Live bus info....

morty

Oh.... that is brilliant. I knew it was on the way but was just thinking today that it had all gone quiet. Now waiting for the iPhone app!

Might be useful if someone checks an ED bus stop to note the number here to save us all having to do the same?

The Lordship Lane/Wood Vale ones are

Northbound - 73134

Southbound - 50453

Article on the BBC website here

Apparently, it isn't officially launched yet and this is just user-testing.

Another useful feature is being able to save your favourite stops; my nearest ones to home are now bookmarked. And if there's one bus on it that you never care out, you can just filter it out of the results.

It's going to be particularly useful when you've got the option of two routes to your destination, the slower option arrives first and you've got no idea whether it's worth waiting for the faster one or not.

And while there's no app yet, there is a mobile version here

I have reservations. It would be OK if we had this in addition to countdown displays at bus stops, but I believe that this is being pushed as a cheaper alternative.

Muggers looking to steal phones already target bus stops, this is hardly going to help the problem.

And of course, not everybody has a web-enabled phone.

Hallelujah, hallelujah, hall - e - - e- lu - jah, etc. Whoever managed to get this done, pls can they be made Prime Minister, without delay.

Now can we have computerised diagnosis in doctor's waiting rooms, so you would fill out a multiple choice questionnaire during your 20 to 40 minute wait, which is then read by an OCR reader, so by the time people get in to see the doc, the doc has a list of things to follow up, which has drawn on all current medical knowledge (rather than just a combination of what they happen to remember that morning and how hacked off they were by the last patient they saw?) (This is relevant to the thread, it is another item from the list of obvious very useful things that could be done with technology).

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When this is fully live, tested and stable it

> should mean its possible for public indicator

> boards could be added to bus stops without going

> via TfL hugely bloated excessively costly official

> countdown programme for them. I live in hope.

> Every bus stop should have an indicator board.

Surely it's a waste of public funds installing all that hardware and running/maintaining it when so many people have smartphones anyway?

Surely it's a waste having cheap supermarkets when people can buy takeout all the time?

That was the problem with the Irish. No famine. Just a potato blight. They were just picky eaters. Could afford a ticket to america tho innit? Bloody whingers

More seriously. A lot of people just don't want a smartphone. A lot of people (and people who use buses to boot) wouldn't know where to begin with a smartphone. But look at a screen at a bus stop? Yeah, that's doable (admittedly expensive mind)

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surely it's a waste having cheap supermarkets when

> people can buy takeout all the time?

>

> That was the problem with the Irish. No famine.

> Just a potato blight. They were just picky eaters.

> Could afford a ticket to america tho innit?

> Bloody whingers

>

> More seriously. A lot of people just don't want a

> smartphone. A lot of people (and people who use

> buses to boot) wouldn't know where to begin with a

> smartphone. But look at a screen at a bus stop?

> Yeah, that's doable (admittedly expensive mind)

It would be great to put digital displays in all London's bus stops or even all the UK's bus stops, and it might even boost the economy by making transport more efficient - but I thought money was tight. We need to save all that precious tax revenue so we can keep bailing out our dysfunctional banks.