Theresa May has banned marches for 30 days.

Ridgley

Chippy Minton Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't believe I have taken it out of context - I

> find your "naughty children" comparison offensive.

I think you are just really, really trying to be offended.

> Yes, I would deprive the EDL of their "right" to march through Tower Hamlets not because I don't

> believe in human right..

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.

-Noam Chomsky

What crime is the EDL guilty of? Because, you know, if it is really inciting racial hatred etc as claimed, there are laws to deal with it already. You don't ban the march. You let it go ahead and, if a law is broken, you swoop down on the perpetrator. Isn't that policing?!

This is a dangerous precedent. I think the views of the EDL are abhorrent but they have a right to express them. Banning marches will not make the problem go away, it will make their supporters feel like resentful martyrs and give th legitimate cause for complaint.

Also it allows the government licence to ban any marches which oppose government policy or on issues they don't like. This is a step closer to totalitarianism and with the impending economic crises and subsequent social fallout, does not bode well.

here are their views

"If you, like us, are fed up and sick to the back teeth of Islamic Extremism in the UK, then sign up and join the struggle with the English Defence League and start protesting peacefully with us today."

........apparently they are opposing suicide bombing on the london underground, the fact they are borne out of the Luton MIGS and have a mixed race group of hooligans behind them, how exactly are their views abhorrent ?

They may be a problem for the export of liberal capitalism but outside of that cultural destructive locust what's abhorrent ?

Personally shooting your own elected prime minister because he is too left is abhorrent, the extremist's within Islam would have supported that...funny world of blinkered twits we live amongst.

NB : Yitzhak Rabin

They're a nasty, violent bunch of right-wing extremists. If you don't think that's a problem, you're either stupid, or your own views are abhorrent.

Of course it's a problem - the question is how to tackle them. To what extent in a democracy is it right to stifle opinions, however objectionable?

Let them wither in the sunlight of contempt, rational argument and humour - don't persecute them into a martyr complex.

Loz wrote

-----------------------------------------

Then I hope you would not be too shocked when the same legislation is used to ban your next union march. Or whatever cause you back.

Because history tells us that is what will happen.

Also, chippy - I really hope you do not claim to be a supporter of human rights and free speech.

There some interesting points, but I have to agree with Loz on some of his points if we start to ban anything we don?t like then there will be legislation for the coalition to ban any matches regardless. I think the best thing to with EDL is to have there leader on Question Time like they did with Nick Griffin and this will show them up for what they really are a bunch of racist nutters with no foundation.

I'm not happy with the idea of people trying to push Muslim values onto the non-Muslim population. But I don't believe this is at all common, even in Tower Hamlets. And I'm certainly not comfortable with this event being used as ammunition by a bunch of lowlife thugs such as the EDL.