Rugby World Cup

Mick Mac

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Some older rugby fans might be interested in a

> programme tonight on the Lions 1971 visit to NZ.

> It's on BBC1 Wales @ 10.35pm. However it is on

> other BBC channels next week too.

>

> Good luck Wales tomorrow though whoever wins I'd

> like to see them win it outright. One for the NH.

>

> I attach 'My Story', an amateur effort written

> this summer for the purposes of an annual family

> event. A mixture of fact and fiction. I hope it

> amuses someone.

Very good Declan. Nice to read.

Ed Morrison, head of elite referee development at the Rugby Football Union, confirmed on Radio 5 live that referee Alain Rolland was "100% right" to send off Warburton, adding that dropping a player from shoulder level is automatic red card.

Wales should have won regardless. They missed some kicks.

Quite agree with AM. The ref didn't miss those kicks.

I've been trying to find the rules on red cards in these circumstances and came across a memorandum issued in Feb on dangerous tackles on the IRB website, referring to high tackles specifically, but mentioning tip tackles.

The purpose of this Memorandum is to emphasise that as with tip tackles, they must be dealt with severely by Referees and all those involved in the off-field disciplinary process.

It is recognised of course, as with other types of illegal and/or foul play, depending on the circumstances of the high tackle, the range of sanctions extends from a penalty kick to the player receiving a red card. An illegal high tackle involving a stiff arm or swinging arm to the head of the opponent, with no regard to the player?s safety, bears all the hallmarks of an action which should result in a red card or a yellow card being seriously considered.

Referees and Citing Commissioners should not make their decisions based on what they consider was the intention of the offending player. Their decision should be based on an objective assessment (as per Law 10.4(e)) of the overall circumstances of the tackle.

Given tip tackles are more dangerous, Ed Morrison's comment is not surprising.

A ref's forum

Someone needs to defend him........

I think what upset most people (on TV) was their expectations of what the game would be like were ruined. What we got was a different but still exceptional game, mostly from Wales. Could 14 menovercome the disadvantage, and how?

"Rolland u've had a shocker.... Not the first time either!!! Were not here to watch u...." This is what Mark Cueto Tweeted about the red card. He could have been talking about England.

I think it's worth a punt. I'm surprised it's so much in a two horse race. The French team has great players. If they click on the day they could easily push the AB's all the way. Everyone has been saying they always have one great performance, and it certainly hasn't happened yet. Maybe Sunday.

I backed France from the start at 13 to 1. I'm a bit miffed that I could have waited until the final and still got 7s. I also for the record had a tenner on ireland before anyone asks how many other teams I backed.

Think 4 to 1 might be more realistic odds for the final. France are the All Blacks world cup bogey team after all. They would probably rather have played Wales?

After this weekends performances I really don't think the French have a hope in hell. I know all the chat about you never know who's going to turn up with them, but I wouldn't give them 30/1.

PS Is there anywhere in ED that sells chocolate hats, just in case?

this is interesting as the commentator says before the game:

"France are still experimenting - trying to find the back division that will recreate that traditional French flair...."

Sounds familiar but 43 french points later....and after being 24-10 down. France triumph.