How do we get people to use the Search facility

ed_pete

I have added "Please search for a cleaner/builder/tiler etc before posting a wanted ad" next to the text box in the wanted section, but I don't know other than that. I'll wait for an idea to arrive and then try that.

Making people put an "I'm looking for" question in the wanted section is hard enough

[edited once]

Replying to my own question, how about a sticky in the "General ED issues / gossip" and "Wanted, offered & recommendations" sections with the heading "PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION - IT MAY HAVE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED. IF YOU DON'T THEN PREPARE TO RECEIVE SHORT SHRIFT"

There have been stickies with etiquette in the past, and various discussion around this.

But human nature the way it is*, we just have to put up with it and as you did, leave a little suggestion for next time.

*man finds out about forum, man wants a driving range, man posts asking for one, man may not be well versed in netiquette and indeed it may be man's one and only visit to the forum until man thinks hmm I wonder what's a good curry house and man revisits with new posting.

Ho hum, what can you do?

When someone posts a new thread, could you have a pop-up box that asks them if they've already searched? They then have to click yes before they can post the thread. Not foolproof of course but may reduce duplication a bit and at least make people consider it before posting.

The thing is, I don't know why we all get so annoyed by the duplication, surely we can just ignore it, and us more old skool users can try and post links to older threads.

Besides, just because we had a conversation a while back, a load of newly registered people may wish to have that same conversation.

It does annoy me when people don't search for a plumber or something though.

I can't believe people don't just google the key

words in their question more often, but that's just me.

I sometimes think that, but often people (inc me) want a bit of human contact. Sometimes you can strike lucky doing a search, sometimes you get a load of crap.

I don't mind new treads repeating old topics - maybe there are different Yoga classes now. But I get annyoed with multiple threads at the same time.

• 2 months later...