but women also play this game.

> > >

> > > At which point that is a woman's game. When

> men

> > > play it's a man's game.

> >

> >

> > Go to the top of the class for your incisive

> > powers of observation.

>

> I assumed you hadn't realised as you brought in

> the fact women play it to a thread about Arsenal

> not being up to the physical challenge. hth.

>

> And re Patrick Barclay - the key words in this

> sentence for me - "What we saw yesterday for me

> was completely unacceptable in the same way as it

> was unacceptable when Martin Taylor inadvertently,

> accidentally broke Eduardo's leg," are

> indavertently and accidentally.

> Sh?t happens in a contact sport. I broke a lad's

> leg in schools football. I got my collar bone

> broken in schools rugby.

>

> We either accept these things can happen, or turn

> football into a non contact sport and that

> prospect fills me with horror.

Yes well done, missed the point by a country mile. Did you read ALL of his article or did you just focus on that part. So what if you broke your collar bone, what's that got do with it. Talk about miss the point. My son has broken both feet, and his wrist all while playing football, one was as a result of falling akwardly the other two as a result of very dodgy challeges.

Amidst all this debate about how Arsenal are roughed up I wonder if anyone remembers the sickening challenge Gallas made on Davis of Bolton in the 4-2 home win a month ago? He went over the ball and his intent was to injure. He caught Davis on the ankle and it's amazing how he didn't break it. He didn't. But it seems to be intent that is Wenger's biggest gripe and this was a case of an Arsenal player intending to damage an opponent.

jimmy two times Wrote:

> Amidst all this debate about how Arsenal are

> roughed up I wonder if anyone remembers the

> sickening challenge Gallas made on Davis of Bolton

> in the 4-2 home win a month ago? He went over the

> ball and his intent was to injure. He caught Davis

> on the ankle and it's amazing how he didn't break

> it. He didn't. But it seems to be intent that is

> Wenger's biggest gripe and this was a case of an

> Arsenal player intending to damage an opponent.

I was at that game and there was no intent to injure, but I would say that, just you would say there was as a spuds fan. Remember the tackle that put Diaby out for best part of year also went unpunished, not even a yellow card and it was in the last few minutes of the last game of the season if memory serves me correctly with both sides having nothing much to play for other than pride.

I hope this never happens, but when a Manc, spuds, or any other player has a leg broken by a horror challenge, we'll see how quick you all are to kiss and make up, and let's see how your respective managers respond. Lets just say we agree to disagree at this stage as clearly neither faction is going to win over the other side.

jimmy two times Wrote:

> Come again ! No intent to injure on Gallas's part!

> Now I know you're just on one big wind up.

Hatchet boy read what I've written properly, I was there and I don't think there was and you, unsurprisingly, think there was. As I said previously, neither faction will convince the other that they are right so let it go. As I keep saying, let's wait and see how you all react when one, not 3, of your players has had a limb broken as a result of a challenge.

So what if you were there. I saw it on telly and the replays highlighted what Gallas was trying to do. The debate here is intent. Wenger says that a lot of teams are going out with the intent to injure his players. He may have a point. But here was an example of one of his players intending to injure an opponent. I wonder if he gave Gallas a bolloking afterwards if he is so against dangerous play? I'd hope so and he'd certainly go up in my estimation if he did.