maxxi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not really - they played in the last 5 world cups

> and bid to host this one and have lots of clubs

> out there.

>

> Also all the home nations have had foreign players

> qualify by residency - some not even legally

> (remember Wales and 'Grannygate' back in 2000?).

Hmm. I'll stop mouthing off, then. Fanks.

I think that's harsh on Phillips. Southern hemisphere teams often seem to have a greater propensity for converting pressure to points. Priestland missing from in front of the posts, the forwards getting shoved off the ball on the SA 22 were lapses that cost them the game. Just not clinical enough and we see it time and again.

I was using Phillips as an example of scrum half play that bugs me. It can become so dress rehearsed that there is no element of surprise. So many times when they are looking around to see what's on they get turned over. I just think that sometimes they should just pick and go. If you don't know what the plan is your opponents certainly won't.

That said the late drop goal and penalty misses should have won Wales the game.

That was torture. Kept expecting Ireland to blow it. As they say, forwards win matches and in this case the backs decided it should be too close for comfort. Can't remember the last time a sporting event made me so nervous.

Not sure you kiwi's should be too happy. You may have to play the Aussies before the final now. Wonder what the odds are on an NZ v France final as in 87?

When the Ireland forwards are in this mood they can control games. Trouble is its quite rare recently. Paul O Connell interview was very low key afterwards which shows they are not getting ahead of themselves.

Looks like Wales as possible quarter final opponents if Ireland win the group. Also looks like Ireland should have done enough already to get through even if they were to lose to Italy which is significantly better than 4 years ago.

I'd a small bet on Ireland with an 11.5 pts handicap. Just to win was about 5/1. It now looks like one European half to the draw with the tri nations being in the other. Ireland could potentially win or lose to any of those possible opponents as well as to Italy. No point in getting too excited.

Did Tommy Bowe not think to kick the ball crossfield when he knew he was being run down at the end? There was empty space apart from two Irish players there. A certain try.