Rugby World Cup

Mick Mac

Scots could say they should have had a pen for offside at the end which would have won it for them. Enjoyable game though and makes the prospect of England v Scotland that much more appealing as there is more at stake. I don't think that's a foregone conclusion though from listening and reading you would think England had already won the group.

The Russians scored two great tries against Ireland. It's good to have the so called 2nd tier nations at the RWC but then they go and make it as hard for them as is possible with them having less time between games. They naturally enough are saving their best team for the matches they might win which means they are in some cases putting out their 2nd string in the games against the top teams and being hammered. That's not really sport when it's such an uneven playing field.

My bet for the Final is The AB's v France.

A big relief to see the AB's giving France the beating they deserved (from a kiwi point of view anyway)... although almost a shame that the game wasn't more of a challenge for them as they haven't really had to play under pressure yet and a big line up of teams to meet now on the road to the final.

Poor Mr Pickle was almost in tears watching Scotland this morning, such a shame, they should have won.

I popped into that new Rose pub the other day and they'll be opening early and showing the quarters onwards on the big screen. Having said that, I went in to to watch the football and was one of about 8 people in there. Still can't complain about not having a good view I guess....

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Looks like Wales as possible quarter final

> opponents if Ireland win the group. Also looks

> like Ireland should have done enough already to

> get through even if they were to lose to Italy

> which is significantly better than 4 years ago.

Well - I was wrong about that wasn't I - Its lose to Italy and we are out. Knockout rugby from here on.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Might be a bit nerve raking Sunday morning. The

> Italy forwards have said it will be a war and they

> will make it a long hard night for Ireland.

>

> Best to nip it in the bud and score a couple of

> early tries.

>

> Ireland 40 : Italy 10

>

> Pizza Cake.....:)

Italy aren't releasing the ball quick enough and are relying on forwards to drive it - too much dithering around the ruck. AND they made lots of mistake against USA.

If Ireland forwards hold firm, supply quick ball and the backs run them - then they should win no problem.

Magpie Wrote:

> The clocks seem to have gone back in NZ, as

> kick-off appears to be 8.30am, is that right? bit

> early for a pint, but I'm sure I'll cope

Yes that's right - daylight savings started in NZ last weekend.

I wouldn't put it past Scotland to win. England after all were very lucky to beat Argentina while Scotland were unlucky to lose. The return of Ewan Murray will help the Scots forwards. You are right katie7896, an 8 point win will do so long as England don't get a bonus point by scoring 4 tries.

ETA How can you be for everyone katie5436? I suspect you're the sort that gives sports watchers a bad name by changing sides every few minutes. 'Oh, they're losing now. Come on them. Soon to be followed by 'come on the others' when the score changes.

Dear Alan,

You cheeky monkey, I could never change sides whilst watching sports depending on who is winning or not. It was just my way of saying may the best team win. I don't think I will be able to watch the Scotland/England game though my english friends living in NZ certainly will be :)

katie865322903245

I watched a good deal of Samoa v SA this morning. Loved the way Samoa played and they were unlucky. However I have gripe with Steve Ryder telling the nation that Fiji need to beat Wales by 60+ points to knock them out. Not true. If Fiji get 5 points (win plus 4 tries) and Wales get none (lose by more than 7 and don't score 4 tries) then they could qualify by winning 20-12 for example. That's 8 points and a long way from 60+. It's not rocket science and I'd expect a presenter to get his facts right.

ETA I wonder should I contact the Welsh management and let them know. Gareth Thomas certainly didn't as he was delighted to be told that by Steve Ryder.